Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The book was released after he had been sacked though. Why shouldn't he give his side of the story under those circumstances?

There were 16 cricketers who failed in that Ashes tour, KP was the only one scapegoated by Cook, Downton and Co.

Fair point, but if he wanted a return (its happened before) he should have just put his head down and played cricket.

I wonder if the dressing room is the main driving force behind him not being allowed to come back?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair point, but if he wanted a return (its happened before) he should have just put his head down and played cricket.

I wonder if the dressing room is the main driving force behind him not being allowed to come back?

Cook certainly, Anderson possibly. Root was texting KP last week asking for technical advice, so can't see him being anti FIGJAM.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Listening to the ex-England players who are now pundits it would appear the majority of them think that KP should be in the side. Therefore, you have to assume they think England are more likely to win with him in the team than not in the team.

I'm sure pretty much everyone who has bought a ticket or watches on TV will also prefer to watch an England team with KP in it.

Lastly, I'm sure the Aussies think their chances of retaining the Ashes have just improved following Strauss's decision.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
H
Listening to the ex-England players who are now pundits it would appear the majority of them think that KP should be in the side. Therefore, you have to assume they think England are more likely to win with him in the team than not in the team.

I'm sure pretty much everyone who has bought a ticket or watches on TV will also prefer to watch an England team with KP in it.

Lastly, I'm sure the Aussies think their chances of retaining the Ashes have just improved following Strauss's decision.
I'm sure they will.....after they've stopped laughing!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Matthew Hayden makes an excellent point today, who would want the England Head Coach's role when it's abundantly clear the suits at the ECB still hold all the strings on who plays for England.

You're advertising for a role to take control of the England team, while at the same time deciding on who can or cannot play. It's like saying you don't have much say in who plays, but when they don't play well - you take the can.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Strauss is going to get a very hard time if we don't do well this summer (and I suspect that will be the case). Hasn't really started yet and has sacked the coach and KO'd KP - I think the second one is the bigger mistake. If by some fluke we do well this summer then obviously he is a genius, wouldn't hold your breath on that one though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pieterson will be in one of Morgan's boxes surveying the scene as England are 100-5 like the Roman Emperor in Gladiator. As the Sky cameras lap it up, the circus will roll on.

Unless we find out the real reason why he isn't in the team, because lets face it, it's not as if it's about a few texts and him being a bit vain, there will be a clamour for him to come back. Without knowing the detail it's difficult to know whom to back but the ECB have made a complete balls up of this one. You can't say score runs in one breath, then when he does so and more bring up 'trust' issues. It's a PR own goal. Unless he's done something like sleep with another players wife, I can't understand why they would go the route they have done. It's not as if we can't do with a batsman who can score triple centuries even if it is against Leicestershire buffet bowling.

As for the one day thing - Cook is not involved which may explain the job offer. Who knows.
Wise words.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Matthew Hayden makes an excellent point today, who would want the England Head Coach's role when it's abundantly clear the suits at the ECB still hold all the strings on who plays for England.

You're advertising for a role to take control of the England team, while at the same time deciding on who can or cannot play. It's like saying you don't have much say in who plays, but when they don't play well - you take the can.
As Jimmy Mulville said yesterday re the BBC, BBC3, and it's potential license 'issues':-

'It's never a good idea when your strategies are applauded by your rivals'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And if he plays the result is completely different? I don't think so.

Actually the argument shouldn't be about him actually playing, it's actually about him be able to play IF selected. As Vaughan said, why go to the trouble of excluding him when you can simply say with Ballance, Bell, Root at 3, 4 and 5, KP simply doesn't get in the team right now?

The result would probably be the same if he's in or out, however the ECB have taken an elephant in the room and turned it into a woolly mammoth.

They've tried to look strong and decisive, instead they look weak and divisive.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Actually the argument shouldn't be about him actually playing, it's actually about him be able to play IF selected. As Vaughan said, why go to the trouble of excluding him when you can simply say with Ballance, Bell, Root at 3, 4 and 5, KP simply doesn't get in the team right now?

The result would probably be the same if he's in or out, however the ECB have taken an elephant in the room and turned it into a woolly mammoth.

People talk about how important someone like a Calderon will be in the dressing room....it works both ways.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The whole thing is a complete cock up. The ECB is a shambles of clueless yes men.

is KP good enough? the answer is obviously yes....... so why isnt he picked? because rumours have it our useless out of form "job for life" captain did a me or him ultimatum.....

Could you imagine Bryan Robson saying as much to Fergie when he wanted to buy Cantona? or West Ham Players when serial trouble maker Di Canio was drafted in (based on talent).

What If Ricky Ponting didnt like Shane Warne, would it even be conceivable to drop him from the Aussie team?

This is a case of the wrong people being given to much power, Alastair Cook youre a clueless knob. Its a privilege to play for England, and the choice of who else plays is not yours, it is only your job to manage on the field, and you should be dropped anyway.

But this whole sham of appointing Strauss into the equivalent of a Director of football role, is a joke.
Not only does any new coach have no power to pick the players he wants, Strauss has already told him who his captain and vice captain will be for the summer, despite how results and form may go and that he cant pick Englands best batsman for a generation.

The fans are been stitched up by clueless and petty prats in the ECB who have blackballed our most talented player on a personal whim rather than try to rise tothe challenge of managing him and they have already undermined any serious coach...... so who will the ECB Yes man be, that tows the Strauss/Cook fiefdom line?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As far as I can see, this is all caused by Colin Graves shooting his mouth off.

Pietersen was told he would not be picked after the last Ashes and rather than trying to prove people wrong by scoring runs in County Cricket, he plays a bit of one day stuff around the world, rights a book slagging everyone off and gets the O2 Waster that is Piers Morgan to tubthump his cause. So at this stage there is no real call for poor Kevin to come back into the side.

Now during the Windies tour, Graves portraying all the typical Yorkshire characteristics, says there might be a way back, even though he is not in the job yet. Cue Pietersen getting out of his greatly reduced IPL contract, showing what a philander he is by giving his Surrey wage to charity and playing County Cricket. Now he has got the runs (granted against some students and Leicestershire team that has not won a red ball game in 2 years) and the whole thing comes to a head, again.

So maybe Strauss is already having to clear somebody else's mess up, but is looking the bad guy in all this.

Lets not forget that the Safer import has been sacked by England 3 times, so has some form.

In reality there is an argument that there is not a spot for him in the middle order for England. Balance, Bell and Root have all got decent runs for the side since the Ashes debacle. So he could come back as an opener, but would his ego / technique allow this? He would probably want the number 4 spot as this is the prize one in the middle order.

For England there problems are more around replacing Strauss (still at the top of the order), magicing a front line spinner from somewhere and find a third seamer that can take wickets (would not be an issue if Saker had not been intent on messing with everyones actions).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here