Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ketchup on roast dinner?

Do you put ketchup on your roast dinner?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 114 90.5%
  • Yawn

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you like it - no problem. I hate food fascism.

As long as the food you are eating is good and you like it, simply ignore everyone else.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
When I was a kid, I used to fill my yorkshire pudding with the stuff.

Now, because I am refined and cultured in all things culinary, I would liken it to being a Heathen.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Ketchup can go with 99% of my meals... but not Roast lamb

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
totally and utterly wrong - if i saw somebody applying ketchup to a roast i would have no problem in giving them a pretty firm boot to the face

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is NOTHING wrong with ketchup as long as you buy the good stuff. I use it all the time to sweeten tomato sauces and even a small drop in salad dressings.

When I make my own fish and chips, it's the first thing on the table.

Interesting comment above about it being "chavy" to put on Chinese food.... especially when you look up the origin of the word.

They wouldn't have used tomatoes - but ketchup is very similar to reduced sweet eastern sauces and I'd imagine that even the most authentic Chinese/Asian restaurants keep a bottle in the kitchen... as do Indian restaurants. No surprise that Worcester Sauce is also very common in the Chinese grocers in London.

If you have a problem eating meat and potatoes with sauces made from vinegar and tomatoes - don't bother visiting Spain. You will be very disappointed. There are of course places in Spain that will do a nice English roast dinner....

It's also very good for you - (although you would probably be better off with tomato puree), because it contains high concentrations of lycopene.

So basically - bollocks to anyone who says you can't eat it with a roast. If you like it, eat it.

Last edited:

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
for a roastie?

Lamb-mint sauce/gravy
Turkey-Cranberry Sauce/gravy
Chicken-Apple Sauce/gravy
Beef-Gravy/gravy
Pork-Gravy
Duck-Gravy

Roasties are dominated by gravy.

Ketchup is a fast food sauce, not belonging to the likes of a roast dinner.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I wouldn't have it on a roast - but it is a far better thing than simply than "fast food sauce"...

Is HP sauce a "fast food sauce" ? What about Tobasco ?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
for a roastie?

Lamb-mint sauce/gravy
Turkey-Cranberry Sauce/gravy
Chicken-Apple Sauce/gravy
Beef-Gravy/gravy
Pork-Gravy
Duck-Gravy

Roasties are dominated by gravy.

Ahem, horseradish? Apple Sauce?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No place on a roast. For what it's worth, ketchup is at its best with saveloy and chips.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Ahem, horseradish? Apple Sauce?

God knows Spider, this was more me rather than the whole world of what sauces go with roasts. But yes I did miss out horseradish and Apple sauce. But you get my meaning, Ketchup's tangy tomato flavour is no place for a sunday roast.

Sep 1, 2010
Even forgetting putting it on roast dinner which is bad enough, i personally think Tomato sauce is baby food, for people that cannot taste food properly, F'kin disgusting vile cak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here