Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenwyne Jones to Bournemouth

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
It is incredible to think that such a mediocre footballer such as Kenwynne Jones can command a salary of £160,000 a month. That is nearly £2million a year for a journeyman forward who has been a serviceable but hardly earth shattering player.

I would like him to play for us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is incredible to think that such a mediocre footballer such as Kenwynne Jones can command a salary of £160,000 a month. That is nearly £2million a year for a journeyman forward who has been a serviceable but hardly earth shattering player.

Not as good as the Seth Johnson story. He was on £7,000 a week at Derby, Leeds wanted to sign him (for £7 million).

His agent said they would ask for £20k a week but should settle for £15k.

Leeds opening offer was £25k a week. Johnson and his agent looked at each other in shock, asked to go out of the room. They went out and were giggling like schoolgirls. They opened the door ready to agree the deal, and Peter Ridsdale, the Leeds chairman, thinking Johnson would say no, increased the offer to £37k a week.

Johnson played 59 games for Leeds over 4 years. They wouldn't let him play a 60th game, as it would have meant paying Derby more money, and Leeds were skint by then.

Johnson returned to Derby, played the vast majority of games over the next two seasons, helped get them up into the Premier League via the playoffs, but was injured in the 87th minute at Wembley and had to retire, aged 28.

He's only 36 today.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
You see different figures in different places, but regardless of whether it's 30k, or 40k, it's for 2 months. 30k x 8 = 240k, or 40k would be 320k.. If that 240k or 320k gets them over the line into the Premiership worth 100m for one season - it's a tiny outlay. It's not as if Bournemouth have signed him on a 3 year contract at 40k is it? Calm down folks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You see different figures in different places, but regardless of whether it's 30k, or 40k, it's for 2 months. 30k x 8 = 240k, or 40k would be 320k.. If that 240k or 320k gets them over the line into the Premiership worth 100m for one season - it's a tiny outlay. It's not as if Bournemouth have signed him on a 3 year contract at 40k is it? Calm down folks.

Cardiff have been paid a six figure sum for the loan arrangement in addition to having all of the player's wages and bonuses paid for by Bournemouth. If Bournemouth are promoted another six figure sum goes to Cardiff. There is also the possibility Bournemouth sign him for big money as they will be swamped with cash.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Which teams are you referring to?

Correction: To which teams are you referring.

None really ! Just a rant that isn't supported by fact. You should be quite familiar with this on NSC :)

(Like you, I have nothing better to do than nick pick today)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Correction: To which teams are you referring.

None really ! Just a rant that isn't supported by fact. You should be quite familiar with this on NSC :)

(Like you, I have nothing better to do than nick pick today)

Wise worms! I'm in Cyprus, so know how you feel.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Exactly what we should have done under Poyet and didn't.

We shouldnt have needed to, that squad should have won the league at a canter, 19 draws killed us at least 3 of those from winning positions in the 90th + minute. Fair play to Bmuff, they have a rich chairman who is gambling. I hope it works for them. Keeps the dream alive for the samller clubs i guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A FCB have circumvented the rules by bringing in Kenwynne Jones. If you take todays game Reading leading 1-0 and Cardiff have nobody to get the goal back so Reading have gone above us and made themselves safe. Could other clubs below them and us have objected to this loan as it lessens the chances of Cardiff, who are safe, beating teams either near the top or bottom of the table.

Just to confound me Cardiff get an equaliser but the point still stands.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A FCB have circumvented the rules by bringing in Kenwynne Jones. If you take todays game Reading leading 1-0 and Cardiff have nobody to get the goal back so Reading have gone above us and made themselves safe. Could other clubs below them and us have objected to this loan as it lessens the chances of Cardiff, who are safe, beating teams either near the top or bottom of the table.

What? How have they circumvented the rules?

Neither Cardiff nor Reading are mathematically safe.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Cardiff have had to loan out two high earners to save money , those parachute payments don't go far.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What? How have they circumvented the rules?

Neither Cardiff nor Reading are mathematically safe.

Cardiff are not mathematically safe but are all bar the shouting and the rules on loans always did say but not sur if they have been changed that you cannot loan a player after the deadline Thursday and play ina game that affects promotion or relegation They just beat the deadline to make the loan possible and saved a shed load of money.. Another foreign owner with no interest in football just as money making exercise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pissed me off to see Jones score that goal yesterday. I never thought I'd see the day where Bournemouth had players who are so much better than what we have. How many Championship quality strikers have they got? How many have we got?. Pisses me off unreasonably tbh

Complaining about them, as in the posts above is just pathetic, They are doing all they can to get into the Premier League and look like they are nearly there. Jealous? Yeah you bet, what a totally amazing season they have had as we stumble along tied up in FFP.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cardiff are not mathematically safe but are all bar the shouting and the rules on loans always did say but not sur if they have been changed that you cannot loan a player after the deadline Thursday and play ina game that affects promotion or relegation They just beat the deadline to make the loan possible and saved a shed load of money.. Another foreign owner with no interest in football just as money making exercise.

So, they made the loan move before the deadline? That would mean he can play in any game and no rules were circumvented.

With efforts toward FFP compliance, is it fair to criticise Cardiff for off loading their top scorer to save money? It really feels like you're stretching to find some reason to make it controversial when the only controversy is, according to my recent google search, that Slade had been told he could keep Jones, and then Cardiff shipped him out anyway.

That's not justification for teams below Reading to cry foul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here