Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenny Sansom

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There will be people who mock, think it's clever to get drunk, think that kind of thing could never happen to them, but I want to know what they are thinking when they wake up in the morning or afternoon with a monster hang over, look at their bank/credit card statements and wonder where all the money has gone, wake up in a Police cell, find themselves getting regularly beaten up, getting sacked from jobs, smashing up cars or even killing someone just for the sake of one more drink. Was it really worth it?

I had a sneaky suspicion from your opening post that this would be a preaching thread, thanks for confirming it.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
There will be people who mock, think it's clever to get drunk, think that kind of thing could never happen to them, but I want to know what they are thinking when they wake up in the morning or afternoon with a monster hang over, look at their bank/credit card statements and wonder where all the money has gone, wake up in a Police cell, find themselves getting regularly beaten up, getting sacked from jobs, smashing up cars or even killing someone just for the sake of one more drink. Was it really worth it?

sound like you are speaking from experience?

Personally i have found that controlled, with the odd uncontrolled, alcohol intake has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of life. I am very much looking forward to a good bottle of red tonight.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Ernest-Hemingway-quotes-live-life-to-the-fullest-quotes.jpg

And we all know what happened to him!! A deeply troubled and unhappy man. How glamorous.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Very narrow minded there. Look at the root cause not the reason.

Most alcoholics like Sansom don't ever go out to become alcoholics in just the same way as those eating bacon don't expect to be diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Open your eyes.

It was his choice to start drinking (and that's fine) but he has no right to expect sympathy now. If his mum had put whisky in his baby bottle and made him an addict before he was old enough to make a decision I would be really sympathetic. As I would be, if nobody had ever issued warnings against drinking excess alcohol.

As it is, my eyes are wide open and it still looks like self inflicted

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
sound like you are speaking from experience?

Personally i have found that controlled, with the odd uncontrolled, alcohol intake has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of life. I am very much looking forward to a good bottle of red tonight.
Normal Rob by name, normal rob by nature.
Seems a perfectly reasoned post to me :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It is "self inflicted" in that nobody forcibly shoved a bottle of cheap vodka (or whatever) down his throat every day. However addiction is not an easy thing to escape once you have it, and some understanding (not necessarily sympathy) would be a positive move. Anyone can develop it if circumstances collide.

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/About-AA/Newcomers/About-Alcoholism

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Just been watching The Jeremy Kyle show. Kenny Sansom was on it. Look at the effects of alcohol. It does not matter who you are, what you do or what you have. Alcohol does not discriminate! Kenny use to be seen in the west stand at the Goldstone, was he at one stage involved with a consortium that was interested in taking over the Albion? Alcohol can take away every thing including your life. If anyone has not seen this yet, WATCH AND LISTEN.

*Leaves thread*

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Watched bits and pieces I find it sad and heartbreaking .I for one don't understand it but we all have or will have some tough times in our lives and I wish him well .. Played at every level for England and 86 times for men .

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Jeremy Kyle and the band of sub standard human entrails he entertains on his show isn't something I'd be proud to say I watch.

Plenty of Jeremy Kyle wannabees on this thread though!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
There will be people who mock, think it's clever to get drunk

I've always found this turn of phrase confusing. I don't think anyone has ever claimed drinking as a cerebral pursuit. But I do know lots of people whose social anxiety has been invaluably lessened by it. And a lot of Albion games would be genuinely awful and joyless without a drink or four.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
There will be people who mock, think it's clever to get drunk, think that kind of thing could never happen to them..

This is a good point.

What's the first thing many people say they'll do on their 18th birthday? (and many other birthdays too) - get pissed!

It's become a kind of culture here, drinking to excess, and I think it will be a long time before we can reverse that trend. Look how long it has taken to get the number of people who smoke, on the decline.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is a good point.

What's the first thing many people say they'll do on their 18th birthday? (and many other birthdays too) - get pissed!

It's become a kind of culture here, drinking to excess, and I think it will be a long time before we can reverse that trend. Look how long it has taken to get the number of people who smoke, on the decline.

Drinking is reducing massively with the younger generations. The heavy daily drinkers are the middle aged and elderly for a myriad of seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here