Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeping Cats Out of Gardens

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You seem to have conveniently ignored my 'updated' earlier question...........

you do one of two things
ask the owner to clear it up
or clear it up yourself
you really are a very angry person
cats do this so do dogs and there are some humans do it in shop doorways
get over it

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The way we are encouraged to view the law is very convenient for cat owners, the actual law is a bit different.

You can kill a cat on your property, you just can't cause it undue suffering. This means if you are going to shoot it get it between the eyes with a .22 or at least a very high powered air rifle.
You will also need some cause beyond just not liking that cat (though even if you said I killed the ******* cat because its a ******* there is little you can be charged with).
Threat to one of your own animals more than sufficient.
If you go the dog route your dog can maul the cat to death anytime anyplace anywhere. As long as you are not seen to be setting the dog on the cat you and the dog are home free on this one.

Bedwetters please note I advocate neither of these methods I just enjoy facts. That said cat people are oblivious to their felines flaws. There are 5 households near me who I am sure would all prattle on about how cats are clean and bury their poo. They are completely wrong because all their cats come and shit on the surface of my garden.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now, someone tell me how to stop hedghogs pissing on my lawn. These buggers take no hints. Hedgehog piss is 95% hydrochloric acid and burns holes in the piece. Spikey little *******s. I've baited the slugs, hoping anything that eats them will get a mickey and long hangover, but to no avail . . .

At last, someone has raised the real issue. All my neighbours show no interest in even attempting to control where their slugs go. Not only do i have to buy slug repellent at my own cost, but these little b******s destroy hindreds of pounds worth of plants and seedlings.

Don't they understand that I am top of the food chain FFS :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Which places a financial burden on the owner of the house to buy it and constantly apply it, not the cat's owner.

You could always pick up the mess with a trowel or other tool that you oalready own (it's highly likely the property owner has one as they have a garden) and throw the offending waste into a bin (which it's emptying is already covered in the council rates.)

result - Zero cost to the home owner.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You could always pick up the mess with a trowel or other tool that you oalready own (it's highly likely the property owner has one as they have a garden) and throw the offending waste into a bin (which it's emptying is already covered in the council rates.)

result - Zero cost to the home owner.

All i'm seeing with these replies is the onus being put on the person who doesn't own the cat nor want it in their yard.

Would you go around picking up other peoples dog shit?

If someones dog constantly shit on your front yard would you be ok with that? You know, you could go out every day with a shovel and pick it up.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
All i'm seeing with these replies is the onus being put on the person who doesn't own the cat nor want it in their yard.

Would you go around picking up other peoples dog shit?

If someones dog constantly shit on your front yard would you be ok with that? You know, you could go out every day with a shovel and pick it up.

and would especially as you have zero chance of finding the owner of the dog
its not the dogs fault after all is it?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
[/B][/U]

and would especially as you have zero chance of finding the owner of the dog
its not the dogs fault after all is it?

Why should you have to put up with a dog shitting in your yard every day? I'd not expect anyone to put up with that.

No it's not the dogs fault, its the trashy owners fault. Just as its the trashy cat owners fault for letting their cats wander.

Not that they care it seems.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I'm with the anti cat brigade here. We are surrounded by households with cats, my daughters go into the garden to play and end up traipsing shite through the house. Am i supposed to go and check every inch of my garden before allowing them to play?
It's not right in my eyes.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Where is the line drawn though? If i found rat droppings in my garden I could take action to kill them. If I was to trap a fox or badger or snake and remove it to a location at a distance (provided I did it safely and within the confines of the law) it would potentially be ok. But I have to put up with someone's cat because they are my neighbour and it is "theirs".

(Wouln't want to kill any cats btw, just to be clear).

If you found rat droppings in your garden what you would need is a cat !!!!

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire .I live near to the sea and there is an endless stream of dog owners constantly walking their dogs to the beach .They get within a hundred mtrs and let them off the lead ,consequently a fair few run at break neck speed usually into peoples gardens and at people ,I have lost count of the mongs who allow their dogs to sh**te on my garden .I had a skip outside my house with a cover over it and in the week it was in my front garden I would regularly pick of bags of dog sh**te where the owners would throw it onto it even though there was a bleedin cover over it ,thinking they have the divine right to deposit their bags of cr*p instead of the dog bin by the beach .And what really makes me laugh is when you go into the countryside and see those bl**dy shi*te bags hanging off trees because they are to bone idle to take them with them .What do they think is going to happen ..the blo*dy dog sh*te fairy is going to collect them at night under the cover of darkness .I have even had a dog run over to me and my family while we were on the beach and pi*s over our towels and clothes ,while the owner says "well he`s not done that before " Oh feckin really that makes me feel better you chump ,I dont blame the animal just the incredibly selfish and extremely stupid owners. My point ...there is good and bad with animals whether it a cat or a dog and we would miss them if we didnt have them .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think cats dislike citrus, so lemon or orande peel could work. Some sonic devices claim to work but have produced mixed results but the only foolproof method is to move to a top storey flat without a garden

I don't think throwing lemon or orange peel at them works, you have to throw the whole fruit at them, but it doesn't have to be citrus, and vegetables will also do the job.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I cannot stand cats. In Australia if they wander out of the owners garden, hefty fine. Good. Cat owners are on the whole an irresponsible, selfish bunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here