Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keep the Pyschos off the road

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
https://news.sky.com/story/man-jail...f-bridge-in-act-of-extreme-road-rage-13097558

Just reading this. In four years time he can start driving all over again. What will have changed? What could trigger him next time?

I can understand the sentencing, judges have to reduce sentences for guilty pleas, but the shortness of the driving ban defies all logic.

The victim will likely still be impacted in four years time. We have to pay for the road closures, hospital treatment, legal cases. Is there anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to let him drive again (at least not for a very long time)?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the four year and ten months driving ban started after he was released from prison (and after passing another driving test), that would make some sense - but I doubt the legal system's got that much sense.
There's no point in a driving ban whilst he is in prison, when he won't be driving anyway.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
https://news.sky.com/story/man-jail...f-bridge-in-act-of-extreme-road-rage-13097558

Just reading this. In four years time he can start driving all over again. What will have changed? What could trigger him next time?

I can understand the sentencing, judges have to reduce sentences for guilty pleas, but the shortness of the driving ban defies all logic.

The victim will likely still be impacted in four years time. We have to pay for the road closures, hospital treatment, legal cases. Is there anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to let him drive again (at least not for a very long time)?
He is no Psycho, he did freakout though.

It is tantamount to attempted manslaughter with use of a dangerous weapon, surly not enough prison time

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the ban for dangerous driving is typically 1 year with license not reinstated until an extended driving test is past.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If the four year and ten months driving ban started after he was released from prison (and after passing another driving test), that would make some sense - but I doubt the legal system's got that much sense.
There's no point in a driving ban whilst he is in prison, when he won't be driving anyway.
He won't serve the full prison term though, in all probability, so two years or so of that driving ban will actually be effective.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the point of the ban being the same length is to ensure he can't drive while out on parole.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The fact that the two time periods would suggest that they might run at the same time. Maybe they are banking on him getting out early, but it still makes no sense.

The ability to drive should be earned, not a given. If you don't respect it by behaving in such an extreme manner, then you should be prepared to lose it for a lot longer than four years and 10 months!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the ban for dangerous driving is typically 1 year with license not reinstated until an extended driving test is past.
and yet at the next election, every party will tell you they are tough on law and order, except they only ever talk the talk. The only car crime that matters is aggravated vehicle theft.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
MP’s are never going to go for stricter road laws. Too many of their own flout the existing laws.

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
and yet at the next election, every party will tell you they are tough on law and order, except they only ever talk the talk. The only car crime that matters is aggravated vehicle theft.

Indeed, we have an overcrowded prison system focused on retribution rather than rehabilitation. This results in prisons becoming squalid centres of excellence in crime and the risk of released prisoners re-offending is rather high compared to countries who have a penal system based on rehabilitation. This leaves many judges to err on the side of non custodial sentences, or short sentences, whenever they can as there's just not the space. And yes, I'm aware in some extremely distressing cases rehabilitation is perhaps impossible but for the vast majority a rehabilitation program fit for purposes would greatly reduce crime.

This was an interesting article about jails in Panama focusing on rehabilitation and reoffending was massively down with as well as gang conflict within the prisons themselves. Many other prisons in the immediate geographical area are looking to replicate the idea. Obviously in the UK our challenges are a bit different but surely the sentiment and logic behind the principle can be applied here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Indeed, we have an overcrowded prison system focused on retribution rather than rehabilitation. This results in prisons becoming squalid centres of excellence in crime and the risk of released prisoners re-offending is rather high compared to countries who have a penal system based on rehabilitation. This leaves many judges eer on the side of non custodial sentences whenever they can as there's just not the space. And yes, I'm aware in some extremely distressing cases rehabilitation is perhaps impossible but for the vast majority a rehabilitation program fit for purposes would greatly reduce crime.

This was an interesting article about jails in Panama focusing on rehabilitation and reoffending was massively down with as well as gang conflict within the prisons themselves. Many other prisons in the immediate geographical area are looking to replicate the idea. Obviously in the UK or challenges are a bit different but surely the sentiment and logic behind the principle can be applied here.
Prisons in the U.K. will only get worse.

It’s one of the very few topics that most British peole agree on…nobody gives a shit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well of course he wont serve the full term - they almost never do - but the driving ban should still start the day he is released, not be served whilst he is in prison and not driving anything anywhere.
It should be a lifetime ban from driving tbh. I don't really see any justification for anything else.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the four year and ten months driving ban started after he was released from prison (and after passing another driving test), that would make some sense

There's no mechanism in law to do that (IMO there should be).

Indeed, we have an overcrowded prison system focused on retribution rather than rehabilitation. This results in prisons becoming squalid centres of excellence in crime and the risk of released prisoners re-offending is rather high compared to countries who have a penal system based on rehabilitation. This leaves many judges to err on the side of non custodial sentences, or short sentences, whenever they can as there's just not the space. And yes, I'm aware in some extremely distressing cases rehabilitation is perhaps impossible but for the vast majority a rehabilitation program fit for purposes would greatly reduce crime.

This was an interesting article about jails in Panama focusing on rehabilitation and reoffending was massively down with as well as gang conflict within the prisons themselves. Many other prisons in the immediate geographical area are looking to replicate the idea. Obviously in the UK our challenges are a bit different but surely the sentiment and logic behind the principle can be applied here.

I was talking to the governor (or may have been his deputy) when I visited in 2005. He said that sentences under three months (so in reality six months as they are released halfway) there's no point in giving drug addicts a rehab plan as they'd be released before completion so, in reality, they come out and drop straight back into their old ways.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you flipped out and murdered someone with a firearm, you’d get your license taken away for good.

Should be the same for vehicles.
If you deliberately set a dangerous dog on someone, you'd hope you'd be permanently banned from keeping dogs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you flipped out and murdered someone with a firearm, you’d get your license taken away for good.

Should be the same for vehicles.
and you'd get a damn sight longer than 4 years.

Would being unable to spell psycho make you a psycho?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The standard of driving is appalling, the police only seem to care about speed cameras and the money they can raise from them, trouble is driving dangerously and like a tw@t doesn't get picked up on speed cameras . I was motorbike riding with my husband on Saturday and a van just came speeding out of a side road, obviously not checking if it was OK and if it would have been 3 seconds later would have most likely killed my husband as he pulled straight out in front of him. The van the continued to drive at speed tail gating everyone he was behind before overtaking a car in a 30 and nearly taking out a cyclist in the other side of the road. *ucking knob

We don't ride with cameras on, but I am thinking we should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here