Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Off!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I've never seen the need for them anyway. All this nonsense about whining on that it'll tinge the end of the season, do one! We'll have won promotion!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I've packed my parachute to soar off East Upper.
The miserable fecker who occasionally sits next to me will accompany me although he doesn't know this yet.
He won't have a parachute btw :moo:

I think I know the one you mean. Fat ******* Leeds fan? I'll throw him off myself if he starts moaning at Albion fans for cheering on their team again. I'll be abseiling down the ESU. See you on the pitch.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Your memory of salad days is playing tricks on you. Pitch invasions occasionally led to fights and scuffles, (or at least lots of fat blokes with curtains shouting 'come on then', and dancing around like Bambi before running away) - see the Argus archives for such incidents. Of course, we're not talking about the same thing now, but to say it was 'harmless fun' either means your memory is shot to pieces or the fact you consider a good tear-up as 'harmless fun' speaks volumes about you.

Nowadays, if the ground staff, club, players and police are against it, then it evidently does matter if a 'bunch of teenagers' (now who's being judgemental?) run on to the pitch. That's the whole point of the message being discussed. :facepalm:

They've made a specific request, one which you have a problem with because you feel your fun is being spoilt. Brilliant. And if it's enough that the players can't get to do what they would like to do (i.e. come out and applaud the fans), then why is it so important for your sense of entitlement to go above their request?

Diddums.

Diddums? On that bombshell I'm out

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your memory of salad days is playing tricks on you. Pitch invasions occasionally led to fights and scuffles, (or at least lots of fat blokes with curtains shouting 'come on then', and dancing around like Bambi before running away) - see the Argus archives for such incidents. Of course, we're not talking about the same thing now, but to say it was 'harmless fun' either means your memory is shot to pieces or the fact you consider a good tear-up as 'harmless fun' speaks volumes about you.

Sorry Al. I've stayed out of the majority of the thread for the simple reason that I can see both sides. I won't be invading anything from the back of the WSU and would like to applaud the players IF and WHEN we get promotion :lolol: but we saw at Boro last year that these things are inevitable and impossible to stop.

However, on the Goldstone Ground invasions I can think of a number of different reasons for invasions and I joined in, or not, pragmatically.

Ones that were harmless fun / celebrations that I joined in

Wendy's goal v Ipswich
Promotion v Bristol Rovers 1988

Ones that I joined in that were not fun but not about fighting
Lincoln
York

Not about fighting other fans anyway. Fighting Archer and Bellotti....

Ones that were about fighting that I stayed away from

Sheffield United

Ones that were dodgy that I avoided

All the goals against Millwall in the playoff semi.

One size does not fit all and never has.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This is very obviously THE point.

The layout of The Amex means that "everyone on the pitch" is simply not possible in the way it was, and still is, at grounds where the vast majority of fans have straightforward access.

Aside from the safety issue relating to the stairs, and people rushing in excitement, there is also a potentially very serious problem in WSU if the players (and possibly a trophy presentation) end up being forced to only appear on the 1901 level. A crush to the front rows to be able to see would be very dangerous as there is only a waist height wall there.

The blueprint (no pun intended) for a stadium like ours is found in the Man City PL winning video posted above.

The club do what they can in advance to deter as many people as possible from going on the pitch after the game.
About 10% of the crowd go on anyway in a "traditional outpouring of pent up emotion".
PA announcer immediately starts making increasingly assertive requests for those people to get off the pitch.
The people on the pitch have their moment for around 5 minutes while those in the stands really just want them to clear off and so the atmosphere of celebratory togetherness deteriorates temporarily.
After a few minutes the pitch starts to clear but a few wankers delay the process and frustration of the rest rises.
Eventually the pitch clears and the club get on with what they have planned for everyone to enjoy together - players and families on the pitch, massed singing, backslapping and adoration ensues for a happy time.
Fans retire to concourses and home glowing with pride in our club.

Boring!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Hang on... I've been hearing on the radio, on here, etc. that if we get 6 points we'll be promoted but it's still not mathematical is it? As Hudds can get 92? (unless they drop points). Or am I missing something.

6 points is what we need...unless Huddersfield win all their games about 6 nil.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Sorry Al. I've stayed out of the majority of the thread for the simple reason that I can see both sides. I won't be invading anything from the back of the WSU and would like to applaud the players IF and WHEN we get promotion :lolol: but we saw at Boro last year that these things are inevitable and impossible to stop.

I appreciate they're impossible to stop given the circumstances, but a polite request (for that's what this is) is entirely appropriate.

Other pitch invasions which spring to mind which weren't fun -

Tottenham (late 1970s)
Chelsea (1983)

I've been given access to the Argus archive for a project. There's a lot of images of stuff happening on the pitches from matches where I didn't realise there were pitch invasions leading to fighting. Not nice. All well and good to have a fuzzy feeling about The Goldstone days, but some were pretty hairy.

I do also appreciate, of course, that this isn't the central issue to the club's request. But that isn't the point being made here.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Huddersfield can get to 92 points but with goal difference, they would need to win every game by 5 clear goals. That's without any goals that we may score in achieving our 6 points.

More goals than that, I think! That's only if we win 2 games by a goal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I appreciate they're impossible to stop given the circumstances, but a polite request (for that's what this is) is entirely appropriate.

Agree

Tottenham (late 1970s)
Chelsea (1983)

Agree

I've been given access to the Argus archive for a project. There's a lot of images of stuff happening on the pitches from matches where I didn't realise there were pitch invasions leading to fighting. Not nice. All well and good to have a fuzzy feeling about The Goldstone days, but some were pretty hairy.

I do also appreciate, of course, that this isn't the central issue to the club's request. But that isn't the point being made here.

Some were hairy, some were purely spontaneous eruptions of joy (Wilkins), some were openly allowed by the club (gates opened v Bristol Rovers, ironically causing a mini crush) and some were needed to drive the b******s out of our club. That's my point.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Some were hairy, some were purely spontaneous eruptions of joy (Wilkins), some were openly allowed by the club (gates opened v Bristol Rovers, ironically causing a mini crush) and some were needed to drive the b******s out of our club. That's my point.

I got your point, and I don't disagree.

Mine is from disputing an original point made a few posts ago where the poster said the pitch invasions were 'harmless fun'. Some were; others really weren't.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I shall be bungee jumping from the WSU. Everyone's a wnner

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Purely personally, I'd much prefer to watch the players and rest of the squad celebrate together on the pitch on the final whistle, rather than watching them, our opponents and the officials having to sprint to the tunnel to avoid getting caught up in a melee. It wouldn't happen at Anfield, Old Trafford or the Emirates, which should be our benchmark.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Mine is from disputing an original point made a few posts ago where the poster said the pitch invasions were 'harmless fun'. Some were; others really weren't.

I think if there was to be a promotion pitch invasion against Wigan (just saying) it probably won't be like Spurs which was about 40 years ago

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So the club doesn't want it, the ground staff don't want it, the police don't want it, and most importantly the players don't want it - but a few self-important fans whose excess sense of entitlement trumps everything are grizzling...? Talk about selling your soul in return for a season-long ban...

Textbook.

Pitiful response.

My post was about silly people who think they're the only ones who matter, with no mention of myself. And yours is a meaningless one about me. Outstanding.

Nowadays, if the ground staff, club, players and police are against it, then it evidently does matter if a 'bunch of teenagers' (now who's being judgemental?) run on to the pitch. That's the whole point of the message being discussed. :facepalm:

They've made a specific request, one which you have a problem with because you feel your fun is being spoilt. Brilliant. And if it's enough that the players can't get to do what they would like to do (i.e. come out and applaud the fans), then why is it so important for your sense of entitlement to go above their request?

Diddums.

Tottenham (late 1970s)
Chelsea (1983)

Would you like your dummy back? :lol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Tottenham (late 1970s)
Chelsea (1983)

Bet you're fun at a party.... Your opinion isn't always right...In fact it is more often wrong! You are like the NSC version of Adrian Durham! Are you ginger?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here