Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably fair. I also probably over-defend him, as some of the scapegoating he gets is miles over the top imo. He is limited to an extent, but what he can do, he is better than any of our other wingers at.
It's such an NSC thing to do.

There's no way you can leave comments like 'I prefer Kaz' (assuming we have a time machine) alone.
You have to up the anti on such a ridiculous post, and very quickly find you've backed yourself into a corner you had never fully committed too.

I find it incredible that any Brighton fan can watch last night, or for that matter any of this season, and maintain long standing negativity to any player.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I make you 100% right. That's exactly the same pattern as the bloke I have to listen to with his full volume constant whining week in, week out. Used to be Barnes. Then Baldock. The other week for a while it was Jamie Murphy, complaining that he wasn't doing enough and had hardly touched the ball. We were three minutes into the game. THREE minutes. He was even whingeing BEFORE kick-off a few seasons ago.... at the play-off semi-final...

I finally lost my rag with him last night and told him to can it. One of his (Barnes-hating) mates took exception but tough crap. It did at least have the desired effect as the whinger was mercifully quiet for the rest of the match. Mildly embarrassing getting the red mist with someone like that but I'll tell you what, he can wait the rest of his life for an apology. Sick to death of it. These are the best times by far in my 37 years watching the Albion and it's so annoying to have a negative **** take the edge off it, week in, week out. We all groan and grumble sometimes at individual moments in a match where a player might have done better/something different, but that's not the same as criticising everything a player does and branding them 'shit'.

My favourites for the season thus far are the usual two blokes I have to suffer laughing at how 'shit' Bong is moments before he crossed for Baldock's winner vs Wolves, and the same thing when he got in a tangle (but came out with the ball) before laying it off for Sam to cross for Muzza's winner vs Fulham.

FORWARDS STEPHENS is also a favourite exclamation of theirs.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My favourites for the season thus far are the usual two blokes I have to suffer laughing at how 'shit' Bong is moments before he crossed for Baldock's winner vs Wolves, and the same thing when he got in a tangle (but came out with the ball) before laying it off for Sam to cross for Muzza's winner vs Fulham.

Last night, at half time, a bloke nearby was saying how useless Murray was. Ridiculous as he'd won EVERYTHING in the air and his hold up play was excellent. Then in the second half the bloke behind me told his mate that 'Knockaert just isn't good enough'. Unbelievable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While we're talking about ridiculous negativity, I watched the Toon game next to a Toon (prick) fan, who stated as a fact that Jonjo Shelvey was the ONLY prem-standard player on the pitch. Has he seen Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Swansea, Hull, Palace?!?!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Blimey. Sounds like the same bloke :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Probably fair. I also probably over-defend him, as some of the scapegoating he gets is miles over the top imo. He is limited to an extent, but what he can do, he is better than any of our other wingers at.

That's completely understandable about over-defending Skalak. The moaners have imposed that on a lot of us, whether it be over Barnes, Baldock, Skalak, or whoever is next.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Skalak is a physically stronger player than March or Murphy and at times we need that and last night he helped subdue Hughes...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Skalak is a physically stronger player than March or Murphy and at times we need that and last night he helped subdue Hughes...

Not sure about that, Solly has returned a hell of a lot stronger than before his injury. Problem lies with his tracking, which is why Skalak is the safer option.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Being out of the squad for a few games seems to have improved Skalak so perhaps Murphy will come back rejuvenated although he had played quite well in recent games.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Being out of the squad for a few games seems to have improved Skalak so perhaps Murphy will come back rejuvenated although he had played quite well in recent games.

Murphy's a bit of a puzzle to me. Thought he'd been playing well (was superb against Reading) but now not even in the match day squad. Likewise, last season he seemed to drop out of contention when he was in good form. I suppose it's either to do with the balance of the bench, a minor injury he carries that we don't know about or, though it seems unlikely, his application in training. Seems a shame that he's not involved but Hughton clearly knows what he's doing. Will just remain a bit of a mystery I suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murphy's a bit of a puzzle to me. Thought he'd been playing well (was superb against Reading) but now not even in the match day squad. Likewise, last season he seemed to drop out of contention when he was in good form. I suppose it's either to do with the balance of the bench, a minor injury he carries that we don't know about or, though it seems unlikely, his application in training. Seems a shame that he's not involved but Hughton clearly knows what he's doing. Will just remain a bit of a mystery I suppose.

I've been thinking about Murphy & Skalak using the power of 20/20 hindsight and overthinking.

Hindsight suggests CH wanted to set Reading up for counter attacking goals.
That obviously equals Murphy and Knockaert.
But Murphy isn't match fit so needed a couple of games to get up to speed.

Blammo, 3-0, Murphy integral to the points.

Then on the horizon there's Derby and Leeds away.
Teams for which we'll need to be defensively stronger and who are susceptible to dead ball type situations.
That obviously equals Skalak and Knockaert.
But now Skalak isn't match fit, it's ok though there's Rotherham to use as 'practise'.

Blammo, 3-0, Skalak integral to the points.

The beauty (that many can't see) of having wingers with very different attributes.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure about that, Solly has returned a hell of a lot stronger than before his injury. Problem lies with his tracking, which is why Skalak is the safer option.

I think the opposition find Skalak a bit more intimidating and he tackles harder than Solly , all personal opinion of course. If Solly can do the 30 minute Birmingham cameo roll then we having a winning combination.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a squad game, and not everyone is going to perform to the potential ALL the time. There are no 'sh*t' players in the team*– when they ARE on their game (look at Skalak, Murphy, Baldock, A.N. Other Scapegoat) they have a blinder as Skalak did on Friday night.

I just don't understand why people have to get on the back of these players and slate them. Support the TEAM, not just certain players IN the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here