Kayal & Stephens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Eh? What the **** are you on about? You constantly pooh poohed all the rumours, calling lots of people thick - even people who were ITK and later proved right about prior rumours that he was close to resigning in previous windows. You ended up with a HUMUNGOUS amount of egg on your face. It's over.

Are you deluded or what?! I mean people re-write history to suit their message but that is some glorious fantasy.

I stated categorically that we were not signing Murray = We did not sign Murray.
You mocked me for my opinions, even at one point claiming that some bullshit twitter 'Transfer Live' account was tantamount to proof that I was wrong and you were right.
As the windows closed, I believe I may have had a chuckle or two at your expense.

Thanks for taking the time out to be wrong once more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we want to go up, we need to keep our best players and, yes, that includes Beram and Dale. Would, for example, Derby, let their two best midfielders go? The answer is no.

Think back a couple of seasons. We sold Leo to Leicester for a great fee. Watford turned down a similar bid for Deeney. They are now in the Prem reaping the rewards, whilst we nearly got relegated with COG up front. Please, please Tony et al don't make a very similar mistake.

It will definitely NOT be easy to replace them, great recruitment team or not. Put a silly price on them and tell Burnley et al to do one.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I have followed the Albion for a few decades. The large majority of these we have been powder puff in midfield and been crying out for quality.

I wouldn't be so keen to accept these going if get cash to replace as it is no where near that easy.

Key positions in team.

If we want to go up, we need to keep our best players and, yes, that includes Beram and Dale. Would, for example, Derby, let their two best midfielders go? The answer is no.

Think back a couple of seasons. We sold Leo to Leicester for a great fee. Watford turned down a similar bid for Deeney. They are now in the Prem reaping the rewards, whilst we nearly got relegated with COG up front. Please, please Tony et al don't make a very similar mistake.

It will definitely NOT be easy to replace them, great recruitment team or not. Put a silly price on them and tell Burnley et al to do one.

Had we not sold Ulloa wouldn't BHA have failed FFP and probably been subject to a transfer embago (at the least)? Hence, no Kayal in the first place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Had we not sold Ulloa wouldn't BHA have failed FFP and probably been subject to a transfer embago (at the least)? Hence, no Kayal in the first place.

You tell me, but I doubt it...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may have sold someone else ( Dunk ? ) to pass FFP, and certainly wouldn't have wasted £500k + 15k a week on O'Grady.

We may have sold someone else ( Dunk ? ) to pass FFP, and certainly wouldn't have wasted £500k + 15k a week on O'Grady.

The 2015 accounts show a net surplus on player trading of £6.3M (ie after the cost of player purchases is factored) without which BHAFC would have posted an operational loss of £13.7M, instead of £7.4M. According to the accounts, the club complied with the FFP requirements for 2015 which permitted a max loss (after allowances such as academy costs) of £6M. Whatever the FFP "loss" actually was, adding a further £6.3M to this figure would have pushed BHA over the £6M threshold/limit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The 2015 accounts show a net surplus on player trading of £6.3M (ie after the cost of player purchases is factored) without which BHAFC would have posted an operational loss of £13.7M, instead of £7.4M. According to the accounts, the club complied with the FFP requirements for 2015 which permitted a max loss (after allowances such as academy costs) of £6M. Whatever the FFP "loss" actually was, adding a further £6.3M to this figure would have pushed BHA over the £6M threshold/limit.
Yes, get that but would we have also spent £2million+ on Baldock if Ulloa had stayed ?

All we can say is that the transfer business done would have been totally different if Leo had stayed.

It is far too simplistic to say we only passed FFP because we sold him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, get that but would we have also spent £2million+ on Baldock if Ulloa had stayed ?

All we can say is that the transfer business done would have been totally different if Leo had stayed.

This...

The costs to the 2015 accounts of purchasing Baldock (and anybody else) are already factored into the player trading figure - ie there would be a £6.3M "hole" for the year regardless of who we bought.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The costs to the 2015 accounts of purchasing Baldock (and anybody else) are already factored into the player trading figure - ie there would be a £6.3M "hole" for the year regardless of who we bought.
So when Paul Barber said we didn't need to sell Leo he was wrong ( lying ) ? ???

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Sorry, are you suggesting we should try to sign Robbie Brady of Norwich. The one who has a minimum price tag of £15 million and will have loads of Premier League clubs after him.

There's no point worrying about whether we'll keep Stephens and Kayal. If they stay, great. If they leave, I trust Winstanley and his team to recruit well and bring in the right players.

Apologies Finchley. My comment regarding how I'd love to see Brady in a Brighton shirt is a personal one that's more than unlikely to happen in view of Norwich's valuation of him. £15m is unrealistic for a guy his age. I threw his name in at the end of my post merely as counter balance after stating how much I'd like us to tie Beram & Dale down with new deals

Yes I'm aware how as fans we can't influence signings & rely on the Club to look after building our squad & must be patient. It's in my nature sadly to allow positivity to flicker - especially when it becomes public that our two CM gems are targets & one has already had a bid for him turned down whilst Hull make it known they'd like Kayal

My concern would be alleviated if we got both on extended contracts. I hope my doubts vanish when it's announced both have been secured for a longer period. Like any supporter of BHA I want promotion so much this season after the way it eluded us last season & that means keeping quality & adding to it

My trust of Winstanley or Bloom is there & if we lose Kayal or Stephens then we've limited time to replace with anything close to similar but will - as you say - have to move on without them. I don't think we've another pairing in such a key area remotely close to what they give us. Surely sitting down with both & establishing their ambitions should be a priority to remove concerns when we've reached the stage when interest & a bid has been made? That to me is good 'housekeeping' that bolsters the faith we are being asked to have

We do our deals privately & not in the open. It could be we've already sat with Beram & Dale about their future with us. I'm trying hard to be optimistic but can't you see how much it would mean now to make a statement re Kayal & Stephens? If one or both are going I'd prefer to know - then look at like to like replacement(s). Sidwell is a trier in my view but IMHO is less influential plus no longer has the legs to cover the ground he used to

If both Kayal & Stephens sign extended deals then what a boost that'd be to know. We'd then only need a couple of decent signings in my view (solid defender & a pacy forward) to make the squad one strong enough for automatic. All about opinions of course

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you think it ever crosses Stephen's mind that perhaps he owes Albion a bit of loyalty? He was out injured for nearly a season. Maybe I'm being a bit precious here :shrug:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Do you think it ever crosses Stephen's mind that perhaps he owes Albion a bit of loyalty? He was out injured for nearly a season. Maybe I'm being a bit precious here :shrug:
No, it probably doesn't, and in any case I would have thought insurance covers the wages for those out on long term injuries (I don't know this!). He could counter argue and say that we paid a pittance for him and stand to make a substantial profit if we sell.

So when Paul Barber said we didn't need to sell Leo he was wrong ( lying ) ? ???

I don't know, or care tbh, but how is the PB comment/statement you've alluded to incompatible with the 2015 accounts? ie what does "needing" to sell players actually mean? What exactly was the question (if any) he was asked?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't know, or care tbh, but how is the PB comment/statement you've alluded to incompatible with the 2015 accounts? ie what does "needing" to sell players actually mean? What exactly was the question (if any) he was asked?
I have no desire to trawl through ancient records to find exact quotes. Before Leo was sold Paul Barber said the club had no need to sell him. That seems at odds with your assertion that if we hadn't sold Leo we'd have failed FFP. My view is that the club would have met FFP with different transfer dealings that financial year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports