NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Although those don't seem to have also been driving while banned, driving while uninsured and have multiple previous motoring convictions.
I must presume Katey Price is 'Bankrupt' (financially that is) and the car is leased/ borrowed? Her previous offences, the amount of alcohol and driving whilst banned really doesn't stack up with these low levels of fines and suspended sentence.

It will probably all end up with someone being badly hurt or killed next time she drives whilst drunk/ banned, which she almost certainly will do.

Very sad.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
She is such a low life piece of shit.

Jan 30, 2008
51 people arrested for Drink /drug driving so far in the pre Christmas clampdown by Sussex police who said they were shocked by the numbers

Regards
DF

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This verdict doesn't make any sense to me. Presumably she WOULD have gone to jail if - by chance - she'd rolled into another car which - by chance - she didn't.

It's difficult to know who seems to get more "last chances" - her or Boris.

I worry - like before - she'll get behind a wheel while disqualified and kill someone. Isn't the point of prison to take dangerous people like her out of society and give them a short, sharp shock that might then change their behaviour?

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This verdict doesn't make any sense to me. Presumably she WOULD have gone to jail if - by chance - she'd rolled into another car which - by chance - she didn't.

I agree,. The BBC reporting she has had FIVE previous disqualifications ! Also tested positive for Cocaine too after this latest arrest, not sure why the police did not press charges on that too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I worry - like before - she'll get behind a wheel while disqualified and kill someone. Isn't the point of prison to take dangerous people like her out of society and give them a short, sharp shock that might then change their behaviour?

I think you’ve hit the nail on its head. It was a single vehicle incident, no other party involved. Plus she admitted everything (drink and drugs) to the police very early on in hospital.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think the District Judge got it right, despite my initial thoughts.
Firstly, if she had imposed an immediate custodial sentence (16 weeks is pretty much the maximum given the early guilty plea) no-one would have batted an eyelid and it would have been fully justified. However she would have been released after 8 weeks and, given her history, would be likely to offend again, maybe next time she would kill herself or someone else.
A deferred sentence is uncommon but what it effectively says is "you say you can get help and will engage, come back in three months with proof that you have".
So Ms Price must have successfully engaged with the rehab programme to such a degree that they could give a favourable report and that they felt that she could make further progress.
A suspended sentence with considerably onerous requirements (unpaid work and further treatment) give her the chance to permanently change her behaviour and coping strategy; with the threat of immediate activation of the suspension and thus imprisonment hanging over her.
The alternative is an almost inevitable further offence and next time she, or an innocent party, could be seriously hurt or killed.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Firstly, if she had imposed an immediate custodial sentence (16 weeks is pretty much the maximum given the early guilty plea) no-one would have batted an eyelid and it would have been fully justified. However she would have been released after 8 weeks and, given her history, would be likely to offend again, maybe next time she would kill herself or someone else.
A deferred sentence is uncommon but what it effectively says is "you say you can get help and will engage, come back in three months with proof that you have".
So Ms Price must have successfully engaged with the rehab programme to such a degree that they could give a favourable report and that they felt that she could make further progress.
A suspended sentence with considerably onerous requirements (unpaid work and further treatment) give her the chance to permanently change her behaviour and coping strategy; with the threat of immediate activation of the suspension and thus imprisonment hanging over her.
The alternative is an almost inevitable further offence and next time she, or an innocent party, could be seriously hurt or killed.

Nicely explained, ta. What I don't understand in these cases is the length of ban, genuinely think once people are on to their 3rd/4th/5th chance, a long ban like 5-10 years would be appropriate.....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Nicely explained, ta. What I don't understand in these cases is the length of ban, genuinely think once people are on to their 3rd/4th/5th chance, a long ban like 5-10 years would be appropriate.....

A second (or subsequent conviction within 10 years attracts a mandatory three year disqualification.
In Ms Price's case the more serious offence is Driving Whilst Disqualified (possible imprisonment plus the addition of a further period of disqualification).

The problem with imprisonment is that it is seen as a "final" sentence in that one should be free of any encumbrance upon release, so the court cannot impose, say, 10 weeks inside with a treatment requirement; prisons do absolutely nothing to help addicts for shorter sentences (and very little for longer term prisoners).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

If this were the first or maybe second occasion then I could accept your reasoning but this is the FIFTH time and its a reasonably well publicised case which is sending out the message we are not strong enough on drink drivers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On the basis of her history, whilst she might give up the booze and drugs, I can’t see complying with the driving ban.I just hope that she gets reported if she is seen driving around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here