Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Katie Price Arrested Again for Alleged Drink Driving

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Maybe she could help with the marshalling at the P&R at Pyecombe Equestrian centre this Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Having sat in the chair and dealt with quite a few of these offences I think the mags got it right.
Her celebrity status and wealth is irrelevant with regard to severity of the offences and will have played no part in the decision; KP's ability to fund a trip to the Priory might have bearing on it.
Driving whilst Disqualified : the most serious of the offences - you have been ordered not to drive by a court and warned that prison is a possible consequence if you ignore the order.
In this case, the Drink/drug Driving and No Insurance would be aggravating factors making sentencing more onerous.
A deferred sentence isn't very common but, in this instance, is being properly used so they can see if she has engaged to address her addictions. Having said that, if they'd sent her striaght down for six months (reduced to four months for an early guilty plea and released after serving half so out well before christmas) no-one would have questioned it and I doubt her solicitor would have appealed it.
My guess is that when she comes back in December she'll get 6 months suspended for two years with Mental health/alcohol treatment requirements if she's able to convince the sentencing bench sh has engaged and sent straight down if she cannot.
Personally I like suspended sentences; F..k up again and you go straight down whereas with immediate custody you do your time and your back out without any ongoing supervision.

Interesting insight. There are a couple of things that you might be able to clarify to a layman. Surely if you driving whilst disqualified you have already ignored a court order and effectively had your 'chance'. This was I assume a Category 1 offence with multiple aggravating factors (crashed, drink, drugs, previous convictions). So the starting point for the sentence is 12 weeks custody? Also I would be interested to know why you think a suspended sentence is appropriate. She is clearly a danger to the public, based on her history (multiple Priory visits) there is no prospect of rehabilitation and she is a repeat offender. My personal opinion would be that a custodial sentence would be more of and a deterrent than another visit to the Priory and a suspended sentence.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
A multi agency approach to her complex needs is required. But drink driving needs punishing. Okay, she has mental health issues and substance abuse problems and needs help for that but she's clearly got capacity. She has made a choice to consume alcohol and drive a car without a license. Whatever she was getting or whenever she was giung, she decided to risk it.

Addiction always causes reckless behaviour. It never excuses it. Addicts do not have immunity from the law but any sentence needs to reflect her need for drug treatment and counselling.

Having written that, I think she is an early example of all that is wrong in society and laid the foundations for some truly embarrassing "celebrity behaviour".

As an addict I have to disagree. We have no choice. In active addiction I was in the grip of something more powerful than reason, that's why it's such a ****er

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an addict I have to disagree. We have no choice. In active addiction I was in the grip of something more powerful than reason, that's why it's such a ****er

There is a degree of truth on that. In my experience of working with addicts, choice is a factor. But there’s no one truth when it comes to addiction

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You would think that at some point, someone in her family could have caught her on a "good" day and persuaded her to get shut of the car. Partly because it would remove temptation, and partly because even Katie Price (when sober) must recognise that driving the world's only bright pink Range Rover is a bit of a giveaway.

The "car" she was driving was a present given to her two weeks ago by the Carl, knowing she was banned, a, alco/ smackhead has mental issues etc etc should have known better that to give here a car with that information.
He has something to answer to.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The "car" she was driving was a present given to her two weeks ago by the Carl, knowing she was banned, a, alco/ smackhead has mental issues etc etc should have known better that to give here a car with that information.
He has something to answer to.

From the stupidity aspect this is pivotal - maybe a light aircraft would have been a better gift ....

She doesn't have a license for that ASAIK.
And, yes, I know she could have crashed a plane into a school and killed more than if she was in a car - it's the sentiment .... most air crashes only injure/kill those on board.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Interesting insight. There are a couple of things that you might be able to clarify to a layman. Surely if you driving whilst disqualified you have already ignored a court order and effectively had your 'chance'. This was I assume a Category 1 offence with multiple aggravating factors (crashed, drink, drugs, previous convictions). So the starting point for the sentence is 12 weeks custody? Also I would be interested to know why you think a suspended sentence is appropriate. She is clearly a danger to the public, based on her history (multiple Priory visits) there is no prospect of rehabilitation and she is a repeat offender. My personal opinion would be that a custodial sentence would be more of and a deterrent than another visit to the Priory and a suspended sentence.

Your opinion is perfectly valid and a different bench might have taken a similar view and sent her straight down.
I imagine the bench that dealt thought that there was a prospect of rehabilitation; I used to sit on the Drug Rehabilitation Requirement panel and I've seen drug addicts on their third or fourth "round" come good and kick the addiction (or, more accurately, develop the skills to manage it).
Being pragmatic, after two months inside she'd come out and, almost certainly, re-offend. Whilst you've protected the public (one of the objectives of sentencing) for those two months, you've risked further endangerment when she comes out; you have, in effect, deferred the almost inevitable consequences.
With a suspended sentence you can impose requirements that she continues to engage with mental health and drug/alcohol addiction teams, she will have frequent reporting to the relevant panel (who can, if they think she's not trying, activate the sentence immediately). Furthermore if she re-offends, she will have the sentence activated and will face a further sentence for the new offences.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Isn't it remarkable that someone on the cusp of being made bankrupt can afford over £5K a week to take up residence at the Priory? Hope they have taken "payment up front".

Or did she have the money all the time hidden away from her creditors? Hmmmmmmmm.......

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ref #130

I have just realised she is already a bankrupt! So where's the Priory money coming from? Hope the NHS isn't shelling out for her.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Isn't it remarkable that someone on the cusp of being made bankrupt can afford over £5K a week to take up residence at the Priory? Hope they have taken "payment up front".

Or did she have the money all the time hidden away from her creditors? Hmmmmmmmm.......

I think what is happening here is that she has (or probably has) income from various sources even if sporadic and irregular. She is meant to passing on a proportion of that to her creditors. However, I am not sure what forces her to do that and I am sure in any case she would claim that she should be able to use her funds on a Priory stay as it is essential in order for her to continue to earn an income.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Highly unlikely for such a short stay; she'd just be locked up for 8 weeks then let out with no support or help.

Bit harsh, especially with the size of hers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
From the stupidity aspect this is pivotal - maybe a light aircraft would have been a better gift ....

She doesn't have a license for that ASAIK.
And, yes, I know she could have crashed a plane into a school and killed more than if she was in a car - it's the sentiment .... most air crashes only injure/kill those on board.

Oh, that’s all right then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here