Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson ain't a happy boy

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
MK Dons had a proven striker who they signed this season on a free i think and he scored against us. The problem is if we signed one who would you drop Hemed or Baldock on work rate neither deserve it. As regards the penalty shout I didnt think so at the time but watching it again on video it was a nailed on penalty.

I assume you are referring to Nicky Maynard, he is hardly proven and the goal against us was his first for MK Dons. One good season for Bristol City 6 seasons ago. The other seasons have been mediocre at best. He's only scored about 5 league goals in the last 3 seasons. His career has gone backwards massively since his move to West Ham.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Apart from being man of the match against Forest which started the run...

You suggested Dunk was part of an established back five. He played in one game. There were 7 games in August (the period during which we could have taken that £5m offer). Considering it was the other five who established a run of results (as opposed to just one) we wouldn't have been breaking up a defence.

We would, however, have been losing someone who has since been an important replacement.

and a PPG metric is fine but he's not there to put the goals in the other end is he... (except last season when he did that as well)
but to put it another way since Greer was injured in the first half against Leeds then the Dunk/Uwe partnership has
played 5 and half matches, all unbeaten, and the defence has conceded a mere 3 goals, 2 clean sheets (and the clean sheet of a half against Leeds).

All well and good, but, we were also undefeated before Greer went off injured against Leeds, so it's not like being undefeated in our last few games is different to when Dunk doesn't play.

The primary job of the defence may be to stop opponents scoring more than we do, but they also play a part in starting attacks, especially with our style of play building from the back. The whole team is there to win games - something we do more often without Dunk.

Look, I'm not trying to suggest we should sell Dunk. I'm simply saying that you are wrong to suggest that selling him back in August would have necessitated breaking up a successful defence. It wouldn't have because after the first game, however well he played in it, he warmed the bench and wasn't a part of what became the established back 5 in August.

If the rumours that we have bid in excess of £6 or 7 million for Calleri are true then it would suggest the money is there for the right target and that is without the sale of Dunk.

Well, there seems to be a lot of confusion over what currency that bid is actually in, but even if that was the value, my second point stands - that £5m would have given us more to play with, maybe we would have been enjoying watching Calleri bang in goals for fun if we could stretch to 8 or 9m thanks to Dunk's sale.

Again, I'm not saying we should have sold Dunk, but that Triggaaar was wrong to state as fact that there was no 25 goal striker out there (that any of us might be able to name) that we might have had a chance at signing with an extra £5m in the budget from selling Dunk. Not least because sometimes strikers come from no where - who would have predicted in the summer that we'd see Vardy's goal scoring run?

If there needs to be an argument for holding on to Dunk rather than taking £5m, it's that with Greer out for the last 5 games, where would we be without him? And even if we do sign someone who previously scored 25+ goals a season, there's no guarantee they'll do it for us - we've seen a few strikers over the years struggle with us and go on to bang them in elsewhere.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
my second point stands - that £5m would have given us more to play with, maybe we would have been enjoying watching Calleri bang in goals for fun if we could stretch to 8 or 9m thanks to Dunk's sale..

Except all reports suggest we continued to chase Callieri in that final week before end of transfer window , well after we'd given Dunk a contract and settled his future.
And all reports suggest we're continuing to chase him. So the idea that buying him is related to Dunk being sold or that Bloom wasn't prepared to spend or hasn't the funds (unless he sells players) doesn't stand.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13890719.Albion_step_back_up_their_interest_in_Boca_Juniors_hitman/

Argus reports in August : "Albion tabled an offer (reported to be £6m+) and chief executive Paul Barber flew to Buenos Aires but no agreement could be reached."
Argus reports last month "Paul Winstanley, Albion’s head of recruitment, was in Buenos Aires last weekend on a wide-ranging scouting mission involving Calleri and other targets."

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
[QUOTE=dazzer6666;7142265

Thought Robinson was good value in his post match interview. Proper rant at the ref (he'll get fined for it), lots of good words about us and the remembrance in particular but he thought they didn't deserve to lose (they did, he was wrong on that point)

Totally disagree.
Thought it was an appalling interview. It showed no class, no dignity and no consistency. It was a one-sided rant, concentrating solely on the penalty claim, as if it was the only mistake the ref made. To suggest that it robbed them of a deserved draw was pathetic. They had two efforts on goal in 95 minutes and overall, they were very, very average. They were lucky we were so generous in front of goal. They should have lost 5-0. He didn't have lots of good words about us. All he said was that we were a very good side.
In that sad and desperate rant, he showed his limitations and why he will only ever be a small-club manager. If I supported MKD, I would be embarrassed by his behaviour. All their fans know they got off lightly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes it was a penalty but it was also not a foul by Manu when he was heading clear through on goal. Worst team at the Amex this season and Robinson should count himself lucky we were not out of sight by half time

mmm.... I thought it was more about us playing rather well in the first 20 minutes than them being dreadful. The worst team by far I recall seeing this season at home was Brizzltitty, but that was largely down to their insanely negative approach, time wasting after 20 minutes, and squandering the potency of what was actually a decent attacking capacity. Anyway . . . . we won.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Except all reports suggest we continued to chase Callieri in that final week before end of transfer window , well after we'd given Dunk a contract and settled his future.
And all reports suggest we're continuing to chase him. So the idea that buying him is related to Dunk being sold or that Bloom wasn't prepared to spend or hasn't the funds (unless he sells players) doesn't stand.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13890719.Albion_step_back_up_their_interest_in_Boca_Juniors_hitman/

Argus reports in August : "Albion tabled an offer (reported to be £6m+) and chief executive Paul Barber flew to Buenos Aires but no agreement could be reached."
Argus reports last month "Paul Winstanley, Albion’s head of recruitment, was in Buenos Aires last weekend on a wide-ranging scouting mission involving Calleri and other targets."

I didn't say we can't or didn't sign him because we didn't sell Dunk. I meant that if we had a bit more money to play with, we might have been able to get the deal done in August. Offer an extra couple of million and the deal might have gone through sooner (i.e. might still happen, but also might have already happened with a better offer from us).

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
For me a clear pen. Wouldnt and shoudnt have mattered if hemed knew where the goal was. 5 great chances squandered should have seen us out of sight. Hemed a real worry for me. Its the only area in the team where there is no real competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here