Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kamari Doyle

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I understand that, but senior players are expensive in terms of wages, transfer fees, hard to find and not guaranteed to work out anyway. Look at Dahoud so far, looked a banker but hasn’t worked out yet.

I have no doubt the club are monitoring a great number of many experienced players, but as always we will only move when the time (and the price) is right. We tracked Veltman for years, and bided our time until he was available for £900k. We learnt our PL lessons the hard (and expensive) way with players like Jahanbaksh and Locadia.

The idea of squad building is to slowly and carefully add to it with the right players at the right time. But we simply cannot and won’t operate in a way many believe we should; I.e “we need a central midfielder - let’s go out and find one for X price”.

Our policy seems to be to track players we want, and get them regardless of our strength in that position. We didn’t need Fati but the right player came up and we acted.
The not what we need right now argument, barely makes sense, when the club doesn't always control when players leave. I am not sure how you get ready made replacements lined up, if you don't sign prospects like this and develop them.

Losing Caceido was probably a year earlier than the club would have wished for and Baleba is still some way from being a ready made replacement. In the mean time, you can see the transformation in Gilmour, who looks physically stronger and is playing with authority for the full 90 minutes. Are we really missing a defensive midfielder? I personally wouldn't swap him for the energetic yet clumsy Kalvin Phillips.

Buonanotte is also adding a more physical side to his game, is less likely to be brushed off the ball and more likely to win the ball back.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
The not what we need right now argument, barely makes sense, when the club doesn't always control when players leave. I am not sure how you get ready made replacements lined up, if you don't sign prospects like this and develop them.

Losing Caceido was probably a year earlier than the club would have wished for and Baleba is still some way from being a ready made replacement. In the mean time, you can see the transformation in Gilmour, who looks physically stronger and is playing with authority for the full 90 minutes. Are we really missing a defensive midfielder? I personally wouldn't swap him for the energetic yet clumsy Kalvin Phillips.

Buonanotte is also adding a more physical side to his game, is less likely to be brushed off the ball and more likely to win the ball back.
Yep.

Also getting in 'what we need right nowers' ultimately will kill off one of our key selling points. That talented youngsters will be given every chance to have a pathway to our first team. It's the one advantage we have over bigger clubs.

If they start to think they may get stockpiled in the reserves behind expensive purchases they may as well get stockpiled in city's academy on twice the dough.

That said, there is room for the occassional senior player strategic purchase. Pervis was a good example.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Some really wanky replies on this thread and the other couple about our links to other prospects.

When are people going to understand this is our transfer strategy. I’ve explained dozens of times how it works, it’s not rocket science.

1. Use a combination of statistical algorithms/extensive scouting network to identify young targets with huge potential

2. Use contacts developed over decade(s) to secure transfers at prices which offer value relative to the footballer and their potential, as measured by the above

3. Sign player, assess. Loan out for further development or integrate into first team squad

4. Adapt player into system, develop their skills and give them match experience at the highest possible level. Persevere with their steady development in training and matches.

5. Reap the rewards of their performances by selling for top dollar when a buying club reaches the player’s assessed value relative to his ability.

6. Reinvest portion of these proceeds into another batch of young players.

The ones that don’t work out have transfer losses offset by the winners, and furthermore by loan fees and wages paid by another club.

“Why do we need another attacking midfielder?” - because we can. We have a great system of loaning players out to develop their abilities, and if the buying price is right, we’ve largely recouped the amortised transfer fee by the end of the contract through loans and the increase in value of the player through match experience and development. Any transfer fee received is banked as profit.

Sorry if I seem arsey about this, it’s just really bloody obvious how we do business. But young, develop, sell high. As long as the young players we buy are good enough - and they are, thanks to point 1. it’s a fantastic strategy.
You do realise that those of us who are not patient enough to appreciate youth development will also not be patient enough to read long posts?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well she shouldn’t be. Saints are the best team on the South Coast - at least that’s what I’ve been told over the last forty years. :drink:
Yep, my little brother has lorded it over me with that line, he said we will crash and burn like they did and enjoy our day in the sun, as it wont last.....

He also said he has not heard of Kamari Doyle, so we are welcome to him...

I think he as much as I love him, is being a dick

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, my little brother has lorded it over me with that line, he said we will crash and burn like they did and enjoy our day in the sun, as it wont last.....

He also said he has not heard of Kamari Doyle, so we are welcome to him...

I think he as much as I love him, is being a dick
Mrs DiS has certainly heard of Kamari Doyle - “one of our most promising youngsters!”

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I can see both sides of this. We do need to offer a pathway but we also need adequate experience and cover this season.
I don’t think we need to sign a 1st team ready winger in this window, due to the strength we have in that position when most are fit, I think in 3-4 weeks time that will look very different as they come back.
BUT
I do think we are light one 1st team ready CM - Baleba does not look ready and Dahood has underwhelmed, Moder is not really a CM and I’m not sure RDZ completely trusts him yet. An injury to Gross or Gilmour and we’re left having to play one of those or Milner there. If we were to make a 1st team ready signing in the next week then IMO it should be at CM.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Someone’s tired.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can see both sides of this. We do need to offer a pathway but we also need adequate experience and cover this season.
I don’t think we need to sign a 1st team ready winger in this window, due to the strength we have in that position when most are fit, I think in 3-4 weeks time that will look very different as they come back.
BUT
I do think we are light one 1st team ready CM - Baleba does not look ready and Dahood has underwhelmed, Moder is not really a CM and I’m not sure RDZ completely trusts him yet. An injury to Gross or Gilmour and we’re left having to play one of those or Milner there. If we were to make a 1st team ready signing in the next week then IMO it should be at CM.
In what way is Moder not really a CM?
moder.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I understand that, but senior players are expensive in terms of wages, transfer fees, hard to find and not guaranteed to work out anyway. Look at Dahoud so far, looked a banker but hasn’t worked out yet.

I have no doubt the club are monitoring a great number of many experienced players, but as always we will only move when the time (and the price) is right. We tracked Veltman for years, and bided our time until he was available for £900k. We learnt our PL lessons the hard (and expensive) way with players like Jahanbaksh and Locadia.

The idea of squad building is to slowly and carefully add to it with the right players at the right time. But we simply cannot and won’t operate in a way many believe we should; I.e “we need a central midfielder - let’s go out and find one for X price”.

Our policy seems to be to track players we want, and get them regardless of our strength in that position. We didn’t need Fati but the right player came up and we acted.
I know.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Although true, the confusion is people don't get that it's not mutually exclusive. We aren't signing Doyle instead of a first teamer, so caning the signing because he's not PL-ready misses the point.
I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here