Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just wondering

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sat on my PC and like everybody else pondering both the future and the past.

If we were at Falmer what would our crowd have been yesterday.

I think a maximum10.000

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Perhaps the attendance would be inflated by the seven hundred and fifty six midfielders we would have had on the bench.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I am sat on my PC and like everybody else pondering both the future and the past.

I think a maximum10.000

If we had the extra 2000 seats at Withdean would have filled them?? Apart from the Leeds and possibly Wolves game I would say probably not.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It probably would have been lowish but then if the club had extra seats they would most likely have organised a kids for a quid day with this fixture in advance in order to inflate the attendance. Despite their attempts this time to get kids in cheaply the tickets were returned so late there was little chance of either advertising or those who could have arranged a school trip to this fixture like myself actually having the time to organise it within a school.

There are a lot of people on here who view our fanbase through rose tinted spectacles. The club has the capacity to attract 25 - 30 K attendances but only if the club were playing certain clubs. We'd probably average 12-13 K per fixture in this division. If you look through the history of our attendances you'd find the fans come when the team is playing well and disappear when they're not.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A cold damp November afternoon against a team with a fair away following 8720.
This was the last time we were in Division 2 as was at the Goldstone and played Middlesbrough on 9/11/91.
Brighton have a lot of butterflies who float along to the big games but for the bread and butter games against the likes of Crewe and Rotherham can't be arsed and what makes everyone think they'll turn out for these fixtures at Falmer ?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Also seating prices will be cheaper at Falmer along with the fact that you will be able to turn up on the gate and pay. Put with this the fact that I am sure they will have special deals for games like yesterday where they expect a low attendance.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Why will seats at Falmer be cheaper?

I know the supply and demand factor at Withdean makes for almost the most expensive seats in this division but when we get Falmer, isn't someone going to want some payback on their investment?

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
BensGrandad said:

I think a maximum10.000

when we are back in our rightful place we will pull in 10,000 in our nice shiny new ground............

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Theatre of Trees said:
It probably would have been lowish but then if the club had extra seats they would most likely have organised a kids for a quid day with this fixture in advance in order to inflate the attendance. Despite their attempts this time to get kids in cheaply the tickets were returned so late there was little chance of either advertising or those who could have arranged a school trip to this fixture like myself actually having the time to organise it within a school.

There are a lot of people on here who view our fanbase through rose tinted spectacles. The club has the capacity to attract 25 - 30 K attendances but only if the club were playing certain clubs. We'd probably average 12-13 K per fixture in this division. If you look through the history of our attendances you'd find the fans come when the team is playing well and disappear when they're not.

I applaud your optimism of 12 - 13k I think that to achieve that sort of figure would require a large away following unless we were top of the league or near to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I applaud your optimism of 12 - 13k I think that to achieve that sort of figure would require a large away following unless we were top of the league or near to.
:shootself :thud:

Didn't go to Cardiff then?

I suspect, however, that the Albion could really do without your support. It sucks.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
10000 at home to Crewe is nothing to be ashamed of. 15000 - 20000 for the top games, 14000 average, extra 7500 average.

20 pounds x 7500 = 150000 pounds x 23 = 3 450 000 pounds extra revenue.

3 and a half million pounds !.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
BensGrandad said:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of how Reading have gradually increased their numbers to settle around that mark. I would imagine that once the stadium is ready then they'd be an initial surge from many who want to go but are unable or can;t be arsed to jump through the various hoops to obtain a ticket. The nature of Withdean also prevents large groups deciding to have a Saturday at the football because they'd be split around the ground if they weren't quick enough getting a ticket. The other thing is getting kids in, I'm a teacher and one thing I plan on doing once Falmer is up and running is organising regular trips from the school I work at. There is a demand but many cannot get tickets. Also they are enough kids who support a big team who would like to attend games because they like football and once you get them into going to experience a match live you would be able to hook a number in. The more people who do it the more the average attendance will gradually increase.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
:shootself :thud:

Didn't go to Cardiff then?

I suspect, however, that the Albion could really do without your support. It sucks.

I cannot believe that you are quoting CARDIFF as a typical Saturday afternoon match.

When we were in the 1st Division at The Goldstone we didnt ever get a crowd of over 30,000 although our ground capacity although reduced at the time allowed it.

So why should we suddenly get 30,000 now or at FALMER and if the club thought that we would have got that many why have they opted to build a 22500 capacity stadium.

Your final point I have been supporting the club and contributing money to them in every way possible and given endless time for them since 1945 and because I do not agree with you and some of your narrow minded, blinkered friends the club do not need me.

Get into the real world.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Because the site at Falmer which is the only option could only hold a 22 000 stadium perhaps ??? :rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gareth Glover said:
Because the site at Falmer which is the only option could only hold a 22 000 stadium perhaps ??? :rolleyes:

If the club thought that they coukld regularly geta crowd of 30,000 they would have had the stadium designed for that number. The permission etc would have been no greater than now and the construction costs very little more.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course Cardiff is not a typical Saturday match - but it does highlight our potential.

In your real world BG, there is a 'hidden agenda' on the board; the board themselves are not bothered if we get relegated; that you think that a 13,000 crowd is 'optimistic'; Dick Knight ought to be ashamed of asking supporters for financial assistance when asking rich people to contribute is OK; that Dick Knight was not the best person to have saved the Albion; that Archer, Stanley and Bellotti would already have got us our new stadium in Brighton;... do you want me to go on?

And you call me 'narrow-minded and blinkered'?

Barry Lloyd, Dennis Sullivan, Greg Stanley, Bill Archer - those days have gone. We are in a different epoch. The rules do not apply anymore. Dick Knight built the current club from virtually NOTHING. We are almost talking about a different beast in all but name and location.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here