Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I wonder what these people would think of a programme of building nuclear power stations as a cleaner solution to electricity generation?

A few years back, Zion Lights, one of Extinction Rebellion's spokespeople quit the group because of their flat out refusal to contemplate Nuclear power as an option.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The fact remains the legislation is now in place for any peaceful protestor to be sent to prison.
The police arrested the women at the peaceful Sarah Everard vigil. That has now been shown to be unlawful. This legislation removes that.

People are going to really upset when they realise that banning peaceful protest also includes protests they support

Is UK becoming Russia-Lite?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact remains the legislation is now in place for any peaceful protestor to be sent to prison.
The police arrested the women at the peaceful Sarah Everard vigil. That has now been shown to be unlawful. This legislation removes that.

probably not, as the legislation adds powers where there is "serious disruption to the life of the community", which a protest in a park is unlikely to qualify. makes an offense for protestors to refuse to follow police instruction, thats the really significant change, cant just ignore plod anymore. there's stuff about noise too, which is in environment law. peaceful protests, marches have not been made illegal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
probably not, as the legislation adds powers where there is "serious disruption to the life of the community", which a protest in a park is unlikely to qualify. makes an offense for protestors to refuse to follow police instruction, thats the really significant change, cant just ignore plod anymore. there's stuff about noise too, which is in environment law. peaceful protests, marches have not been made illegal.

I can remember making a noise whilst marching along the seafront. Football chants and suchlike - We want our stadium - at full volume.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

What the new legal restriction has done is let police and the government decide what protests can go ahead and given them a raft of “reasons” to declare a protest illegal. So yes, any protest can now be declared illegal.
Which in my opinion is practically begging for civil unrest.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I can remember making a noise whilst marching along the seafront. Football chants and suchlike - We want our stadium - at full volume.

you were on a seafront, in a busy town, in middle of the day right? thats not disrupting anyone. noise is covered under environment law already, with a lot o faff with council, if they wanted to.

have a read of the legislation, page 78-80. quite a lot milder that i expected from some commentry.
https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/44739/documents/1259

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you were on a seafront, in a busy town, in middle of the day right? thats not disrupting anyone. noise is covered under environment law already, with a lot o faff with council, if they wanted to.

have a read of the legislation, page 78-80.
https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/44739/documents/1259

The marches (there was more than one} certainly disrupted the traffic on the A259.
Can you imagine this legislation in place when the fans invaded the pitch, protested, broke the crossbar? The corrupt directors would have had the opportunities to get fans arrested and sent down. As it happens, one poor lad got six months for a first time offence, making a phone call.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
These are exactly the same people you will see committing acts of terror at every possible opportunity. Tearing down statues, blocking doors to McDonalds, throwing animal blood on shoppers in Sainsbury's. Any opportunity to commit crime, get on the television and act out their delusions of moral superiority under the banner of "protest'.

They need to get a job and stop being so silly.

Everyone I’ve ever known to publicly protest, including me, was also working? Seems your stereotype isn’t though?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These are exactly the same people you will see committing acts of terror at every possible opportunity. Tearing down statues, blocking doors to McDonalds, throwing animal blood on shoppers in Sainsbury's. Any opportunity to commit crime, get on the television and act out their delusions of moral superiority under the banner of "protest'.

They need to get a job and stop being so silly.

Do you not feel ridiculous at all using the word terror - previously used to describe things such as the acts that killed 52 people in London, thousands of people in WTC and 193 people in Madrid - about destroying a couple of petrol pumps or "block doors to McDonalds"? You really think these acts should be categorised under the same word?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Everyone I’ve ever known to publicly protest, including me, was also working? Seems your stereotype isn’t though?

Quite. Additionally, is one not allowed to care about things if one is not in employment? Seems like a rather positive thing to spend time doing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Quite. Additionally, is one not allowed to care about things if one is not in employment? Seems like a rather positive thing to spend time doing.

A lovely woman who lives near us is retired. She is a passionate advocate for Insulate Britain and XR and tells me that she is in a very privileged position, as - having stopped working and having paid off her mortgage - she doesn't need to worry about getting arrested. There are potentially millions of people like her in the UK. Hopefully more and more will come to the same view as her. Just because she's not working doesn't mean she can't protest!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A lovely woman who lives near us is retired. She is a passionate advocate for Insulate Britain and XR and tells me that she is in a very privileged position, as - having stopped working and having paid off her mortgage - she doesn't need to worry about getting arrested. There are potentially millions of people like her in the UK. Hopefully more and more will come to the same view as her. Just because she's not working doesn't mean she can't protest!

what are people supposed to put in there car ...? squirty cream , shampoo...??

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
These protestors are taking this action because the government is still failing to take the climate emergency seriously so all power to them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No, us unemployed people are only allowed to do drugs, ********** and surf the NSC. Preferably all at once.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I wish I was physically stronger because I would do the same. I do my protesting online.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
These protestors are taking this action because the government is still failing to take the climate emergency seriously so all power to them.

they are taking action because they dont accept compromise. we all use products and services based on fossil fuels and deriviatives, some people think we can end this, or at least stop any production within our shores. at best it just moves it abroard, at worst we lose those products and services that cant be replaced with alternatives. example the Woodhouse coal mine in Cumbria, producing high grade coal for steel making. if the aim of Just Stop Oil is fullfilled, this mine wouldnt go ahead. are we saying we'd prefer to import that coal for steel making or not make any steel? or are we going to stop using steel altogether?

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Three Mile Island and Chernobyl are good reasons.

Understandably so, and lessons were learned from both those incidents and the more recent one at Fukushima. However it is possible to use other elements as a fuel starting point where cooling the reactor quickly is less problematic in an emergency than it was in all three of those incidents.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Remember: Those who called for the abolition of slavery, suffrage for women, and same-sex marriage were also branded lunatics. Until history proved them right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here