Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just purchased 2 season tickets for Crystal Palace.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We rarely sold out games last season (although a couple of times we did) because the stadium is in poor condition, although when we rebuild Selhurst we will probably have 35,000 every game as long as we're in the PL.

So you have "fans" not coming because they dislike the stadium ? You used that to call us plastic, yet its apparently the same about yourself.

And 35k a match ?? No chance - we however would reach 35k if we could, we are* hitting 30k attendances in the Championship !!

* = According to the club we have hit 30k.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Is this actually true - CPFC are not allowed to set up a d/d scheme because the banks will not allow it ?

It seems that we simply didn't organise it quickly enough (bank says it will take 3 months to set up), but are planning to do it for next years season tickets and memberships

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=11126636&postcount=138

We were hoping to do monthly direct debit but the bank say it will take 3 months to set this up. Hopefully next season all memberships and season tickets can be sold on monthly or annual direct debits.

When someone says it would only take 2 weeks to set up if we changed banks, Steve replied that most banks would see us (a business that has gone bust in the past and which loses £5 million a year) as a good risk.

So we are going to be copying your excellent DD idea, but we're not going to be changing banks.

Banned
May 19, 2013
So you have "fans" not coming because they dislike the stadium ? You used that to call us plastic, yet its apparently the same about yourself.

And 35k a match ?? No chance - we however would reach 35k if we could, we are* hitting 30k attendances in the Championship !!

* = According to the club we have hit 30k.

Point of order - you are describing fair weather fans, not plastics. Fair weathers are the fans who disappear when times get tough. Plastics are the ones who support another team (a "big" club) and who probably own a shirt of that team too.

All clubs have fans ranging from the insanely hardcore, go and stand on the terraces on a Tuesday night at some god awful northern club where you're certain to loose types, to the pretty shit glance at the paper for results and annoy your mates for a ticket only when it's a really big game fair weathers.

It's your plastics we laugh at. Those who support chelsea and man united and Liverpool, who turn up to the Amex with bits of their main teams kit on, who make YouTube videos about Brighton v palace one night and then wear their Chelsea shirt the next, who applaud Gerard and join in with YNWA, these utter utter bellends who all have the most ridiculous justifications for why they support a huge Premiership club they live nowhere near and who ignored Brighton when you were down in the dumps and could have most used the support.

Palace fans tend to exaggerate the number of these plastics that you have, but then Brighton fans tend to comically insist they don't exist at all.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Point of order - you are describing fair weather fans, not plastics. Fair weathers are the fans who disappear when times get tough. Plastics are the ones who support another team (a "big" club) and who probably own a shirt of that team too.

All clubs have fans ranging from the insanely hardcore, go and stand on the terraces on a Tuesday night at some god awful northern club where you're certain to loose types, to the pretty shit glance at the paper for results and annoy your mates for a ticket only when it's a really big game fair weathers.

It's your plastics we laugh at. Those who support chelsea and man united and Liverpool, who turn up to the Amex with bits of their main teams kit on, who make YouTube videos about Brighton v palace one night and then wear their Chelsea shirt the next, who applaud Gerard and join in with YNWA, these utter utter bellends who all have the most ridiculous justifications for why they support a huge Premiership club they live nowhere near and who ignored Brighton when you were down in the dumps and could have most used the support.

Palace fans tend to exaggerate the number of these plastics that you have, but then Brighton fans tend to comically insist they don't exist at all.

Apart from the one wind up tw@t on youtube can you or any Plalace fan point to any others as I have yet to meet a Brighton fan as you described. In fact I have lived 10 mins away from the Mad Stad since it was opened but while they were in the prem, I chose to go past it and drive 1hr 30 mins watch Brighton play league one football at the Withdean. I know a few others that did too, many more then the so called plastics you described.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Some of that I agree with. But you have just as many plastics I'm sure. I once did a Twitter search cross referencing palace and x big five/six premier league club, and you may be surprised at how many palace fans have other 'bigger' teams. I think that happens with all less fashionable teams. I know several palace fans who have a bigger team they love. I much prefer the genuine palace I know, got respect for them. Don't like it but, hey that's life.

Apart from the one wind up tw@t on youtube can you or any Plalace fan point to any others as I have yet to meet a Brighton fan as you described. In fact I have lived 10 mins away from the Mad Stad since it was opened but while they were in the prem, I chose to go past it and drive 1hr 30 mins watch Brighton play league one football at the Withdean. I know a few others that did too, many more then the so called plastics you described.

Cue the three photos of a little kid wearing a Brighton kit with Liverpool backpack, the grown man in Brighton shirt with a man U backpack and the half/half Brighton/Arsenal shirt as seen at the Amex at the Cup game.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Cue the three photos of a little kid wearing a Brighton kit with Liverpool backpack, the grown man in Brighton shirt with a man U backpack and the half/half Brighton/Arsenal shirt as seen at the Amex at the Cup game.

If the true then it's a discrace, but I have never seen that. I have seen lots of Brighton shirts and stickers on cars in Reading while I have lived here, not just recently either. Can't say I have ever seen a Reading sticker or shirt in Brighton but then I don't live there anymore so I coud have missed that as well.

Banned
May 19, 2013

Well quite. They're there, and I know two myself. I'm sure they're at Palace as Green Cross Code Man says, and I find it incomprehensible. How can you support one of those shits and be Palace (or indeed Brighton). Can't trust them.

I get on fine with most proper Brighton fans I know. The Man United/Brighton fan I know is a complete bellend.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We rarely sold out games last season (although a couple of times we did) because the stadium is in poor condition

So...just so I've got this straight, you understand...it's acceptable for lifelong Palace diehards not to turn up because Selhurst is an absolute hovel...but the Albion getting only 7,000 in the worst stadium in English football was a disgrace, yes?

Banned
May 19, 2013
So...just so I've got this straight, you understand...it's acceptable for lifelong Palace diehards not to turn up because Selhurst is an absolute hovel...but the Albion getting only 7,000 in the worst stadium in English football was a disgrace, yes?

It was normally closer to 6000 than 7000, but in fairness the Withdean was clearly more likely to keep fair weathers away than Selhurst (for all it's faults) has been for us. But surely you see why increasing your average attendance five-fold in a relatively short period of time is going to leave room for mickey-taking? All clubs see season tickets rise, fans return, etc on promotion but Brighton fans often try and claim (with a straight face) that this accounts entirely for Amex crowd. It's just not credible. And so then when the half and half shirt, or Chelsea YouTube vid, turn up it just compounds the point.

Though personally I couldn't give a shit. I have respect for those who went to the Withdean, less for those that didn't, and none for those who've been supporting a Premiership club when their local team needed them. But attendance means nothing to me. Man United get more fans than either of us and I wouldn't want to be those bunch of twats for anything.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
It was normally closer to 6000 than 7000, but in fairness the Withdean was clearly more likely to keep fair weathers away than Selhurst (for all it's faults) has been for us. But surely you see why increasing your average attendance five-fold in a relatively short period of time is going to leave room for mickey-taking? All clubs see season tickets rise, fans return, etc on promotion but Brighton fans often try and claim (with a straight face) that this accounts entirely for Amex crowd. It's just not credible. And so then when the half and half shirt, or Chelsea YouTube vid, turn up it just compounds the point.

Though personally I couldn't give a shit. I have respect for those who went to the Withdean, less for those that didn't, and none for those who've been supporting a Premiership club when their local team needed them. But attendance means nothing to me. Man United get more fans than either of us and I wouldn't want to be those bunch of twats for anything.

So you think the figure of real Brighton fans is nearer to 6000/7000 than 22000 do you?

Banned
May 19, 2013
So you think the figure of real Brighton fans is nearer to 6000/7000 than 22000 do you?

No, I think it will be somewhere in between. The 6000 wouldn't have been the same 6000 every week. I don't know how many were season ticket holders, but the rest of the crowd would have been made up of people who came to two thirds of games, or half, or a quarter, etc.

As I say, I don't personally care much. I've said who I respect and who I don't, and if you were one of the Brighton fans who went to the Withdean and supported your club when they needed you fair play to you. I don't for one second believe that that applies to all of your current crowd but I'm not really fussed about trying to pin down a number/percentage. I just think its daft when you try and pretend the plastics don't exist at all.

No, I think it will be somewhere in between. The 6000 wouldn't have been the same 6000 every week. I don't know how many were season ticket holders, but the rest of the crowd would have been made up of people who came to two thirds of games, or half, or a quarter, etc.

As I say, I don't personally care much. I've said who I respect and who I don't, and if you were one of the Brighton fans who went to the Withdean and supported your club when they needed you fair play to you. I don't for one second believe that that applies to all of your current crowd but I'm not really fussed about trying to pin down a number/percentage. I just think its daft when you try and pretend the plastics don't exist at all.

Can't argue with that really.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I am sure every club in our position has a number of bandwagon jumpers and I have no doubt since the Amex we have converted a few armchair premier league fans into our own. After all the taste of following your team at matches cannot be beaten with a sky sports subscription. However these fans will be a minority and the idea that these casual 'plastic supporters' exist in any volume is sheer green eyed nonsense spouted by your lot up the road.

It is now the 3rd season these 'plastics' have decided to turn up to watch championship football how many more seasons at this level do we have to sustain these attendance levels for you lot to wake up and smell the coffee?

Banned
May 19, 2013
I am sure every club in our position has a number of bandwagon jumpers and I have no doubt since the Amex we have converted a few armchair premier league fans into our own. After all the taste of following your team at matches cannot be beaten with a sky sports subscription. However these fans will be a minority and the idea that these casual 'plastic supporters' exist in any volume is sheer green eyed nonsense spouted by your lot up the road.

It is now the 3rd season these 'plastics' have decided to turn up to watch championship football how many more seasons at this level do we have to sustain these attendance levels for you lot to wake up and smell the coffee?

You have to sustain them when things turn shit (as they always will for clubs like ours, eventually). That's when you know if they're solid, not because they've stuck around for three of your most successful seasons in a generation (with added brand new stadium bonus).

Until they've been tested I expect you'll continue to get remarks about them.

I think there are more bandwagon jumpers than most Brighton fans would admit (even to themselves) but less than most Palace fans claim. Beyond that, I'm not really bothered trying to number them. Like every west ham fan was in the Blind Beggar when Ronnie shot Cornell, every Brighton fan was a regular at the Withdean. There's no point arguing it, you just have to laugh.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
You have to sustain them when things turn shit (as they always will for clubs like ours, eventually). That's when you know if they're solid, not because they've stuck around for three of your most successful seasons in a generation (with added brand new stadium bonus).

I think there are more bandwagon jumpers than most Brighton fans would admit (even to themselves) but less than most Palace fans claim. Beyond that, I'm not really bothered trying to number them. Like every west ham fan was in the Blind Beggar when Ronnie shot Cornell, every Brighton fan was a regular at the Withdean. There's no point arguing it, you just have to laugh.

I suspect that there's still a lot like me out there. I've followed the Albion and only the Albion since 1978, often going away as well. Some seasons I've had a season ticket, some seasons I hardly go at all. With me family and work have priority. Much as I love going, I rarely get to games at the Amex, but one day things will change and I'll go a lot more. I don't personally give a toss about plastics, fairweather fans or other teams attendances, all I want is to go when I can and have a good time. The obsession with Palace attendances is boring and meaningless, it's only because we have a great stadium that people fill it. One day I suspect Palace will splash out on a shiny new stadium and see the crowds flock in. Good luck to them.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Palace have largely remained in the championship (lets ignore the whys and wherefores of the administrations) so things have never really 'turned shit'

Genuine question but how many palace fans do you think would regularly turn up to watch your team in a rented athletics stadium for over 10 years in the lower divisions following a ground share with gillingham? When answering this consider you were not anywhere near to filling your stadium in your promotion push last season

Perhaps if you are honest with this answer you can consider the hypocrisy of your post and why so many stayed away.

I just find it amusing that when our attendances shoot up we are plastic but when your fickle (as stated by your chairman) fans come out the woodwork they are fair weather.

Can't have it both ways

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Withdean was only 12 years of our history. Many fans have returned that went to the Goldstone ground in the past. You Palace WUM seem to forget that we had a home for 96 years before we were robbed by asset strippers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here