Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got in

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
A semi independent review of todays performances from yours truly....bear in mind this is one of few games Ive seen you in this season so players may have had blips etc...

Stockdale - terrible and will cost you games. No command of his area. Made a couple of good saves to be fair to him but his allround game was poor. Seems harsh to criticise after a clean sheet but that was more through luck than a good performance in Stockdales case.
Bruno - average
Dunk - played well, had to deal with Brown for Blackburn knocking him about and being physical, and did it well.
Goldson - looked very shaky, poor on the ball.
Ridgewell - experienced and you know what you are getting with him. Decent player and did ok
Knockaert - little bit ineffective today but you can see glimpses that he'll be good.
Murphy - similar to Knockaert, did well in patches especially first half, could have done better with a few things but did ok.
Kayal and Stephens - both work hard but you need more from your central midfielders. A for effort C for ability, poor going forward/no creativity out of them
Zamora - your best player by a distance today, touch and hold up play is brilliant. Should have scored a couple more
Hemed - looks slow, wasnt impressed by him today.

As a team you worked hard, I thought Blackburn possibly deserved a point but sometimes footy doesnt work like that. Good win and deserved for workrate if not for quality.
Interesting - what you say about the players today seems at odds with what we've seen this season. For example Bruno, Stockdale,Stephens, Kayal been the main men so far. Dunk been more miss than hit whereas Goldson has looked pretty steady.

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
Interesting - what you say about the players today seems at odds with what we've seen this season. For example Bruno, Stockdale,Stephens, Kayal been the main men so far. Dunk been more miss than hit whereas Goldson has looked pretty steady.

I thought Stockdale was terrible, no command, no presence, didnt come for enough crosses etc, especially noticeable because Blackburns style, especially first half, was long balls and direct into the box, and long throws etc.

Do Kayal and Stephens normally create much? or score many goals etc? I wouldnt fault their effort, they just seemed very very limited?

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Kayal not amongst the goals so far whereas Stephens has been but they have been immense this season. Stockdale does seem to be on a bit of a wobble the last couple of games so maybe he's a confidence player as last season he was pretty average when the team was poor whereas this year he's been great except the last couple matches when our form is poor. Not disagreeing with your assessment as it's good to get a more independent view.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just home, finally after some events on the way back with Virgin Trains, great win hopefully on the up from now on

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
A semi independent review of todays performances from yours truly....bear in mind this is one of few games Ive seen you in this season so players may have had blips etc...

Stockdale - terrible and will cost you games. No command of his area. Made a couple of good saves to be fair to him but his allround game was poor. Seems harsh to criticise after a clean sheet but that was more through luck than a good performance in Stockdales case.
Bruno - average
Dunk - played well, had to deal with Brown for Blackburn knocking him about and being physical, and did it well.
Goldson - looked very shaky, poor on the ball.
Ridgewell - experienced and you know what you are getting with him. Decent player and did ok
Knockaert - little bit ineffective today but you can see glimpses that he'll be good.
Murphy - similar to Knockaert, did well in patches especially first half, could have done better with a few things but did ok.
Kayal and Stephens - both work hard but you need more from your central midfielders. A for effort C for ability, poor going forward/no creativity out of them
Zamora - your best player by a distance today, touch and hold up play is brilliant. Should have scored a couple more
Hemed - looks slow, wasnt impressed by him today.

As a team you worked hard, I thought Blackburn possibly deserved a point but sometimes footy doesnt work like that. Good win and deserved for workrate if not for quality.

Thanks for nothing for your semi independent report:moo:

I'm glad I stayed up:yawn:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Just been reading through those stats for Bobby Zamora, unless my math is wrong, he's played 687 minutes this season, that's equivalent to 7 games and 57 minutes and has 6 goals, is there a better goals per minute record in the Championship?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Just been reading through those stats for Bobby Zamora, unless my math is wrong, he's played 687 minutes this season, that's equivalent to 7 games and 57 minutes and has 6 goals, is there a better goals per minute record in the Championship?

This.....and if anyone is of the opinion they can drag more goals out of him by playing him continuesly for 90 minutes every game is a bit loopy and needs a reality check. We have a treasure in Sir Bob, let him do his business in a cameo role and not flog a 35 year old to death.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Why would Chris want him playing a cameo role when he is the only real quality we have? Will 20 min stints keep a 35 year old sharp ready for that odd half chance that may appear? I believe at his age he needs his match sharpness and his experience to compete against champion/premiership defenders, that how we will get the best from him. Who wants a part time striker?

Lol, I take it you have not reached the giddy heights of 35.

CH is handling Bobby just about right. BZ needs to be carefully managed at his age and also with his injury record. Cameo appearances and the odd 60 mins here and there until the time when we really need his skill, guile and experience, which will be at the business end of the season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why would Chris want him playing a cameo role when he is the only real quality we have? Will 20 min stints keep a 35 year old sharp ready for that odd half chance that may appear? I believe at his age he needs his match sharpness and his experience to compete against champion/premiership defenders, that how we will get the best from him. Who wants a part time striker?

Who scored the winning goal yesterday? In answer to your question, yes he will be/is sharp.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

CH is handling Bobby just about right. BZ needs to be carefully managed at his age and also with his injury record. Cameo appearances and the odd 60 mins here and there until the time when we really need his skill, guile and experience, which will be at the business end of the season.

Completely agree, however it seems he is our only goal scoring forward, which is a joke for a club looking to get promoted.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have surpassed 35, I played to 35 myself so I know how missing a few games at that age brings on the rust, in the championship I believe the rust must not get hold or you will be exposed and be second best. I don't get the argument with protecting him against injury a accident/injury can happen in a second, Solly for example.
However in the perfect world save bobby to the business end as you say and bobby is a big game player, but in reality we need him for as many minutes on that green stuff that he can be effective and to my mind you start with you best team and get your nose in front.
I believe CH is trying to protecting bobby is an excuse, Chris prefers work rate over quality because that fits with his defensive nature.
Bobby is not all about goals but he will nick em and create them and retain the ball, so I say start him and keep him in form.

Dec 29, 2011
I have surpassed 35, I played to 35 myself so I know how missing a few games at that age brings on the rust, in the championship I believe the rust must not get hold or you will be exposed and be second best. I don't get the argument with protecting him against injury a accident/injury can happen in a second, Solly for example.
However in the perfect world save bobby to the business end as you say and bobby is a big game player, but in reality we need him for as many minutes on that green stuff that he can be effective and to my mind you start with you best team and get your nose in front.
I believe CH is trying to protecting bobby is an excuse, Chris prefers work rate over quality because that fits with his defensive nature.
Bobby is not all about goals but he will nick em and create them and retain the ball, so I say start him and keep him in form.

When Zamora plays we're more defensive because we know we can knock the ball up to him and it'll stick. He's great at bringing other players into the game and holding up play and this relieves pressure on our defence at tricky times. I can think offer than one occasion where Zamoras been subbed off and we're suddenly under the cosh for the last 20 minutes as we have no outlet upfront. Saying Hughton doesn't want to give him minutes because he's a defensive-minded manager is tin foil hat territory IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here