Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That was woeful - if they had a striker on the pitch it would have been 4-0.

Oatway was back to his best in giving the ball away for first - Robinson was poor once more - time for ckr to get some starts as he and Jarrett changed the game.

Mcgees luck strikes again

Thanks for bringing that little bit of cheer into our lives.

No, I didn't go. Did you leave on the 90 minutes though and miss something? If you care about Brighton, aren't you happy we mugged them? :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No i was there till the end - yes im happy but the fact is that should not have been able top mug them - the teams luck will run out soon - play like that for much longer and a thumping will be on the cards

You've been on about McGhee's luck since 2003 :lolol:

Accept the fact that all teams win and draw ugly at times and you'll enjoy football a bit more :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
You've been on about McGhee's luck since 2003 :lolol:

Accept the fact that all teams win and draw ugly at times and you'll enjoy football a bit more :)

You really must be the only person on this board that thinks if they play like that they will stay up.

Not going to stick up for Oatway? Of course you cant really as half the nation saw him give the ball away for there goal and manage to break down almost every single brighton move

KinkyGoebels said:
You really must be the only person on this board that thinks if they play like that they will stay up.

Not going to stick up for Oatway? Of course you cant really as half the nation saw him give the ball away for there goal and manage to break down almost every single brighton move

You can bollock on about Oatway as much as you want - we all saw the game :) Yeah, he gave the ball away in that move, but of course the goal was nothing to do with all the other missed tackles afterwards, nothing to do with Henderson once again putting a rebound straight at an opposition striker's feet :p And of course Charlie was the ONLY Brighton player to lose possession all night, Hammond didn't do it countless times too (but you like him, of course, so you don't mention that :jester: )

There are two levels of football discussion on this board. People like you who are fond of discussing football through the language of fluent scapegoating of your least favourite players, (which for me is boring as f*** as I could write your posts for you even before you got in from Sheffield) - or a more intelligent level of discussion which attempts to introduce some kind of systems/tactical formation analysis into it. This for me is more interesting because it's more thoughtful and less headless-chicken-like.

For example, I agree with you that our midfield was below par tonight, but you have to ask yourself why Frutos and Hammond were no more effective than Oatway.

For me the breakthrough of what we did at Palace was that we got more ball-winners into the midfield and dispensed with the two-winger system. It made us far more compact and combative in midfield and strangled Palace's attempts to play.

Tonight, Oatway and Hammond were once again too isolated by the team's shape and the Weds players were able to bypass them too easily and find their own flank players too comfortably.

The truth is any two of Oatway, Carpenter, Hammond and Nicolas probably all aren't good enough to do all the hard jobs in midfield - they need help.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It's a SECRET PLAN to put teams at their EASE before they play us. So we can then hit them hard and fast before they realise you mustn't ignore an injured seagull as it can still peck your eyes out.

Or something.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Always a positive if you play shitty and mug a point away from home.
Sounded pretty kak on SCR and could have been a couple down by half time.
Sheff are scrapping for points too, so it was never going to be exabition stuff.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
London Irish said:
For me the breakthrough of what we did at Palace was that we got more ball-winners into the midfield and dispensed with the two-winger system. It made us far more compact and combative in midfield and strangled Palace's attempts to play.

LI, you forget that at Palace Carpenter came off after about 25 mins, to be replaced by Frutos. The midfield for the majority of the game on Tuesday was the same as last night. It could just have been "after the Lord Mayor's show", or it could have simply been that Palace played crap and Wednesday didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
Did you go?

you didnt have to pay 18 quid for that SHIT

Yet when England play shite and get away with it, it's all about "doing a job". Be consistant in you criticism at least. Shite is shite, you cant, as you seem to do, differentiate. :smokin:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
garry nelsons left foot said:
Surely it's a positive if you can play shite and still pick up points away from home?

Exactly. We have never won at Hillsborough and considering the last two games we played there, they nicked the points off of us in the dying minutes I thought it was good.
It also shows that we weren't going to lay down and die when 1-0 down but fight through to the end.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yorkie said:
Exactly. We have never won at Hillsborough and considering the last two games we played there, they nicked the points off of us in the dying minutes I thought it was good.
It also shows that we weren't going to lay down and die when 1-0 down but fight through to the end.

What Yorkie said. We battled up until the final whistle - yes, we should really have been two or three down by then, but we kept on at them and punished their poor finishing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Yet when England play shite and get away with it, it's all about "doing a job". Be consistant in you criticism at least. Shite is shite, you cant, as you seem to do, differentiate. :smokin:

What like you do?

stratford seagull

Jul 30, 2003
Swindon
Can't be bothered to go through all the posts on last night's game, but here's what I thought on the way home ...
1. After a dodgy first 10 minutes, we were pretty comfortable in the first half - and started the second half well too, but for all our possession/corners etc we never really looked like scoring. I don't know how we turn our play into goals, although there seemed a couple of dodgy offside decisions against us when we'd worked good positions, and Albert did well when he came on.
2. Wednesday looked an ok team, with two good wide players in Eagles and Brunt who were quick and really stretched the game wide which, especially when we were chasing the game, caused problems. However, they only really had 2 or 3 good chances and we kept going for the whole game even though things weren't going well.
3. I would imagine Oatway got some stick on here, but he covered a lot of ground last night and was forever encouraging the whole team. It's easy to pick on him because he's not the most talented/skilful guy around but if ever there was an example of a someone who has worked hard to improve his game, it's Charlie - and, despite being given the runaround at times, he still played Jarrett in towards the end, he still blocked shots and got his foot in. We'd all love Lampard in the team, but this guy is a credit to his profession and the club - and I'd love to see him still with us when we get Falmer.
4. One of their best chances in the second half came after the ref had pulled aside McShane and then let them take a quick free kick - unbelievable.
5. What was Tank doing having that shot in the first half, ruining our %age of shots on target stat?
6. It is going to be another struggle this season, but no team is going to out-battle us and that's why we picked up the point last night.

A for effort, but perhaps a bit more quality on Saturday will bring us another 3 points.

:bhasign:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Played shit 1st half, second was a marked improvement I thought.

Got a point. I'll take that, but we have to start winning our home games NOW.

I think we will beat the Switch though, so we will all be happy as larry on Saturday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here