Just got back from Swansea.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No complaints about the scoreline tonight, the match showed up the gulf in class between the Championship and League 1 and will hopefully show our brave lads what they should be aspiring to.

We were very disjointed tonight, I think the players, to a man, will be dissappointed and frustrated by their performances. The positives were very hard to find, Kuipers kicked well off the ground, and Whing put in a shift. Jake Wright will be reassured with the thought that he won't face a better winger than Nathan Dyer this season, JW would undoubtedly have been sent off had he not been substituted at half time. The centre halves need to improve their distribution, the midfield need to improve their body positions when they recieve the ball, too often they were bumped off the ball by the first contact before they were able to pass it on. The forwards need to try and be more mobile, it was very static at times.

I would have liked to see the aggressive running of Craig Davies (if he's fit?) against the ageing Monk, instead of Murray who, if he wants to move clubs needs to do more than go through the motions (his body language was very poor, it screamed of not giving a shit for the ten minutes he was on the pitch).

The good news is I'm sure we will improve, we have the players and a fine manager....but it may take some time if tonight is anything to go by, I hope our support can remain patient.

Finally, hats off to the 100 or so up from Brighton, especially the vocal lads up the back of the stand:bowdown:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Good review, thanks. And to those who where singing..we heard you on the radio.
Its a shame about Murray. Only 3 weeks or so until the transfer window shuts so we will need to sell him sharpish.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks for that top slice of reportage Sir! Sounded like we were thoroughly outclassed on the radio, so it's no great suprise to here your first-hand account. Well done to you & the other gallant ton who went tonight - I reckon you all deserve medals, quite honestly. Like you, I hope the majority of the Albion faithful remain patience, but I fear the trigger fingers will be getting very itchy very quickly. Here's hoping for better things at Brentford, eh? UTA.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Sounds like we were beaten by a far better team - any ratings you can give on the players just to get an idea on if anyone did have glimpses of being good?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
No complaints about the scoreline tonight, the match showed up the gulf in class between the Championship and League 1 and will hopefully show our brave lads what they should be aspiring to.

We were very disjointed tonight, I think the players, to a man, will be dissappointed and frustrated by their performances. The positives were very hard to find, Kuipers kicked well off the ground, and Whing put in a shift. Jake Wright will be reassured with the thought that he won't face a better winger than Nathan Dyer this season, JW would undoubtedly have been sent off had he not been substituted at half time. The centre halves need to improve their distribution, the midfield need to improve their body positions when they recieve the ball, too often they were bumped off the ball by the first contact before they were able to pass it on. The forwards need to try and be more mobile, it was very static at times.

I would have liked to see the aggressive running of Craig Davies (if he's fit?) against the ageing Monk, instead of Murray who, if he wants to move clubs needs to do more than go through the motions (his body language was very poor, it screamed of not giving a shit for the ten minutes he was on the pitch).

The good news is I'm sure we will improve, we have the players and a fine manager....but it may take some time if tonight is anything to go by, I hope our support can remain patient.

Finally, hats off to the 100 or so up from Brighton, especially the vocal lads up the back of the stand:bowdown:

The man speaketh sense.

A reasoned, well thought out and qualified match report there. Surely not a modicum of sense creeping on to NSC at long last.

Will hope for a similar performance after Brentford.

Top work.

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009

not one shot on target ??? apalling if you ask me

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
My ratings:

Kuipers - 5 - Few decent saves, helpless for 2 of the goals.

Whing - 4 - Looks a shadow of the player he was last season, got raped by the right winger in the 2nd half.
Elphick - 5 - Didn't notice him that much to be honest.
Virgo - 5 - Hoofball in the 2nd half, didn't do anything spectacularly bad.
Wright 3 - Couldn't handle Dyer, and looked like getting sent off. Out of his depth.

Crofts - 4 - I thought he was pretty anonymous the first half before being subbed.
Navarro - 4 - I thought he looked crap against Walsall, and looked even worse last night.
Thornhill - 4 - Slightly worse than Navarro which is why he was subbed, bring back Dicker please.
Cox - 6 - Looked lively, and wanted to get on the ball. Pick of the midfielders (Although that wasn't hard)

Dickinson - 4 - Still looks like pretty lightweight, did sod all.
Forster - 5 - Had a few half chances, plenty of effort.

Subs:
Wright - 5 - Threatened at times, didn't get the ball enough.
El-Abd - 4 - You know things are bad when he is forced to play in defence.
Murray - 5 - One teasing run towards the end, didn't have too long to impact on the game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

:thumbsup:

I didn't see the game last night, but i would argue that Navarro had a fair game against Walsall and that Dikinson had a good game (I had him as my Brighton MoM). Oh well, football is a game of opinions.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
My ratings:

Whing - 4 - Looks a shadow of the player he was last season, got raped by the right winger in the 2nd half.
Elphick - 5 - Didn't notice him that much to be honest.
Virgo - 5 - Hoofball in the 2nd half, didn't do anything spectacularly bad.
Wright 3 - Couldn't handle Dyer, and looked like getting sent off. Out of his depth.

Crofts - 4 - I thought he was pretty anonymous the first half before being subbed.
Navarro - 4 - I thought he looked crap against Walsall, and looked even worse last night.
Thornhill - 4 - Slightly worse than Navarro which is why he was subbed, bring back Dicker please.
Cox - 6 - Looked lively, and wanted to get on the ball. Pick of the midfielders (Although that wasn't hard)

Dickinson - 4 - Still looks like pretty lightweight, did sod all.
Forster - 5 - Had a few half chances, plenty of effort.

Subs:
Wright - 5 - Threatened at times, didn't get the ball enough.
El-Abd - 4 - You know things are bad when he is forced to play in defence.
Murray - 5 - One teasing run towards the end, didn't have too long to impact on the game.

Christ, that makes for depressing reading!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How did Garry Monk do just out of interest?
He had the cigars out (as John Byrne might say), we posed little attacking threat and he did what he had to do in a composed manner....would have liked to have seen Davies rough him up and get him turning.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Looks like only the names have been changed to protect the innocent! Is it groundhog day again?
This is Albion, what do we expect. It's some sort of virus players seem to catch here, Russell appears to have cut out the rot. Maybe the patient is in critical care? :down:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
My ratings:

Id say he couldnt really do much for any of the goals, if anything the defence let him down big time last night and that 3rd goal was a bit of class

That winger was by far the best player on the pitch last night and it showed, not whings fault he kept being done by him. I acctually thaught that moving Whing to left back to keep tabs on him was probably the best decision all night and Whing did miles better than Wright in the first half. Your right about the comparison with last season though.
QUOTE]

He had the cigars out (as John Byrne might say), we posed little attacking threat and he did what he had to do in a composed manner....would have liked to have seen Davies rough him up and get him turning.

Is that Craig Davies, ex Oldham Athletic?

Davies always gets a 'big' welcome at the Liberty because he's from Scumdiff. It would've livened up proceedings had he been fit that's for sure

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Is that Craig Davies, ex Oldham Athletic?

Davies always gets a 'big' welcome at the Liberty because he's from Scumdiff. It would've livened up proceedings had he been fit that's for sure

Yes ex-Oldham, thought he was born in England tho???

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Mr Bloom wants Brighton to be playing in the Championship by the time Falmer hosts it's first league match. Slade said that playing Swansea showed the gulf between !st division and Championship standards. Funny that he signed mostly players from outside the championship preseason. BIG NAME MANAGERS attract BIG NAME PLAYERS. Still too early in the season to call for changes at the top. Hope that RS succeeds

francisg1

Montone English
Jul 26, 2004
Cardiff
My ratings from last night for what its worth:

Kuipers 6 - Not really at fault for any goals, good save in the second half.

Whing 5 - Coped relatively well against Dyer in second half, but backs off way to much when people run at him.
Virgo 5 - Solid if unspectacular, distribution poor.
Elphick 6 - pick of the defenders, committed as ever and perhaps should have scored with first half header.
J Wright 4 - Struggled against Dyer and would have been sent off but for substitution. Still learning and will get better though.

Crofts 5 - Did ok if nothing special, passing from both central midfielders was woeful though.
Navarro 5 - As above. Got forward a bit more but to little effect.
Thornhill 5 - Never really got into the game.
Cox 6.5 - With Forster our best player. Tried hard, some ok crossing, brought down by rest of team performance.

Dickinson 5 - A couple of useful flicks, but gave the ball away a lot. No sights of goal.
Forster 6.5 - Commitment and passion, willing to run into channels but very little to work with.

Subs:
El Abd 6 - Did fine in the second half, kept Gower much quieter than Whing in 1st.
M Wright 5 - Looked good to start with but faded, got on the ball a lot and showed willing but not a lot of end product.
Murray 5 - One good run but the game was well gone by the point he came on. Argued with Forster a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports