Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got an air rifle - anyone else shoot on here?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
I couldn't give a crap about rabbits or squirrals and happily GOBBLE down most any meat that comes my way (including WHALE), but shooting animals for the sake of it just seems a bit retarded really.

I agree. That's why I said "So long as you intend to eat what you shoot".

It's like fishermen who throw back their catch! When I go fishing I want to eat what I get, that's the whole point for me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Minghawk said:
Rabbits and Rats can be killed humanely (single head shot) at about 30-50 yards with an air rifle shot by someone who knows what they are doing.
Even someone who knows what they're doing can't be guaranteed to make a kill every time. Vermin or not I personally would never have used an air rifle on live animals - and your first post about 'unlucky bunnies and squirrels' does rather come over as "woo hoo I'm going to kill things!"

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Paddy and my son shoot, Ming. I have a poor poor aim and kept missing so gave up.
They have a variety of rifles for different things, they shoot competitively with the HRA - really recommend joining your local one. They shoot live as well, pheasant, rabbit, woodcock, partridge etc. And vermin.

And trespassers ;-)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Starry said:
They shoot live as well, pheasant, rabbit, woodcock, partridge etc. And vermin.

Do they eat everything single thing they shoot?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Does it actually matter if you eat it or not?! The world is hardly going to miss two out of the hundereds of rabbits or whatever else populates the field behind my house, not that I actually shoot but find it a bit pathetic this whole "eat it or its totally wrong" attitude.

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
I am a member of local shooting club.

yes I agree Brovian, my first post did seem a bit 'gung-ho'
and I'm sorry for that

I don't kill things just for the sake of killing.
I don't mind the flaming I can take it :)

Whilst I share people's distaste for killing wildlife for pleasure, I have to confess to having once been a demon shot myself. This was something I discovered (or learned - I'm not quite sure which) when I lived in Italy - shooting at stationary targets.

I gave up when I returned to England. There are only so many teddy bears that a chap can be bothered to carry around the Palace Pier after an afternoon's success in the shooting galleries.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Lord Bracknell said:
Whilst I share people's distaste for killing wildlife for pleasure, I have to confess to having once been a demon shot myself. This was something I discovered (or learned - I'm not quite sure which) when I lived in Italy - shooting at stationary targets.

I gave up when I returned to England. There are only so many teddy bears that a chap can be bothered to carry around the Palace Pier after an afternoon's success in the shooting galleries.
So it was u Lord B who f***ed up the war for the germans in occupied ITALY;)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
sir danny cullip said:
Does it actually matter if you eat it or not?! The world is hardly going to miss two out of the hundereds of rabbits or whatever else populates the field behind my house, not that I actually shoot but find it a bit pathetic this whole "eat it or its totally wrong" attitude.

I find it a bit pathetic this whole "shoot it for fun" attitude...

Skeet shooting, clay pigeon shooting etc - great - if you want to shoot - go and aim for something that isn't alive... If you're going to shoot something for fun - best make sure you're going to eat it (or you live on the land and its a pest) othewise isn't it a bit unnecessary?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
sir danny cullip said:

I think it does. Taking the life of another animal it not something to be taken lightly. If you do, then it should be done for the right reasons.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is definitely a 10-pager in the making.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Rabbit, Wild Pigs,Water Buffalo,Kangaroos, Emus, Snakes, Crows iv'e shot em all.

Rabbits,Pigs and Crows are vermin they need to die.

Roos and Emus need the occasional cull or they breed so much they actually end up starving to death because there's not enough food around for them

Buffalo had to be shot as they carried TB.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lammy said:

In some respects he's right, assuming he lives on a station in the outack that is...

Rabbits were introduced to Australia and have been very destructive, as are pigs to wildlife and stocks...

Organised culls of these creatures is unfortunately necessary, same for kangaroos sometimes..

However if he's shooting them for fun - then its out of order and I think barbaric...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Lammy said:

Wild pigs/boars arent like the Pig from Charlottes web, they are vermin,disease carriers.

Rabbits aren't cute furry little animals they are destructive vermin, have you ever experienced a rabbit plague?
Seen the damage they can do to farming lands?

Crows are just crap and need to be shot so native birds have less competition for food.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I want to go to Cambodia where you can shoot a cow with a bazooka

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here