Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just been in a fight

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I am in deep shock and the only thing I can do is share it with NSC. Apologies if this goes into the ‘too much information’ type category.
Most Friday nights I travel the 3 miles from where I live to go to a brilliant real ale pub in St Helens, the Turks Head. I go by bus. I mean you can work out why; eh? Pub, real ale, alcohol, “would you mind blowing into this bag; sir?” Not worth the risk is it?
Anyway I have to say that the bus can be rough as f***. Chavs,scallys etc; most of who are not yet old enough to vote get on, pissed up to the hilt. It’s a right bun fight. Mostly when I come back (a respectable time; 21:30 – I’m a married man, over 50 with responsibilities, y’all) it’s OK.
Tonight it was different. People got on the bus, wouldn’t pay their fare, took the piss out of the bus driver. He had the bottle to make one of them get off. When we got to near my stop some of the bloke who got off’s mates decided they were going to have a go at the bus driver, threatening him, banging on the shield that protects him from assault, whatever.
Suddenly, after 50 years of docile middle class acquiesce, something inside of me snapped. It was my Michael Douglas moment. I went up and tried to push the main protagonist off the bus. He responded – as you would – by throwing a punch at me. You can guess the rest. God knows where my glasses went but I ended up bleeding from a punch which pushed my glasses back into my face and with a cut on my cheek and on my eyebrow. All I can say is that I landed at least one or two.
When I got home the stick I got was out of this world. I can’t say that any of it wasn’t justified. “Supposing they’d had a knife? Why didn’t you just ring the police? You are a father and a husband; we don’t want to be orphans or a widow!”
I can’t argue with any of that. I am shaking to buggery now. I am going to have to go to the police tomorrow a.m. - because I am an honest citizen – and tell them what happened. I don’t disagree with anything my loved ones said to me.
But – although I am no Charles Bronson – by any means, I am a right liberal lefty – there is a bit of me which is GLAD I made a stand. Why should innocent people who just want get a bus home at 21:30 in the evening have to put up with that kind of shit?
For the next week or two I am going to have to be scarce in the village in case I am recognised by my shiner! I don’t want anyone in my family to suffer because I made a stand. This sounds really melodramatic, I know, but – quite frankly – I think NSC is one of the few outlets I have to share this where people might understand. This isn’t posted in the hope that I’ll get lots of people saying “good on yer”. You may say “you fuckin’ twat; keep your head down in future”. Can’t say I disagree with you; and from now on its bike or taxi to the pub!
Sorry, had to get this off my chest. Really upset. I’ve experienced many a ‘barny’ at Albion games. Tottenham 79, Chelsea 83, and all I did was leg it and think ‘twats’ about the agro. Why now, why me? Off to bed now....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Good on you for trying to defend honest to goodness members of the public transport community from the loathsome oiks of the County Palatine.

I remember when I lived in Preston and went for a night out in Liverpool, catching the last, slow, two-carriage train home at about 11.05. A MASSIVE ruck broke out in the other carriage. I distinctly remember the plaintive, Scouse-accented cry of a little girl of about 12.

"Dad! Dad!" she wailed. "f***ing twat him, Dad!"

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
As Duke Nukem would put it: You've got "balls of steel" :jester:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Good on you for having the balls to stand up to the chavs. Can understand your family's point of view, but sometimes standing up for the greater good is more important, as if it were.

:clap:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
sorry if this is slightly incomprehensible. I have been in the public hostelreys for too much of tongiht.

I applaud you for the stance you made. There are far too many people that will listen to those stories about getting stabbed, killed or beaten to within an inch of your life. There are too many people thaat will turn a blind eye and not get involved. Thwe only way to stamp out this sort of behaviour is to challenge it head on. I applaud your bravery and wish that there were more people like you in our midst.

We have ignored the antagonists for too long. They need to realise that the every day citizen ill not stand for tat sort of behaviour.

Good on ya. :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well said, barrel.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just read it again and I've got to say I'm proud for some reason. Really big up your chest because sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and I really respect that.

DON'T FEEL BAD.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The thing you have to remember in situations like this is never listen to the opinion of a women. You did what had to be done when many wouldn't have. Respect.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Just read it again and I've got to say I'm proud for some reason. Really big up your chest because sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and I really respect that.

DON'T FEEL BAD.

What he said.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Top work - not sure I'd have been ballsy enough to have done the same thing in the same situation. These little turds need to be slapped back into place. If we all did what you did, the issue would be pretty much dealt with.

Sadly, their dole sucking parents would see it as an opportunity to bleed us for compensation and their skanky little mates wouldn't hesitate to take cowardly revenge on private property/pets/etc after dark.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
Sadly, their dole sucking parents would see it as an opportunity to bleed us for compensation and their skanky little mates wouldn't hesitate to take cowardly revenge on private property/pets/etc after dark.

worry the man why don't you ?!

i'm a placid bloke but i definately recognise one of those anger-snapping moments where you just can't stop getting involved. and then later on you think "what was i doing?" "i'm not like that at all" and you shit your pants.

hopefully, the lad learnt a lesson and perhaps you did too and you got away with it (relatively). you should definately be proud of what you did but i'd say keeping a low profile is a good idea ! and i bet you made the others on the bus think "well done" and put a bit of doubt into the hoolies.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
sorry if this is slightly incomprehensible. I have been in the public hostelreys for too much of tongiht.

I applaud you for the stance you made. There are far too many people that will listen to those stories about getting stabbed, killed or beaten to within an inch of your life. There are too many people thaat will turn a blind eye and not get involved. Thwe only way to stamp out this sort of behaviour is to challenge it head on. I applaud your bravery and wish that there were more people like you in our midst.

We have ignored the antagonists for too long. They need to realise that the every day citizen ill not stand for tat sort of behaviour.

Good on ya. :bowdown:

Perfectly put even with the slightly erratic spelling due to the 'hostelreys'.:lol:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Full respect, well done

Many years ago, back in the late 70s, i was walking home, past St Peters church, it was about 12.30 to 1.00am and across the road were this couple arguing like mad, i took no notice (i was with my best friend "Alcohol"!!) and there shouting became alot worse, all of a sudden this guy started laying into the girl, even my drunkeness would not allow that, so i ran across the road, pulled the guy around, twatted him, told him not to hit the girl, to which..........................she screamed...........(and i might add she had blood running down her face from where he had hit her).................DONT HIT MY HUSBAND YOU ***T.....and then she started hitting me and he got up and they both laid into me............ great eh :lol:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Admittedly you probably shouldn't have pushed him first and maybe just support the driver vocally and it probably wouldn't have gone any further. But you do go through life letting things slip, letting people get away with things and seeing little injustices pass you by and one day it's all got to come out focused on one little f***ing pikey who thinks he's invincible.

You shouldn't be as embarrassed as you sound. In fact f*** 'em, wear that black eye like a badge of honour because deep down you know you were doing the right thing. And if anyone says otherwise just f***ing TWAT 'EM!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

DON'T FEEL BAD.

Concentrate on that last point. You've done nothing wrong so don't feel bad about it in any way. I'll bet the idiots involved won't be - they'll be laughing about it.

While I sympathise with your wife's viewpoint, we can't all sit back and let behaviour like this be tolerated. Ask her if she'd like someone to intervene if one of your children was being intimidated. Be proud of yourself, I would be if I'd have done it. :)

:flameboun SCREAMING J :flameboun

:clap2: :cheers:punk:

You rock mate, good going old son.

I have no idea where St Helens is, otherwise I'd come with yer on one of these Friday jaunts, in case they try getting a 'crew' (once recovered from my op on Friday evening).

You are to be congratulated sir, wear your shiner with head held high!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
What did the bus driver, or any other passengers do? Did they check you were OK? Did the bus have CCTV?

I think the bus company should compensate you for your glasses.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well done mate.
I just wished there were more people like you. Then some of us older folk, may not have to cross the road just to avoid a mob of loud mouth yobs for self preservation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here