Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just because you have kids...................

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just Bumped this thread because exactly the same thing happened just in front of me this week and it completely changed my mind and reversed my opinion.
I caught the Brighton to Bristol Temple Meads train. Got a good seat with a table and settled down with my kindle. (Let me say here there were no reservation tickets any where in the carriage). By the time we got to Shoreham the carriage was full. As we arrived at Havant a middle aged couple got on and walked along checking the seat numbers eventually stopping at the pair of seats in front of me and telling the occupants to move as they had booked those seats. The two people did move although they were very pissed off and I couldn't help but think of this thread and even worse I think I'd have told them to get lost as it seemed very unfair to me. Those people had been in their seats from Brighton and chosen their seats in good faith with no knowledge of the problem to come. Buggered if I'd have moved.

Unless they had of coursed booked the seats and had evidence. I'd be pissed off if I took the time to reserve seats and others that didn't then chose to sit in them. Thing is, did they have any evidence they had reserved them?

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
How strange, I watched a tv programme today an they briefly spoke about this exact situation and apparently if you reserved a seat that you didn't get to use your entitled to compensation.
Was one of those mid morning bbc shows

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Unless they had of coursed booked the seats and had evidence. I'd be pissed off if I took the time to reserve seats and others that didn't then chose to sit in them. Thing is, did they have any evidence they had reserved them?

Yes they did. The thing is though, the couple sat down on empty seats in an almost empty carriage with no indication that the seats were booked further down the line. This means then that every passenger is sitting on a potential "time-bomb" and may be asked to move at any time. Clearly the train company is at fault here if the seats are not marked as reserved

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Yes they did. The thing is though, the couple sat down on empty seats in an almost empty carriage with no indication that the seats were booked further down the line. This means then that every passenger is sitting on a potential "time-bomb" and may be asked to move at any time. Clearly the train company is at fault here if the seats are not marked as reserved

I take the Brighton to Bristol train quite often and although they usually have the reservations marks on seats, there have been many occassions where they are missing. This starts a situation where the guard tells people in Brighton that there are no reservations and to sit anywhere. This causes masses of problems down the line as when people get on at other stats they inevitably look to sit in their "booked" seat. Difficult for all involved in that situation...some were asked to move and did, some were asked to move and cited the guard as the excuse, and some just found somewhere else to sit.

I take the Brighton to Bristol train quite often and although they usually have the reservations marks on seats, there have been many occassions where they are missing. This starts a situation where the guard tells people in Brighton that there are no reservations and to sit anywhere. This causes masses of problems down the line as when people get on at other stats they inevitably look to sit in their "booked" seat. Difficult for all involved in that situation...some were asked to move and did, some were asked to move and cited the guard as the excuse, and some just found somewhere else to sit.

This should be taken up with the train company.
It could be that the guard is just saying something for convenience sake, in which case he or she needs to be informed to not create problems. That a reservation happens, should be the train company's responsiblity to mark the seat so people know when and where the res will be taken up.
A person who has to rescind the seat to a reservation-customer probably has no rights over the situation at all, and the train company might be able to tell them that unfortunately. It has potential for causing problems.

As a lad I often mused over the idea of getting a commuter train with a First Class ticket, wearing holey jeans and a rock t-shirt, and plimsouls. Almost certainly a suit and tie-wearing plonker is bound to challenge "do you have a ticket for this compartment??" so I could tell them to mind their own business and I don't need to show them my ticket, and do THEY have a First Class ticket?
The idea was alright, but tbh I didn't care enough about it to spend the extra just to cause a fuss :lol:

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Lady: Frankly thats not my problem. I don't want you sitting near my children as you could be a paedophile.

Tell her you're not a paedophile, you're a rapist. Bet that will make her move sharpish!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As a lad I often mused over the idea of getting a commuter train with a First Class ticket, wearing holey jeans and a rock t-shirt, and plimsouls. Almost certainly a suit and tie-wearing plonker is bound to challenge "do you have a ticket for this compartment??" so I could tell them to mind their own business and I don't need to show them my ticket, and do THEY have a First Class ticket?
The idea was alright, but tbh I didn't care enough about it to spend the extra just to cause a fuss :lol:

I used to travel from Birmingham to London by train with work quite often and the company policy was to give me a first class ticket so that we could work on the journey. I regularly travelled in jeans and a t-shirt and often got questioned by a "suit". If I ever did deign to reply (not often) I simply said "none of your business" or "what do you think" and on a few occassions a guard suddenly appeared to check my ticket. Thankfully there are no dress rules on trains - indeed the only rules appear to be that if you pay for a seat you may or may not get one!*

I have to say that, much as I really enjoy train journeys, I would never travel a busy route/time other than in first class so if I'm paying for myself I go by car rather than put up with the inevitable misery :lol:

* and yes I know, the train companies say that you are paying for the journey NOT the seat - a cattle truck mentality that is a national disgrace and has rightly cost them market position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here