Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jury Service

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We got two week long trials. I say "we" because randomly from a pool of 50 in the room, 11 of the 12 from the first trial, formed part of the second jury.

An eclectic mix of Brighton/Sussex characters ... two 'hang em types' mind made up on seeing the defendants (they didn't brow-beat any of us), some touchy-feely types and assorted others.
No pitchforks then ???

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As Judges tend to be old school and Barristers will probably wear gowns and wigs, I would suggest smart/casual but no brand logos or funny captions on the shirt lol
Puts me in mind of a Punk Rockers funeral we had at Worthing Crem many years ago and one of the 'Young Ladies' attending was wearing a lapel badge which said "Eat my W*nk", went down a storm with the Vicar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't worry, there's bound to be some gobby know-it-all that will THRUST themselves forward for the role
well, ok, that was me.

I wasn't actually the foreman but we'd been 2 days of deliberating on quite a nasty case of affray against a young man in a bar that spilled out onto the street (with CCTV footage). We were getting nowhere because the allocated foreman, a pleasant but rather gentle chap in his 60s, wasn't really getting hold of things or directing anything. Everyone around the table was having their say on the case and the evidence, it was a proper debate, but each juror was constantly getting interrupted by the "yeah-buts", which meant we weren't really reaching any conclusions on many of the points, and just getting bogged down.

On the third day, on the bus on the way in, I decided to put my oar in from the off. That morning as we all sat down, I suggested that we go round the table and each juror put forward their thoughts, and their verdict on the case, and why - but without ANY interruption or debate from anyone else at the table. Everyone just "had the floor" for their time, to make their points and express their thoughts without being challenged.

Notes were made, chins were stroked and this seemed to free the logjam. After that it felt like we were getting somewhere. There was still debate of course, but we acquitted the guy that day 10-2 IIRC (a parameter set by the judge).

I'm not claiming to be a FONDA by any means, but sometimes, somebody just needs to take a grip.

[edit]
Good to see this thread again. Some very interesting stuff on peoples experiences.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Got lucky with the foreman in my two cases, we all voted and the guy we elected turned out to have been a colonel in the Army and had been on court martials (presumably from the judging side although we didn't ask). I quite enjoyed the whole experience.

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
Don't worry, there's bound to be some gobby know-it-all that will THRUST themselves forward for the role
You say that, but on my case no-one did, and nobody checked whether we had. Got through several days before the case was chucked out for lack of evidence.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened when the judge invited the foreman to render a verdict to be met with a stunning silence!

Contempt of court? I might have been writing this from an Australian pepper mine or somesuch!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was on a case where the foreman had a bout of nerves and when the judge asked if we had reached a decision on which we all agreed said “yes”. A few seconds of silence then a few of us said “no we haven’t” because we hadn’t!

There was a retrial (not because of the foreman’s error).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
well, ok, that was me.

I wasn't actually the foreman but we'd been 2 days of deliberating on quite a nasty case of affray against a young man in a bar that spilled out onto the street (with CCTV footage). We were getting nowhere because the allocated foreman, a pleasant but rather gentle chap in his 60s, wasn't really getting hold of things or directing anything. Everyone around the table was having their say on the case and the evidence, it was a proper debate, but each juror was constantly getting interrupted by the "yeah-buts", which meant we weren't really reaching any conclusions on many of the points, and just getting bogged down.

On the third day, on the bus on the way in, I decided to put my oar in from the off. That morning as we all sat down, I suggested that we go round the table and each juror put forward their thoughts, and their verdict on the case, and why - but without ANY interruption or debate from anyone else at the table. Everyone just "had the floor" for their time, to make their points and express their thoughts without being challenged.

Notes were made, chins were stroked and this seemed to free the logjam. After that it felt like we were getting somewhere. There was still debate of course, but we acquitted the guy that day 10-2 IIRC (a parameter set by the judge).

I'm not claiming to be a FONDA by any means, but sometimes, somebody just needs to take a grip.

[edit]
Good to see this thread again. Some very interesting stuff on peoples experiences.
Our very own Nick Easter 😉😉😂

IMG_0313.jpeg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Are you the boz boz? I don’t want to end up like a bloody piano dentist…

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
At the time I was on the longest ever running case at the court. Over 3 months. Tensions extremely high for everyone. Had to be escourted by police in and out via back doors and vary our route to/from court. Quite scary at first but became the norm. Was complex case with literally bundles of paperwork such as multiple phone records provided.

Felt like imprissonment in waiting room then decision time was back and forth trying to all agree. The accused (doz ppl you wouldnt wanna meet in dark alley) would stare you out in court. The female jurors were couple them freeked out. Was justice done im 99.9%certain, wasvery interesting case openedmy eyes to the underworld corruption poverty desperation greed etc.

What I will never forget are 2 things. Firstly one accused walks free I remember fighting to convince other jurors person was stitched up going home sleepless nights convinved im the end. I presented a case to the other jurors and eventually they too could see this. Person walked free. Im talking a real tough looking guy heavyweight boxer. Tensions had somehow reduced a bit when legal just summimg up and me and other jurors outside in sun and the guy just declared free to go slowly walks past, never seen anyone with muscles bulging like that. A little tear drips from his eye as he walks past. Nothing said. Nothing needed to be said.

Then few months later Im walking out of gents toilet at a football ground (not Amex) and he walks in. We clock each other both knowing who the other are. Felt really really strange as even years later I could descibe each very well if had to do a Police photo fit. Felt good knowing an innocemt person caught up in the web of deciet corruption violence manipulation gaslighting etc had got on with his life. Never forget him clocking looking at me. Think was his way saying thanks at least I would like to think so.

Because of the case and length judge gave all jurors a 10 year exemption from further serving. I might be back again soon but would hope to be ecempt not because it wasnt overall worthwhile experience just rather get on with life other things and most probably could relatively easily get off anyway. If anyone gets the opportunity never done before - grab it - its an experience cant think of anything else like it.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the time I was on the longest ever running case at the court. Over 3 months. Tensions extremely high for everyone. Had to be escourted by police in and out via back doors and vary our route to/from court. Quite scary at first but became the norm. Was complex case with literally bundles of paperwork such as multiple phone records provided.

Felt like imprissonment in waiting room then decision time was back and forth trying to all agree. The accused (doz ppl you wouldnt wanna meet in dark alley) would stare you out in court. The female jurors were couple them freeked out. Was justice done im 99.9%certain, wasvery interesting case openedmy eyes to the underworld corruption poverty desperation greed etc.

What I will never forget are 2 things. Firstly one accused walks free I remember fighting to convince other jurors person was stitched up going home sleepless nights convinved im the end. I presented a case to the other jurors and eventually they too could see this. Person walked free. Im talking a real tough looking guy heavyweight boxer. Tensions had somehow reduced a bit when legal just summimg up and me and other jurors outside in sun and the guy just declared free to go slowly walks past, never seen anyone with muscles bulging like that. A little tear drips from his eye as he walks past. Nothing said. Nothing needed to be said.

Then few months later Im walking out of gents toilet at a football ground (not Amex) and he walks in. We clock each other both knowing who the other are. Felt really really strange as even years later I could descibe each very well if had to do a Police photo fit. Felt good knowing an innocemt person caught up in the web of deciet corruption violence manipulation gaslighting etc had got on with his life. Never forget him clocking looking at me. Think was his way saying thanks at least I would like to think so.
When our first case had finished and we went back to the jury room after the (guilty) verdict, the little old lady who was clerk of the court came in……having obviously said nothing in 8 days relating to the case she walked through the door, stopped, and said ‘well you got that right, guilty as sin that one’.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
When our first case had finished and we went back to the jury room after the (guilty) verdict, the little old lady who was clerk of the court came in……having obviously said nothing in 8 days relating to the case she walked through the door, stopped, and said ‘well you got that right, guilty as sin that one’.
Yesh reminds me I had smaller cases where when you get told their previous history and wrong doing you certainly know you got the right verdict

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
well, ok, that was me.

[edit]
What an opportunity as you got to give your uninterrupted opinion......

"Well I think it was Colonal Mustard in the Kitchen with the candlestick"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here