Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jury Service

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Mine was just before Covid hit, down at Hove, got selected to be a potential on a very nasty case but wasn't shortlisted. saw another case which we returned a not guilty verdict on in a few hours (total waste of time, the CPS must have been smoking something they pinched off the lad in question) and got sent home for the 2nd week.

It was an incredibly inefficient use of mine and many others time tbh.

The most exciting part was my Fitbit being mistaken for an Apple watch which are outlawed and must be put in the box with mobile phones during deliberation.

There weren't even any MILFs or hotties to ogle during the downtime.

2/10 - disappointing and underwhelming

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep - I was 'lucky' in that I got selected on day 1 for a case that lasted 7 days, then almost immediately picked again for one they expected to last no more than 3 days so my two weeks was fully occupied. Some of the original group I was called up with only did the second case and were hanging around for a week and a half waiting (not being selected for other juries that started)

Similar for me, at Hove. I was selected first thing for a trial that took 4 days, given the Friday off. Second week, 11 of the first week’s jury including myself got selected within a new 12 for a second trial, what are the odds of that? The 11 largely got on very well, we lunched in Palmeira Square as it was gorgeous September weather.

Those not selected at all were allowed to go home for good half way through week 2.

To me it was an excellent system.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would love to be selected for jury service, which pretty much rules any chance I have of being selected I expect ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Similar for me, at Hove. I was selected first thing for a trial that took 4 days, given the Friday off. Second week, 11 of the first week’s jury including myself got selected within a new 12 for a second trial, what are the odds of that? The 11 largely got on very well, we lunched in Palmeira Square as it was gorgeous September weather.

Those not selected at all were allowed to go home for good half way through week 2.

To me it was an excellent system.
A few of us were having lunch after a fairly difficult morning…..in the restaurant across the road the defendant was also having lunch with his family who’d been at the trial from the start. He’d just finished being cross-examined by the (quite brilliant) CPS barrister (about a day and a half) - he was high-fiving his family, laughing and hugging everyone. Not sure why…..he was absolutely torn to pieces under examination. Couldn’t believe what we were seeing…….

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few of us were having lunch after a fairly difficult morning…..in the restaurant across the road the defendant was also having lunch with his family who’d been at the trial from the start. He’d just finished being cross-examined by the (quite brilliant) CPS barrister (about a day and a half) - he was high-fiving his family, laughing and hugging everyone. Not sure why…..he was absolutely torn to pieces under examination. Couldn’t believe what we were seeing…….

In Palmeira Square, awkward, we saw the defendant wandering around with presumably his family. A big 25 year old, quite intimidating. A few days later we found him guilty of GBH and he got 6 years. Throughout he had an ultra confident air.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would love to be selected for jury service, which pretty much rules any chance I have of being selected I expect ?
I would hate to be selected.
Mostly because I am self employed and would definitely lose money and turn down work from existing regular customers.
There must be plenty of people like yourself that want to be selected and lots that get selected but it inconveniences them.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
They have had plenty of time to call me up but to date have failed your honour. Would love to give it a go

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mostly because I am self employed and would definitely lose money and turn down work from existing regular customers.
There must be plenty of people like yourself that want to be selected and lots that get selected but it inconveniences them.
There is a way to stop yourself from getting called up but it has its own pitfalls - you have to be registered to vote to be called up. So next time you get that voter registration form don't complete it. Obviously you won't be able to vote ..... oh .... and liable to a fine !

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Me too , would have to fake an illness to be excused , there should at least be a daily attendance rate for SE people called up for jury service .

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There is a way to stop yourself from getting called up but it has its own pitfalls - you have to be registered to vote to be called up. So next time you get that voter registration form don't complete it. Obviously you won't be able to vote ..... oh .... and liable to a fine !
So, do they pick names randomly from the electoral roll?

I presume anyone with a criminal record would be unselectable?

Is there any other criteria they use to include / exclude juror selection?

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You can claim up to £64.95 per day. I can't imagine a mere tradesman would earn anywhere near that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, do they pick names randomly from the electoral roll?

I presume anyone with a criminal record would be unselectable?

Is there any other criteria they use to include / exclude juror selection?
Yes, random from the electoral roll. Exclusions include :
  • If you are currently on bail in criminal proceedings.
  • If you have ever been sentenced to imprisonment for five years or more.
  • If you have been imprisoned within the last 10 years.
  • If you're currently hospitalised or attending treatment for a mental illness

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, random from the electoral roll. Exclusions include :
  • If you are currently on bail in criminal proceedings.
  • If you have ever been sentenced to imprisonment for five years or more.
  • If you have been imprisoned within the last 10 years.
  • If you're currently hospitalised or attending treatment for a mental illness
When you look at that list, you do wonder why there isn't a fifth category:
  • Football supporters that have a big game coming up

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When you look at that list, you do wonder why there isn't a fifth category:
  • Football supporters that have a big game coming up
Indeed. You do wonder why Barber has not approached the judiciary for it's introduction. Barber out! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here