Jury Service - have you?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many times have you done Jury Servce?

• Never

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • Once

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Twice

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • More than twice

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Over 50 now and never been called up. If they don't want me, sod them.

:lol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Voted for none, but have been selected once.

I was excused doing it because of the job I was doing.

I did an armed robbery case and the guy and his dad were clearly guilty and they were sent down for 10 years or so.
What shocked me was that after the case finished and sentencing was done, we all left the courtroom together. The jury, the relatives and friends of the accused and victims.
I needed to put some eye drops into my eye for my Iritis and was heading for the toilets but then realised I was being followed by half a dozen friends of the guy we just sent down. I tried a divert and it was then very clear they were following me. I left the courthouse and legged it as fast as I could down Lewes High Street towards the train station. All I can remember was diving down through a small gate opposite the Lansdown pub and hid in some bushes. Fortunately they all went straight past towards the station entrance.
Never bricked it so much in my life.

I hope you reported that to the Police. Once you become a juror you are a protected species in the eyes of the law, any harassment at all can an often does result in custodial sentences.

Odd though, when I did mine at Lewes and the trial was over we, the jury, were led out of the courts via a back entrance and they put a screen up at the stairs to stop anyone seeing which way we'd gone.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Then I guess you just got lucky/unlucky (depending on how you want to look at it). Although I suppose whether you have a Crown Court located close to where you live could have a bearing on whether you get selected or not.

Why? Guy at work lives in London and had to go to do his in Liverpool for 3 weeks!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My Sister was selected for Jury service the same week she was supposed to be moving house. She turned up on the first day and was told that she wasn't needed.

I never have been selected.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Once a few years ago, lasted 10 weeks and I had a fantastic time. Late starts, early finishes, given lunch money, petrol money and parking money. Spent a lot of time just reading or doing puzzles in the Jury room, and had a few days off here and there for various reasons.

As it was quite a long case the judge said that if we were called up again in the next 10 years, we could refuse it. Think it's normally 2 years.

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
Done it twice. Once at Brighton and once at Lewes.

At the end of the second case at Brighton, the judge said he'd sum up, send us away, re-summarise the next morning and then send us out for our verdict. One juror said if he missed another days work he'd be out of a job. The judge asked the jury if we'd prefer to stay that night and as most had done two trials lasting about 15 days we said we'd stay. We were sent out at 4pm for our verdict to find we were split 6:6! We eventually left court 10pm at which point the juror who wanted to stay realised he'd left his dog in his car in a car park (for 8 hours!). God knows what he found when he got back to that car.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Never done it, would kind of like to though. Think it could be interesting, depending on what the case is.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was selected several years ago. Wanted to do "My bit". Very disappointing.

First case was a rape case in Hove. I was one of the two not selected in the lottery draw. I was sent home.

A couple of days later, I was sent to Brighton. A lot of hanging around. A vital witness had not turned up. I was sent home.

I was then sent to Chichester. At the last moment, the defendant decided to plead guilty to stealing tools. He was an habitual offender. The judge brought us in to watch the sentencing as compensation for another wasted trip.

I was now into my second and final week. I was sent back to Hove. I was finally selected for a case. Whoopee. A guy in Crawley breaking the terms of his ASBO. Not the most exciting case but at last I was selected. During cross examination, the defendant let slip that he "Didn't want to go back to prison". We were sent out. We were then called back and the judge said that the defendant should not have told us of he had been to jail and ordered a retrial! (The guy was subsequently found guilty). I was sent home. That was the end of my Jury service.

I would be happy not to be selected again. I was just unlucky I guess. Mind you, there were some jurors who were into the FIFTH week of their case.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What with the "other thread" growing steadily, thought I'd ask the question.

I'm in my 50's now and never been asked to be a juror.
I've not got / never had a criminal record bar a couple of speeding / parking tickets over 30 years.
So why is it I've not been asked?

Has anyone been asked more than twice?
Has anyone been asked who also has a criminal record?

Just interested like .....

I was requested to do service at Hove in Dec 11, but I deferred it for a year. When they came back to me last Nov to report to Hove early Dec, I talked to them and got excused on health grounds.

Oh, and I'm just 50, that was the first time I'd been asked.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did a stint at Lewes about 10 years ago.

The first week was a bit dull, but did a couple of quick cases, one of which the defendant dropped himself in it during cross examination, which was quite funny.

Then got put on an attempted murder case which lasted about 10 days. The "victim" of the attempted murder threatened a couple of the jurors during the lunch break between us finding the defendant not guilty of the main charge but guilty of a lesser charge and the sentencing. We were all led out the back door for our own safety after the sentencing was done. The "victim" was also warned by the judge for shouting at the jury in the courtroom. He was a total bell-end!

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Did it last year. Had the same Judge that had sent down some of my best friends not long before, in fact they were still inside at the time. Still enjoyed myself though. One of the fellow jurors was an utter plank though he couldn't get his head around facts and gut instinct. Wanted to convict the accused purely because he looked a bit shady.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can defer it pretty easily - if it's inconvenient for work, etc.

Deferring it is not the same as turning it down. My ex colleague once tried to get out of it, because she told them she was married to a policeman, but that wasn't sufficient for her to be ineligible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports