Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

June 16th - Sussex Day ?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I was alerted to this by one of my friends on Facebook:-

It's June 16 - which means it is Sussex Day From The Argus)

I'm all for a Sussex Day ( I think..) but why June 16th? And I haven't really picked up any big celebrations about it.

Some of the comments under the Argus article on their web site are quite amusing!

Apologies if fixtures - although I have used the search function to check.

What do people think of this idea - has it got legs? I notice its allegedly been 'popular' since ....err....2007

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Sussex Day my arse. I would have supported an 'East Sussex Day'. West Sussex can go and f*** itself.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tremendous idea which I like a lot, but why the f*** don't they publicise it. Never heard of it.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
It's an idea being pushed by West Sussex County Council.

West Sussex County Council: Sussex Day

Well, that don't impress me much. And I haven't seen much pushing. Usually these council led things are doomed to failure. And if E Sussex Co. Council aren't doing it as well.....

And I don't buy this 'there's no such thing as Sussex' argument:-

• Do "we sing Good Old West (or East) Sussex by the Sea"? We do not.
  • Is our Cricket Club called "East Sussex County Cricket Club" or "West Sussex Cricket Club"? It is not.
  • Was the Royal Sussex Regiment called the "Royal East Sussex Regiment" or the "Royal West Sussex Regiment"? It was not.

I refuse to have my County split in half purely because it suits the administrative convenience of Local Government. And they keep moving the boundaries. Anyone in the North Stand in 1973 from Haywards Heath would have been singing "East Sussex, la-la-la" but in 1975 would have had to sing "West Sussex, la-la-la". That shows you how artificial it is.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
It was in East Sussex as well as. For a couple of hours in Crowborough they had morris dancers and a few other things, although it seemed a bit of no show to be honest.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Well, that don't impress me much. And I haven't seen much pushing. Usually these council led things are doomed to failure. And if E Sussex Co. Council aren't doing it as well.....

And I don't buy this 'there's no such thing as Sussex' argument:-

• Do "we sing Good Old West (or East) Sussex by the Sea"? We do not.
  • Is our Cricket Club called "East Sussex County Cricket Club" or "West Sussex Cricket Club"? It is not.
  • Was the Royal Sussex Regiment called the "Royal East Sussex Regiment" or the "Royal West Sussex Regiment"? It was not.

I refuse to have my County split in half purely because it suits the administrative convenience of Local Government. And they keep moving the boundaries. Anyone in the North Stand in 1973 from Haywards Heath would have been singing "East Sussex, la-la-la" but in 1975 would have had to sing "West Sussex, la-la-la". That shows you how artificial it is.

But haven't we been cut in two since the 12th century?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here