Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junctions that wind you up

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The A27 Kingston roundabout at night, the trafiic from Brighton only has enough time to travel about 200 yards at the speed limit of 50mph approaching this roundabout before the green light turns red again only to remain red for about 3 times as long as it was green and usually there is no traffic going around the roundabout from any other direction.

I frequently come through there at about 22:45 and it drives me MAD that I'm sitting at a red light. There's other places where the lights are only operative at certain times, why can't the council/highways agency do it there ?

Also the A27 westbound at the Beddingham roundabout. It splits into three lanes, one to go left and two to go straight on but the straight on bit goes back to one lane 10 yards after the roundabout when the lanes from Polegate and Newhaven. You get knobbers going up the outside only to have to try and get back in.

seafordtillidie

May 26, 2011
How about the bridge at the Golden Galleon on the A259. Traffic travelling east has priority over the single lane bridge leaving queues ofter heading back up the hill at Exceat. Simple solution - TRAFFIC LIGHTS please. And the same goes for Alfriston where you often have to go up on the pavement to go through the village, surely something can be done.

Agree about the lights at the Kingston roundabout on the A27. I've travelled down there at 3.00 in the morning, the only vehicle on the road and as I aproach the roundabout I see the lights are red. They change as I get closer but amazingly as soon as I get there they change back to red. Only been green for about 10 seconds then stay at red for a minute or so. Absulutely crazy, a simple solution is to only turn them on at rush hour please.

Oh and almost any roundabout. What do they teach people in driving schools nowadays, stop on the entrance and wait until every other car has gone. As far as I'm aware you give way to traffic from the right, not to traffic on the other side of the roundabout. Is it that difficult to grasp? I guess it's all about observation and understanding how the thing works but it amazes me how many people don't have a clue!!

Rant over

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Drucilla's roundabout .............does anyone actually indicate

seafordtillidie

May 26, 2011
I frequently come through there at about 22:45 and it drives me MAD that I'm sitting at a red light. There's other places where the lights are only operative at certain times, why can't the council/highways agency do it there ?

Also the A27 westbound at the Beddingham roundabout. It splits into three lanes, one to go left and two to go straight on but the straight on bit goes back to one lane 10 yards after the roundabout when the lanes from Polegate and Newhaven. You get knobbers going up the outside only to have to try and get back in.

Agree with this but the junction is so much better since the little by-pass for traffic on the A26 travelling west, and the same at Southerham where traffic going straight on just slips past the roundabout. Is this not what they should have done for the traffic coming from Lewes heading East. All they had to do was widen the exit back onto the A27 a little and this would have cut down on much of the queues?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Any junction or roundabout that has either the yellow grids or 'Keep Clear' in huge letters that inconsiderate or terminally stupid drivers choose to ignore which means nobody can move until they do. F*cking idiots are so scared that another car might be able to move while they can't. Leave junctions clear you twunts. Rant over.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How about the bridge at the Golden Galleon on the A259. Traffic travelling east has priority over the single lane bridge leaving queues ofter heading back up the hill at Exceat. Simple solution - TRAFFIC LIGHTS please. And the same goes for Alfriston where you often have to go up on the pavement to go through the village, surely something can be done.

Agree with this, I went east along there at about midday on a Saturday a few weeks ago and the queue going west must have been a mile long. It was almost as painful for me as I was following an old bloke doing a consistent 25mph and insisting on stopping and letting about 30 cars through.

Oh and almost any roundabout. What do they teach people in driving schools nowadays, stop on the entrance and wait until every other car has gone. As far as I'm aware you give way to traffic from the right, not to traffic on the other side of the roundabout. Is it that difficult to grasp? I guess it's all about observation and understanding how the thing works but it amazes me how many people don't have a clue!!

What REALLY annoys me is when you're approaching a roundabout and there is clearly no traffic coming from the right, yet the person in front decides to come to a complete stop before pulling on to the roundabout.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
mines the junction in Hove where going south down Olive Road it meets Portland Road , on my route to work in the mornings you can be 20 to 30 cars back before getting your slim chance of turning into Portland Road straight away ! arghhhhh :rant:

Always thought a mini roundabout would make a difference there.

Sackville road junction with Blatchington Road is a shambles.

Again, a series of roundabouts down Sackville Road, at the Old Shoreham Road, Portland Road, Blatchington Road, Church Road and the Kingsway at the bottom of Hove Street would do a good job.

Every time a set of traffic lights are not working, drivers tend to be courteous and the traffic flows smoothly without them, so roundabouts are the way forward in a lot of cases, with Pelican crossings inbetween to stagger the traffic.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How about the bridge at the Golden Galleon on the A259. Traffic travelling east has priority over the single lane bridge leaving queues ofter heading back up the hill at Exceat. Simple solution - TRAFFIC LIGHTS please.

They replaced the bridge a few years ago, replacing an old narrow bridge that caused bottlenecks with a new narrow bridge that causes bottlenecks. How difficult would it have been to have put in a slightly wider bridge so that traffic only has to give way to buses/lorries.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The junction by the station where the taxis & busses go through is a total shambles now, the changed it for whatever reason and the lights go red for about 5 seconds before switching back, I think they forget that being by a BUSY station hoards of people want to cross the road at once. A matter of time before somebody gets mowed down.

I think in general the roads around Brighton have got progressively worse in the last few years. Despite 'improvements'.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Any junction where a f**king van is blocking your right so you cant see any oncoming traffic - especially when you do attempt to slowly move out, a speeding taxi nearly takes the front of your car off !!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
A27 roundabout near the Cuilfail tunnel where the 2 lanes of traffic from Brighton meets the lane of traffic leaving Lewes and tries to go onto Eastbourne. They built a bridge over the railway at Beddingham a few years ago and 'improved the layout at this roundabout' but still failed to sort this junction out properly and it's still a major bottleneck at various times of the day and can lead to traffic queuing back into Lewes so car users go through the town instead of using the by-pass as well as hindering those who want to turn right onto the A27 (towards Brighton) from Lewes only to find cars blocking the way as they all fight to get across the roundabout and into the single lane for Eastbourne (golden opportunity missed to sort this out properly a few years ago)

The A27 Kingston roundabout at night, the trafiic from Brighton only has enough time to travel about 200 yards at the speed limit of 50mph approaching this roundabout before the green light turns red again only to remain red for about 3 times as long as it was green and usually there is no traffic going around the roundabout from any other direction.

Earwig corner, Lewes - Should have been a roundabout for the last few decades and this bottleneck hasn't been addressed and leads to trafiic queuing a long way back into the town around rush hour. (usually joining up with the traffic queuing to go out through the Cuilfail tunnel as above)

Obeying the speed limit of 20mph in Brighton along the Lewes road (either direction) often means that if you hit one red light that you will hit them all as you head along that stretch. It appears that they weren't adjusted from when the speed limit was 30mph and all this does is increase the carbon footprint because of cars stopping and accellerating again from these lights when they should be able to go along at a near constant speed.

The light sequencing again, but this time from the 7 dials down to London Road and beyond just backs up the traffic and doesn't let cars, etc move forward to clear space for more cars when the lights change to green as the cars ahead can't progress because they are stopped at a red light. The first light goes back to red and you're lucky if one car has made it through the lights under the railway bridge

Get out of my head! Very much all of these! Oh and Fiveways especially around school kicking out time.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Junction 7 of the M6, it is bloody lethal. You are trying to get to the outside lane, to get off at your exit, meanwhile traffic is feeding into the outside lane and, usually trying to get to the inside lane for their exit. It is basically a roundabout with lanes coming in and out on the inside and outside, requiring traffic to cross in the process.

How there aren't many, many more accidents there is beyond me.

14yan9i.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Slip road off A27 Eastbound up to roundabout at the Dyke. It's almost blind pulling out onto the roundabout, while cars heading from brighton try to come round the roundabout 2 abreast,

Point of order - that roundabout IS two lanes and both can be used to turn right onto the A27.

My hate junction is Sackville Road going south from the greyhound stadium and crossing the Old Shoreham Road. I'd love to meet the moron who changed the left hand lane to left turn only thus causing huge tailbacks to Waitrose.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The A270 junction at the east end of the bypass. How difficult would it have been to include some east facing slip roads, so one doesn't have to go up to the Falmer junction, with all the queues on the slip road, or face crawling down Coldean Lane or Hollingdean Road when trying to get to Mithras or Watts/Cockroft when coming from the A23? Okay, I know the Amex wasn't even on anyone's mind at the time the bypass was built, but surely it would be more convenient for traffic coming from the west and wanting Lewes Road destinations such as the universities, Woodvale Cemetery/Crematorium, etc, not to have to go through residential parts of Brighton? Thinking about it, the west end is equally rubbish, though at least you have the Hangleton Link Road to get to Portslade and Southwick.

If anyone is interested, the A23/A27 junction features on this site: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/

Up my way, it winds me up that when they built Junction 10A (B2036) on the M23, they didn't put in a northbound exit/southbound entry slip road. Traffic from Sharpthorne/West Hoathly, Ardingly, Turners Hill, etc, could avoid having to go to Handcross to join the A23 southbound, or going the long way round to the M23 at Copthorne. I can think of numerous examples on local roads up here too - whoever designed the one-way system on the A22 at East Grinstead really does need his/her head examining. Other brutes are the B2028/Selsfield Road junction at Selsfield Common. The majority of traffic to/from Turners Hill turns off through West Hoathly, rather than carrying on down the B2028 yet it has priority (true it's reversed somewhat at weekends owing to Wakehurst Place and Ardingly Showground), and Tyes Cross, just east of Sharpthorne, where traffic races along, forgetting that there are two side turns within a very close distance of each other.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Where Shirley Drive meets Old Shoreham Road, so many f*cking cocksuckers block the junction they need to paint one of those yellow boxes on the deck.

Used to drive in the mornings up the opposite way, so from The Drive across OSR and up Shirley Drive. Was always amusing seeing the drivers that block people trying to go down from Shirley Drive sink lower and lower in their seat as they realised they were holding everyone up.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the dreaded Holmbush Roundabout Shoreham. Since they cocked up the lanes layout about a year ago it is a hazardous ride through it, where you need your wits about you. It has so many crossover lanes. As I live yards from it I can testify by the number of horns bellowing from irate motorists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here