Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I can't say I felt "wow, this is the new Lionel Messi" exactly. Most of his finishes were so-so, he controlled the ball more with willpower than with skill and generally his best contribution was to annoy the shit out of the Chelsea players. Very, very Neal Maupay... which is very impressive - he could have easily just played for himself trying to find spaces and do some dribbling or something, but no, he got straight into it and showed a lot of determination and desire. Wasn't just happy to be there, but actually wanted to make an impact.

Think he has a long way to go before he's challenging for a place in the starting eleven but guessing we'll see more of him now. Could be a raw diamond this one.
Maybe - surprise surprise - the club knew what it was doing when it didn't bring in yet another striker.
I think the fact that he hit the two shots before Gross got the rebound, with each foot and with more power, than any shot I saw Maupay hit in his time with us is totally opposite to your view.
I think he will go on to be a regular scorer when he plays. He is only 18

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So, I make it he had three shots. All well struck, all on target and none of them, the Chelsea keeper (who've i've heard hailed as one of the world's best) could do more than parry into a central position.

None of the them looked like scoring ... but as many have been saying for years .... if you just get your shot off, you get a proper connection and you don't balloon it ... then **** happens on a football pitch. That 4th goal wasn't lucky, that was Enciso pummelling that keeper into submission. Well done young man

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Encisco was one of five South American internationals to play for us yesterday. In Alzate we have a sixth out on loan and there are reports of another on the way. Three of the five were signed from clubs in South America. I've had a browse through Transfermarkt and no other EPL club has more than one player signed directly from S. America, and they are generally for big money from top Brazilian or Argentinian teams. E.g. Alvrez and Willian. Most teams in the EPL have nobody signed directly from that continent. If Winstanley goes to Chelsea, we'll be needing all of our contacts over there to delete him and change their phone numbers whilst he's on gardening leave.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Encisco was one of five South American internationals to play for us yesterday. In Alzate we have a sixth out on loan and there are reports of another on the way. Three of the five were signed from clubs in South America. I've had a browse through Transfermarkt and no other EPL club has more than one player signed directly from S. America, and they are generally for big money from top Brazilian or Argentinian teams. E.g. Alvrez and Willian. Most teams in the EPL have nobody signed directly from that continent. If Winstanley goes to Chelsea, we'll be needing all of our contacts over there to delete him and change their phone numbers whilst he's on gardening leave.
Have you a link to the ‘reports’

Thanks

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Ashworth as well. Folks have said that Newcastle and Chelsea will be fishing in different ponds to us but there's a very good chance that they will be competing with us soon. It's a model that makes so much sense, especially when they can see that splurging huge money on established players often doesn't work.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can't say I felt "wow, this is the new Lionel Messi" exactly. Most of his finishes were so-so, he controlled the ball more with willpower than with skill and generally his best contribution was to annoy the shit out of the Chelsea players. Very, very Neal Maupay... which is very impressive - he could have easily just played for himself trying to find spaces and do some dribbling or something, but no, he got straight into it and showed a lot of determination and desire. Wasn't just happy to be there, but actually wanted to make an impact.

Think he has a long way to go before he's challenging for a place in the starting eleven but guessing we'll see more of him now. Could be a raw diamond this one.
Maybe - surprise surprise - the club knew what it was doing when it didn't bring in yet another striker.
Been in most of Roberto’s match day squads and if I recall correctly featured in hardly any if at all in GP’S …..young Ferguson hasn’t been in any of Roberto’s to date

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ashworth as well. Folks have said that Newcastle and Chelsea will be fishing in different ponds to us but there's a very good chance that they will be competing with us soon. It's a model that makes so much sense, especially when they can see that splurging huge money on established players often doesn't work.
I hope we will be fishing in the Italian pond soon...a couple of skillful and passionate Italians would be great!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not so sure our signings generate a response nationally
I disagree. You don't introduce players like Bissouma, Cucurella, Caicedo, Lamptey, Sanchez, Mwepu, Mac Allister and Mitoma to the Premier League without people taking notice. We might not get much publicity but most people now know us as a club with a phenomenal track record for recruitment.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Winstanley goes to Chelsea, we'll be needing all of our contacts over there to delete him and change their phone numbers whilst he's on gardening leave.
With all these signings we must surely have good contacts there now regardless. Even if Winstanley starts sniffing for Chelsea, is that a natural move for the 'next big thing'? We have the advantage now that there is a proven pathway into the first team and potentially on to great things at the right time as a better player. Some will go for the 'big club' lure. Others will get better advice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With all these signings we must surely have good contacts there now regardless. Even if Winstanley starts sniffing for Chelsea, is that a natural move for the 'next big thing'? We have the advantage now that there is a proven pathway into the first team and potentially on to great things at the right time as a better player. Some will go for the 'big club' lure. Others will get better advice.
We’ve got literally 100s of scouts. He’s replaceable. No drama.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
So, I make it he had three shots. All well struck, all on target and none of them, the Chelsea keeper (who've i've heard hailed as one of the world's best) could do more than parry into a central position.

None of the them looked like scoring ... but as many have been saying for years .... if you just get your shot off, you get a proper connection and you don't balloon it ... then **** happens on a football pitch. That 4th goal wasn't lucky, that was Enciso pummelling that keeper into submission. Well done young man
Exciting prospect - two footed, quick, aggressive, unpredictable. Can’t wait to see him again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We can point out that if they sign for Chelsea they won't get into the first team but will be sold to us (Lamptey, Gilmour) or loaned to us while they decide where to send them (Colwill).

We can probably start calling Chelsea our feeder club in all honesty. Best come straight to the real thing first.

Last edited:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Thought he made a good impact. Looks a decent player. On one occasion he didnt track back to defend and Mac Allister looked to give him some strong words, but other than that was very decent.
Mac Allister seemed to be having a pep talk with him after the game as the players clapped the crowd. Great to see him helping the younger players.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

I think weve copied a lot from Ajax

Their budget is similar to ours but look at how many great players they've produced over the years. And they were in really early with south American scouting, uncovering ballers like Anthony. It's a massive continent with gems to be found. Unfortunately I agree that clubs like Newcastle and Chelsea will be competing for the top talent now. Look at how quickly Ajax have fallen away after selling their best players and having nothing coming through on the conveyer belt.

Fascinated to see if some of our targets come off now , or will they all get poached ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think weve copied a lot from Ajax

Their budget is similar to ours but look at how many great players they've produced over the years. And they were in really early with south American scouting, uncovering ballers like Anthony. It's a massive continent with gems to be found. Unfortunately I agree that clubs like Newcastle and Chelsea will be competing for the top talent now. Look at how quickly Ajax have fallen away after selling their best players and having nothing coming through on the conveyer belt.

Fascinated to see if some of our targets come off now , or will they all get poached ?
Quite. Moneyball only works if you’re two steps ahead of the competition. This gets harder and harder as more clubs take notice of what the “successful model” is and try and emulate it.

For every Caicedo/Mitoma we have now, there needs to be two/three more in the pipeline - developing their way through via loans in competitive leagues and training with the first team squad. One of these “chances” might make it, most won’t. The losses are offset by the huge sales, and repeat.

As the market gets more crowded, these players will be harder to come by. This is where succession planning is king, to ensure we have the very best recruitment team possible for when Winstanley goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here