Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Julio Enciso - Paraguay’s new wonder kid (Signed 17/06/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Tim Vickery talking to JC

https://t.co/GAI3wJXOY3

An interesting interview, and quite a sobering one. Tim Vickery is not entirely confident about Enciso, suggesting he may get bullied off the ball in the PL. He used the word 'concerned' on more than one occasion, and alarmingly, he said he's more Billy Arce than Moises Caicedo. He even suggested Enciso would have been better to go to a big Argentinian club first to develop, rather than come straight to England.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An interesting interview, and quite a sobering one. Tim Vickery is not entirely confident about Enciso, suggesting he may get bullied off the ball in the PL. He used the word 'concerned' on more than one occasion, and alarmingly, he said he's more Billy Arce than Moises Caicedo. He even suggested Enciso would have been better to go to a big Argentinian club first to develop, rather than come straight to England.

At the moment ending up at Boca Juniors can't be ruled out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

From watching some Club Libertad in the spring (betting + I had a feeling this bloke might come around again) I think it is safe to say that he is no Billy Arce - already on a different level. That he could initially get bullied off the ball in the PL might have a lot more merit to it but the club will just have to bulk him up over the next year or two, like we saw with the similarly small statured Trossard.

Of course moving to Argentina could have helped his progress but I don't think the club want to sit around and wait for that. Once he has success in a club like Boca Juniors or River Plate, he is inaccessible for Brighton. If you want big talents from SA you can't wait until they're in the biggest SA teams because key players from those clubs are expensive and move to CL clubs, not to Brighton.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

It’s a huge ask to move from a league like that at barely 18. Even Caicedo who is older, more physical and had already been putting in worldies against Brazil needed time. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again- to be Paraguayan and competing in the Premier League would make him one of the greatest players their country has ever produced. Looks like we’ve got that sort of thing with Caicedo- the chances of doing it again are slim. Yes our scouts seem to be hitting more than missing but we won’t win them all. It’s gotta be worth the risk though.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tim Vickery talking to JC

https://t.co/GAI3wJXOY3

I hope people listen toi and take heed of this.

Main point being we've bought him on potential rather than reality at the moment. He has plent yof potential but he hasn't delivered yet. Vickery thinks an intermediate step to a big Argentinian club would have been better. He is worried that he will struggle to adapt and at the moment he is more at the Billy Arce end of the scale rather than Caicedo.

So with all that taken into consideration you'd hope that the fans are willing to give him the time he needs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What so he knows every last detail of the clubs transfer negotiations even as they’re ongoing? So you’re saying he is right there in the room with Bloom? And there’s no element of guesswork whatsoever?
Enlightening, thanks for that I didn’t realise

You said "Naylor is guessing, he’s not privy to Bloom or the agent’s requests (or demands as you’d put it)"
He reported some of the contract offers on the table, where things currently are, and the value of the deal and wouldn't have done unless his sources have told him. I've no idea who those sources are but i guess they are "privy". Its not guess work . Its reporting. You're implying he's making it up.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So with all that taken into consideration you'd hope that the fans are willing to give him the time he needs.

Come on man, you've been here long enough not to be spouting drivel like that.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
You said "Naylor is guessing, he’s not privy to Bloom or the agent’s requests (or demands as you’d put it)"
He reported some of the contract offers on the table, where things currently are, and the value of the deal and wouldn't have done unless his sources have told him. I've no idea who those sources are but i guess they are "privy". Its not guess work . Its reporting. You're implying he's making it up.

Of course he makes some stuff up! How naive are you? He’s famously made some wrong calls in the past when he’s made a guess. All sports journalists make “educated” guesses but they’re still guesses
That’s all I was saying- he’s not privy to every last detail so until a deal is closed some of the things being reported are also going to have an element of guesswork no matter how reliable a source they are

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Come on man, you've been here long enough not to be spouting drivel like that.

I know, I know. But the alternative was to go full [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and I didn't want to step on his toes so I went with hopeless optimism.

I'll sit in the corner and have a serious think about what I've done.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And it is easy tracable since pretty much whatever Naylor says, someone else (with real connections and inside knowledge) said it before him. In this case Libertad club president Di Tore who said that the contract will be between four and five years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And it is easy tracable since pretty much whatever Naylor says, someone else (with real connections and inside knowledge) said it before him. In this case Libertad club president Di Tore who said that the contract will be between four and five years.

Fount of all knowledge

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I understand Tim Vickery's points. Get them while they're young, still in Ecuador/Paraguay and therefore cheap but come with risk. Or you can wait until they've moved to Europe, made their reputation, and are therefore more expensive because they are less risky. For me, and thankfully for BHAFC, option A is more preferable.

But what you need with option A is time. Hence the 5 year contract. Time to acclimatise in a lesser league perhaps, and if necessary time to bulk up like Trossard as Swanny mentioned. We struck gold with Caicedo, who is the real deal. We didn't with Billy Arce, who wasn't a deal at all. You win some, you lose some

Let's all hope that Enciso turns out to be more Caicedo than Arce.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You have to ask, if that's the case, WTF is the lad (or his advisors) thinking? The length of the contract means nothing these days interms of moving in - the only difference is the price of the transfer related to the remaining length of the contract, which doesn't make much difference to the player.
Is he thinking of the riches of going on a free when his contract ends? - surely if he's that ambitious/driven he'll be looking to move on and up before his 4 years are up. And if he turns out to be a flop in Europe, he's better off sitting out five years of PL pay then four years.

FFS, of all that stands between him and a huge pay rise, setting himself up for life, and a huge chance of a glittering career in the PL is him wanting a four year deal not a five year one, then he must surely fail the 'No Dickheads' rule. Play hardball, Mr.Bloom!

if it makes no odds, why doesn't the club just say; fair enough, 4 yrs it is?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
He is being offered the chance of a lifetime, doubtless several thousand pounds a week, and he's quibbling over 4 or 5 years? Dickhead!

Five year contracts? Plenty of them (or four and a half year deals for mid season signings) - guessing off the top of my head - Locadia, Andone, Cucurella, Bissouma, Moder, Kozlowski, Undav, Mac Allister........

it's not a chance in a lifetime for him. he knows, if he stays fit, he will make a lot of money.

why upset yourself about this? we have no knowledge of the negotiations

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know, I know. But the alternative was to go full [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and I didn't want to step on his toes so I went with hopeless optimism.

I'll sit in the corner and have a serious think about what I've done.

Oi :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Stat! It's one of your forte's mocking the lack of patience of the fans. We kid because we love, right?

Ah no that's fair enough.
I thought you were going at me for being the opposite ie ultra pessimistic.

I doubt I'll even get the chance to booooo this kid, the moment he doesn't clap ME I'm offski.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

Have to confess I was hoping for more Caicedo level of excitement from PV, who is the best sports journalist around imo. But he is a lot younger. Sounds like a loan first year is most likely based on that.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I understand Tim Vickery's points. Get them while they're young, still in Ecuador/Paraguay and therefore cheap but come with risk. Or you can wait until they've moved to Europe, made their reputation, and are therefore more expensive because they are less risky. For me, and thankfully for BHAFC, option A is more preferable.

But what you need with option A is time. Hence the 5 year contract. Time to acclimatise in a lesser league perhaps, and if necessary time to bulk up like Trossard as Swanny mentioned. We struck gold with Caicedo, who is the real deal. We didn't with Billy Arce, who wasn't a deal at all. You win some, you lose some

Let's all hope that Enciso turns out to be more Caicedo than Arce.

Not unreasonable for him to take two seasons to become established in the squad, then a break-through season at which point - with a four year contract - if he's going to be good, we're either forced to cash in because he only has a year left on his contract, or take the final year of the deal and let him walk (as so many players do now). Five years gives us far more room for him to develop, and for us to get the benefits of having helped him mature AND have the opportunity to cash in on that development.

Feels to me like there is a really big difference between 4 and 5 years for a player this young and you can see whay both sides might be pushing hard for their preferred option in the agreement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here