Jules Bianchi

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Jul 7, 2003
Terrible, that's so much worse then I imagined it to be. #forzajules

Didn't expect that. I assumed he had skidded off sideways and much slower - not to be going so fast and hitting the JCB so hard it lifted off the ground. That he was not killed instantly is a miracle.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Just seen the full video.
The marshall WAS waving double yellows then for some reason changed to a green before Sutil's car had been cleared.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154698090610182
The waving of the green has dumbfounded me, either the marshal did his own thing, fed incorrect information to race control or race control jumped the gun. I bet it isnt the last option. The marshal was waving green even after the crash.

At least it happened at a fire and medical point with the medics already on scene (though they seemed utterly bewildered to start with). Can you imagine this happening in the far reaches of the back of spa?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The speed of that crash is so much faster than I was expecting. How he is still alive I don't know. Horrendous.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I raced for over 10 years and have a great appreciation for the work that [most] marshals do (one certainly saved my life a Brands Hatch in 1982).

Just a point of detail, flag marshals are trained [in the UK at least] to only watch the section of track beyond their post and not to look at what's coming towards them. In other words, a marshal post immediately before an incident will be on yellows and the one immediately after will signal green to let competitors know the "no overtaking" restriction is removed.

However, this incident appears to have happened almost directly underneath the marshal's post, so odd that it should not have waved green until the incident had been fully cleared.

The rule in general is that under yellows you back off a little - it states in the regs - "be prepared to stop" - but that might be a bit rigid. Soon as you see the green, its all hell for leather again. It is rare for a driver error off under yellows as generally no one is at 100%, never mind 101%.

Of course, mechanical failure or oil/fuel on the track can contribute, or maybe a river to aquaplane.

Whatever, a freak and very unfortunate accident. When you watch the full clip, the truck moves in to the path of Bianchi - if he had crashed 20 seconds earlier, he would have missed the truck.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Good grief. I'm lost for words that there's any chance he might survive that. Really unbelievable.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Obviously the first reaction to seeing the video is that it is truly extraordinary that he survived the incident at all - the speed was far greater than I had imagined but if he survives, it has saved his life by creating the force needed to lift the tractor enough for him to go underneath and take a blow rather than being decapitated.

The second is to wonder why on earth the marshall was waving a green flag with the tractor right next to him. Having said that, given the conditions I do wonder whether the drivers would have even seen a small flag like that - surely they would be reacting to a lighting system and would lose the flags completely in the spray and muck?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Longer version of the video from above can be seen here, including showing the marshall waving yellow until almost the moment of impact and being slow to change back from green to yellow again (was he unsighted and thought the tractor was behind a tyre wall and safe? hence the change to green?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b17_1412605388

Also you will see in the foreground a cameraman who films the crash too (possibly the Spanish tv pictures i referred too earlier in this thread) but it also looks like they may have caught the beginning of the off as well as the impact / aftermath - will these get released to explain what caused the off in the first place? It's not surprising they haven't been released (yet) seeing how horrific the crash actually was.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
There must have been scant consideration of any car running under one of these recovery tractors when the risk assessment was carried out. That'll surely change before the next race.
A horrific incident and one hopefully Bianchi will fully recover from.
"Luckily" the recovery tractor had a 700kg ish weight hanging from its extended boom as this would've effectively made its rear end lighter and easier to punt up into the air. I have no idea about the exact physics but having driven wheel loaders with buckets full of aggregate I know that you can get them to the point where the rear wheels will bounce up on uneven ground. This is thankfully a Caterpillar 910H wheel loader, only small and not with a huge amount of carrying capacity. Obvious statement coming up: Had it been a larger loader with the same car suspended then i think there would've been a more serious outcome.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Longer version of the video from above can be seen here, including showing the marshall waving yellow until almost the moment of impact and being slow to change back from green to yellow again (was he unsighted and thought the tractor was behind a tyre wall and safe? hence the change to green?)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b17_1412605388

Also you will see in the foreground a cameraman who films the crash too (possibly the Spanish tv pictures i referred too earlier in this thread) but it also looks like they may have caught the beginning of the off as well as the impact / aftermath - will these get released to explain what caused the off in the first place? It's not surprising they haven't been released (yet) seeing how horrific the crash actually was.

My stars that's truly awful, if it had happened 20 seconds earlier he would have missed the recovery vehicle but what would he have hit bearing in mind he went through the gap that was open to recover Sutils car?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Not a great update issued in the past few minutes. Jules has a 'Diffuse Axonal Injury'

On one medical link I read

'About 90% of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10% that regain conciousness are often severely impaired'

It does also say that milder forms can have few if, any, long term issues. Lets hope it's at that end of the scale.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not a great update issued in the past few minutes. Jules has a 'Diffuse Axonal Injury'

On one medical link I read

'About 90% of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10% that regain conciousness are often severely impaired'

It does also say that milder forms can have few if, any, long term issues. Lets hope it's at that end of the scale.

That does sound pretty terrible. :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot bring myself to watch the clips. Doesn't sound good for Jules does it? :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports