[Albion] Jose Izquierdo - released by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
But the point is it is at least one. And that doesn't include the crosses where we missed chances.

If you watch it, you will see that calling it a blind cross is an insult. It was a quality cross into the near post and good movement from Connolly

You're right, it's a good delivery into the box. I think he's a little bit like Solly March in that if he has time to think about and attempt to pick someone out it generally doesn't work (March's assist for Maupay in the Burnley home game a notable exception), but if he just puts it into an area then it's not bad. There's another cross I'm thinking of where he whipped it across the 6 yard box but nobody made the run. It was after the restart but I forget who it was against. Murray would have swallowed it up.

I also think that it's a bit harsh to slag players off for a lack of assists, because it's not always their fault. I harp on about March's lack of productivity but I'm sure there are plenty of examples of him playing decent passes or putting balls into a good area which just weren't finished off. De Bruyne's only as good as the players he's passing to, who happen to be outrageous. Maybe Solly and/or Burn would get similar numbers feeding the same players. I bloody doubt it, but it's something to consider.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You're right, it's a good delivery into the box. I think he's a little bit like Solly March in that if he has time to think about and attempt to pick someone out it generally doesn't work (March's assist for Maupay in the Burnley home game a notable exception), but if he just puts it into an area then it's not bad. There's another cross I'm thinking of where he whipped it across the 6 yard box but nobody made the run. It was after the restart but I forget who it was against. Murray would have swallowed it up.

I also think that it's a bit harsh to slag players off for a lack of assists, because it's not always their fault. I harp on about March's lack of productivity but I'm sure there are plenty of examples of him playing decent passes or putting balls into a good area which just weren't finished off. De Bruyne's only as good as the players he's passing to, who happen to be outrageous. Maybe Solly and/or Burn would get similar numbers feeding the same players. I bloody doubt it, but it's something to consider.

Agreed re crosses only being as good as the strikers on the end of them. Nobody really remembers crosses that don't get converted.

Solly is a funny one. He had a really good run under Hughton about a year and a half ago where he got about six assists in a month or two and was playing full of confidence. However, he's not really reproduced that form since and seems to lack confidence at times.

Burn is probably the worst crosser of a ball at the club. It's not really a cross, it's a thump and hope. There's a very good reason he didn't create a single goal last season. Partly because aiming for Murray is easier than aiming for Maupay or Connolly, but mainly because he's got as much subtlety in the cross as you would have cutting a sandwich with a chainsaw.

Actually you are half right..Burn DID make crosses to Murray, trouble is Murray was on the subs bench whenever he tried :)

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So is he at Lancing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So he’s fit and ready for pre season right? Been far too long - good on him.

There's quite a gap to getting him back to Lancing and him being fit and firing for the new season. I'll believe it when I see it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So he’s fit and ready for pre season right? Been far too long - good on him.

I think the club may have said something if that was even close to fact. Personally doubt we’ll see him in the stripes (very thin ones) again, sadly. I was a big fan

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If he does end up not playing for us again he's a shoo-in for the next FLAIR player award after scoring two of the greatest goals we've scored in decades and then done bugger all else

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's quite a gap to getting him back to Lancing and him being fit and firing for the new season. I'll believe it when I see it

Yeh I mean fit to train ie not injured. [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] - I think we will but it remains to be seen how it affects him - like LuaLua after Hartlepool - we’ll need to be patient with him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh I mean fit to train ie not injured. [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] - I think we will but it remains to be seen how it affects him - like LuaLua after Hartlepool - we’ll need to be patient with him.

Well he's out of contract in 10 months, so we can't have unlimited patience

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wonder if he is in full training?

The squad for Saturday could certainly shine a light on this.

Would've been noticed during the various action shots if he'd be involved with first team squad training, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports