[Albion] Jose Izquierdo - released by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Danny Ings was out for 2 seasons for an injury example. A fit and firing Izzy would be a great addition.

Ings never had a game based on explosive acceleration and quick turning. I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see Izzy get this back

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Why do people put Bernardo in, GP seen him and doesn’t play him.

Because in every attribute other than standing up, Bernardo is vastly superior to Dan Burn. I was naming the strongest available team in my opinion, and Dan Burn doesn't get in it just because he's tall and can run up and down the left wing all game. He's great until he gets the ball.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Because in every attribute other than standing up, Bernardo is vastly superior to Dan Burn. I was naming the strongest available team in my opinion, and Dan Burn doesn't get in it just because he's tall and can run up and down the left wing all game. He's great until he gets the ball.

Dan Burn has trouble heading a ball as well

Stumpy Tim

We play with inside forwards some of the time. You can imagine a front 3 of

--------Maupay
Izquierdo -- Lallana

However, there is huge competition for these places in behind a striker (Trossard, Alexis, Mooy, Gross, Solly, Ali J plus anyone else we sign or promote from the academy) and we certainly won't be playing this system all of the time, less likely still if we sign a new striker. To get anywhere near this slot, Jose would have to get himself 100% fit and if we're honest, there are more technical footballers competing with him, so he'd have to get 100% of his pace back.

The only other possibility is some sort of mid career conversion to left wing back.

I can't really see either if I'm honest

We have been playing like that, but that´s more to do with Potter seeing his players and choosing a formation that works for them. My point is that "Potter doesn´t play wingers" isn´t true. He just hasn´t done that very often at the Albion

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So is he at Lancing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
When are the players due back for the start of pre season training ?

Thought it was Wednesday but not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be Wednesday, assumed Monday as it’s next week.

I thought it was August 17th

So did I.

From the Bruno article on the club website today:-

Albion are back next week to start preparing for the new Premier League campaign which kicks off on September 12 but Bruno offered an honest assessment of the season just finished, which ended with Albion securing a club record 41 points and 15th place having started Project Restart fixtures just two points above the relegation zone. ....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Burn is a better crosser and passer of the ball than Bernardo, which is why he's playing where he was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Dan Burn's crossing is poor (to my naked eye).

Comparing Burn's in 2019/20 to Bernardo all time PL games gives you similar number of games (34 Burn to 36 Bernardo). Bernardo hit 48 crosses with 19% accuracy and Burn 51 at 20%. So Burn crosses fractionally more often and more accurately. Both lag a long way behind Montoya on the other side. March was also at 19% cross accuracy for 19/20

Bernardo has never hit a through ball in the Premier League and completed 35 accurate long balls in those 36 games compared to Burn's 3 through balls and 45 accurate long balls in two games fewer.

You can play with the stats here https://www.premierleague.com/players/8707/Dan-Burn/stats?co=1&se=274

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Burn is probably the worst crosser of a ball at the club. It's not really a cross, it's a thump and hope. There's a very good reason he didn't create a single goal last season. Partly because aiming for Murray is easier than aiming for Maupay or Connolly, but mainly because he's got as much subtlety in the cross as you would have cutting a sandwich with a chainsaw.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Burn is probably the worst crosser of a ball at the club. It's not really a cross, it's a thump and hope. There's a very good reason he didn't create a single goal last season. Partly because aiming for Murray is easier than aiming for Maupay or Connolly, but mainly because he's got as much subtlety in the cross as you would have cutting a sandwich with a chainsaw.

Ignoring the fact you are being extremely harsh on Burn, you are factually incorrect. He definitely created Connolly's first goal against Spurs. I can't be bothered to go through every goal to see if there's more but that one is definite.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't remember seeing Izquierdo cross . . . . but a lot has happened since he last kicked a ball.

whats Dan Burn got to do with it anyway ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

You stated that Bernardo was better in every department. I've pointed you to the premier League official statistics that prove he's not. However.....

Ignoring the fact you are being extremely harsh on Burn, you are factually incorrect. He definitely created Connolly's first goal against Spurs. I can't be bothered to go through every goal to see if there's more but that one is definite.

This is true and he only didn't get an assist because the initial chance comes off the keeper. Incredibly harsh - it's a great ball in.

However, whilst Badger Boy has moved the goalposts (statistically Bernardo and March are worse crossers - FACT) those stats to also prove to a small degree what albionalex was saying. 20% isn't a great completion rate. In comparison Van Aarnholt has 34% last season and Montoya 36%.

But Burn is a converted centre back and he still has better stats - and trust me the Albion look at them - than his internal competition. The margins are so fine though that it's little wonder we've been rumoured to be looking at a LWB.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Ok, I take it back - in a whole season of playing pretty much every game, he put in one blind cross which led to a goal. He's more than good enough to justify playing every game!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Very much this. Can;t fault the effort of his energy and all thous runs. Unbelievable fitness. Sadly like you say his crossing is useless. He isn't alone though as most of our wingers can't cross as you would expect a Premier league player to do. Only Trossard can hold this head high in this area,

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ok, I take it back - in a whole season of playing pretty much every game, he put in one blind cross which led to a goal. He's more than good enough to justify playing every game!

But the point is it is at least one. And that doesn't include the crosses where we missed chances.

If you watch it, you will see that calling it a blind cross is an insult. It was a quality cross into the near post and good movement from Connolly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports