Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Rhodes - we are 'interested'

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He couldnt do much more than score vital goals which got them the points for promotion. That is when you need a player like him and as Saturday showed he could have been the difference between 1 and 3 points.

I'm not sure he could have been the difference on Saturday. We lacked a bit of quality and pace, not another target man option. What we really missed was Knockaert being completely on form in the build up, judging by the impact he had in the last 15/20 minutes.

He got 6 goals in 18 games, which is okay but not amazing for the price you talk about and I'm not sure he'd be able to play up front with Murray (as they'd be a bit immobile).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There weren't any misses on Saturday that left me thinking 'Blimey, someone like Rhodes would've banged that in'.

Exactly. People see expensive strikers and just assume if we buy them, they'd make the difference. I don't feel Rhodes would work in our team and just because he scored goals for Blackburn doesn't mean he would be good value for money for us.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
But it is a completely different situation. We really needed an alternative target man last January (although we wouldn't have known that Zamora would be out for most of the rest of the season). This season we have two target men. What we lack is pace up front and, for all his qualities in the Championship, Rhodes does not provide that. He also didn't exactly set the world alight at Middlesbrough last season.

Agreed Hemed is the replacement for Murray, we need a replacement for Baldock. What's that bloke at west ham called... cant remember his name, there was big thread about him on here once Argentinian Johnathan something......

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agreed Hemed is the replacement for Murray, we need a replacement for Baldock. What's that bloke at west ham called... cant remember his name, there was big thread about him on here once Argentinian Johnathan something......

Indeed or there's always Bolanos. Think we should resurrect that thread too!

If we could afford him, then someone like Scott Hogan is the ideal but realistically we won't be able to afford him (and they probably wouldn't sell to us anyway).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are reliant on Murray scoring and Knockhaert providing the chances for him players like Rhodes make chances out of nothing. He scored 6 goals in 18 games but that ensured 9 points. He scored the only goal in a draw v Birmingham and Burney the 2 goals in the win against Bolton 1 of 3 in the win at QPR and the only goal in the draw at MK Dons. All in all I think that is a good return and Middlesbro were well pleased for the return on their investment of £9m. They would sell him probably for less now so we could do the same and for fear of repeating myself one of the challengers will take him so why not us and then sell him on again next season, having achieved the aim. It would be money well spent.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We are reliant on Murray scoring and Knockhaert providing the chances for him players like Rhodes make chances out of nothing. He scored 6 goals in 18 games but that ensured 9 points. He scored the only goal in a draw v Birmingham and Burney the 2 goals in the win against Bolton 1 of 3 in the win at QPR and the only goal in the draw at MK Dons. All in all I think that is a good return and Middlesbro were well pleased for the return on their investment of £9m. They would sell him probably for less now so we could do the same and for fear of repeating myself one of the challengers will take him so why not us and then sell him on again next season, having achieved the aim. It would be money well spent.

There's a certain irony of you saying about repeating yourself. You've not read anything anyone else has said. Rhodes is a striker who needs good service. He's not the sort to make a goal on his own. We have two players like him already. What we lack is pace up front. It really is quite simple.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That's impressive to score the only goal in a draw

He's even more wrong that you think. It ended 2-2 so wasn't even Middlesbrough's only goal! And all his comments ignore that it is not like Middlesbrough would have played with ten men the matches he played in if he wasn't playing. An alternative striker might have done better!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
We do not need Rhodes, we do not need a strong slow centre forward. We have two very good ones.

What we need is a Baldock with clinical finishing. Someone who runs the channels, plays 1-2's with Murray/Hemed and runs onto the ball instead of playing it into his feet.

We've all seen what happened when we played Murray/Hemed together it just didn't work. I don't care how good Rhodes championship stats are he's the wrong player.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We do not need Rhodes, we do not need a strong slow centre forward. We have two very good ones.

What we need is a Baldock with clinical finishing. Someone who runs the channels, plays 1-2's with Murray/Hemed and runs onto the ball instead of playing it into his feet.

We've all seen what happened when we played Murray/Hemed together it just didn't work. I don't care how good Rhodes championship stats are he's the wrong player.

Cue N wells of the udders . think he would fit well

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Two questions:
-- how many assists does Knockaert have this season?
-- how many assists for Murray does he have?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I'd take both thanks. If we did lose Murray to injury then we would be desperate for a Rhodes-type player to play alongside Baldock, because it doesn't seem like Hemed is that man. This is our season, because if we don't go up then next year's campaign will be done without Dunk and Knockaert and Stephens and Murray. For me its a bigger gamble to not sign players like Rhodes than to sign them.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
He's even more wrong that you think. It ended 2-2 so wasn't even Middlesbrough's only goal! And all his comments ignore that it is not like Middlesbrough would have played with ten men the matches he played in if he wasn't playing. An alternative striker might have done better!

This has been making me roll my eyes as well, sure he scored 6 goals (almost as good as Ramirez's 7 in 18). But other players scored the remaining 57 of Boro's goals, who is to say how many striker x would have scored! There seems to be an underlying belief that it was due to Rhodes that they got promoted, which is obviously ridiculous.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

Assists this season.

Skalak 5
Baldock 4
Bong 4

Knockaert 0

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No I'm not sure you're wrong, I can see the benefit of having Hemed there for crosses as the game got compressed.

Presumably Chris disagrees with you though, since he didn't do it. Maybe Baldock's goal the other day meant Chris felt he'd be more likely to take a chance if the ball came to the edge of the area - maybe Hemed hasn't been so clinical in training recently, I don't know.

I was surprised Hemed didn't get the call. CH nearly always takes Baldock off for a midfielder in games we're winning, in this case it felt like we should be throwing the big man on. Or for Murray if nothing else to give his marker something to think about. Hemed must have been off in training - or has a knock?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct me if i'm wrong but Knockaert has 0 this season right? And Murray has 1.

Simlply the assist register is only related to the final ball it says nothing of the build up so I would say that AK has many that he has started a movement with that is then carried on by another player like SB to supply GM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here