Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Maguire-Drew

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No, I don't mean players who come through but are passed on to lower level clubs, which most of those were. Dunk's no teenage sensation either. Only Elphick's career has progressed since leaving here.
I'm talking about TOP level youngsters, able to shine at the highest level when 17 or 18 - the Michael Owens, Wayne Rooneys, Walcotts, Oxlade Chamerlains, etc. Not journeymen who scrub about the second or third division. Solly March might make it, but even he's three years too old to be an eighteen-year old star.

Blimey. Aim high. Michael Owen, Rooney, Walcott. - aren't they the only 3 England players to be in World Cup squads at the age of 17/18 in the last 20 years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey. Aim high. Michael Owen, Rooney, Walcott. - aren't they the only 3 England players to be in World Cup squads at the age of 17/18 in the last 20 years.
Come on Jem, stop being so blinkered.

We all know the Michael Owens, Wayne Rooneys, Walcotts, Oxlade Chamerlains of this world, would be deemed shitehouse by all knowing NSC were they to be playing for the Albion youth set-up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He has had a bad injury and had just returned, way too good for the u18s and needed some men's football.
Still the u18s top scorer I believe despite that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, wildly ambitious, but nothing wrong in aiming high. It's the way 'conversations' can twist and turn on a website chat - my original 'error', for which I was taken to task, was replying to a post asking if he could be the next Jake Robinson by saying I hoped he'd be better than that!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He has had a bad injury and had just returned, way too good for the u18s and needed some men's football.
Still the u18s top scorer I believe despite that.

Perhaps, but why wouldnt you have him playing for current DS team, its not as if he has gone out to gain league experience.

Our under 21's have Newcastle away tomorrow whilst Worthing competes in the same league as Peacehaven, East Grinstead and Three Bridges, its a telling tale either for JMD or the clubs assessment of the current league of which they currently struggle to win a game.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Perhaps, but why wouldnt you have him playing for current DS team, its not as if he has gone out to gain league experience.

Our under 21's have Newcastle away tomorrow whilst Worthing competes in the same league as Peacehaven, East Grinstead and Three Bridges, its a telling tale either for JMD or the clubs assessment of the current league of which they currently struggle to win a game.

He's been the under-18s captain and one of the top goalscorers in the u18 Premier League. He is an u18 by age group. To be playing in the u21s would be advancing him up a level early. Would that have benefitted him? James Tilley moved up early and doesn't start every week. There's a lot of competition for places in those attacking wide positions in the u21s. Is sitting on the bench for the 21s or captaining the 18s better for his development? They may have looked to move him up earlier if it wasn't for his injury anyway. Wouldn't read too much into it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He's been the under-18s captain and one of the top goalscorers in the u18 Premier League. He is an u18 by age group. To be playing in the u21s would be advancing him up a level early. Would that have benefitted him? James Tilley moved up early and doesn't start every week. There's a lot of competition for places in those attacking wide positions in the u21s. Is sitting on the bench for the 21s or captaining the 18s better for his development? They may have looked to move him up earlier if it wasn't for his injury anyway. Wouldn't read too much into it.

On a personal level I really dont care although I wish all young players well, but whilst its being discussed then undoubtedly an 18 year old prospect (if he is deemed one by the club) would be playing regularly for the Under 21's as that is the normal progression of young players, it might be that the older players within that group might then go out on loan to a higher level non league or ideally try and get some experience with another league club.

However it remains that not to find a starting position for a young prospect in the U21's, whilst finding starting roles for older players (and many more of a similar age) that seem to be delivering not very much would be a concern for me if I was JMD it doesnt condemn him as I think he is too good to be ignored, but this loan isnt an obvious progression for any young player within a Cat 1 Academy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There's about 5 accusations here in your short post completely unwarranted.

- "strangely" he's not appeared in the DS recently
- he's been "squirted out" of the club and the club "cooled on him"
- the club "weren't nurturing him"
- its not a good thing to go on loan to a "fairly average Sussex senior club"
- If you were him "i would feel slightly worried"

blimey BG - you really aren't keen on the youth set up at the Albion are you ?

There really isnt 5 accusations at all, its a comment on JMD which was posted by another poster, the comment was on the progression on a youngster, it could be any youngster at any club.

A young players progress usually can be assessed by a number of aspects the most obvious and usually the most telling is team level and team selection.

In a modern and progressive Academy especially Cat 1, you would expect to see the best youth team players pushed on to the U21's and the best U21's pushed out on loan to professional clubs or to the first team, it can sometimes get disrupted by a few older players returning from injury but you would expect a natural progression within the clubs teams.

Having to go out on loan to a local level side offering nothing superior to what is delivered by our own Academy structure, be it pitches, crowds, pressure, team mates and opponents for me would show that he might have slipped within the clubs pecking order.

You name one thing that Worthing might offer any young player from a Cat 1 Academy that could not be delivered within it, the answer is nothing, so it would be logical to conclude that he is not yet deemed good enough to command a regular place within our 21's a team that doesnt seem particularly competitive at present, yes I would be concerned.

But this isnt a comment necessarily on our Academy more a comment on the present prospects of a young player based on his current circumstances, I wish him well I always thought he was genuinely a stand out player.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
There really isnt 5 accusations at all, its a comment on JMD which was posted by another poster, the comment was on the progression on a youngster, it could be any youngster at any club.

A young players progress usually can be assessed by a number of aspects the most obvious and usually the most telling is team level and team selection.

In a modern and progressive Academy especially Cat 1, you would expect to see the best youth team players pushed on to the U21's and the best U21's pushed out on loan to professional clubs or to the first team, it can sometimes get disrupted by a few older players returning from injury but you would expect a natural progression within the clubs teams.

Having to go out on loan to a local level side offering nothing superior to what is delivered by our own Academy structure, be it pitches, crowds, pressure, team mates and opponents for me would show that he might have slipped within the clubs pecking order.

You name one thing that Worthing might offer any young player from a Cat 1 Academy that could not be delivered within it, the answer is nothing, so it would be logical to conclude that he is not yet deemed good enough to command a regular place within our 21's a team that doesnt seem particularly competitive at present, yes I would be concerned.

But this isnt a comment necessarily on our Academy more a comment on the present prospects of a young player based on his current circumstances, I wish him well I always thought he was genuinely a stand out player.

You're aware that he can play for our u21s, u18s and Worthing, such is the nature of a youth loan? It's a handful of games playing with fully grown men. Another good experience for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's about time Hughtown drafted some children into the first team.

I miss not having unrealistic expectations, then a 'comedy' nick name, followed by continuous audible sighs and groans when the child misplaces a pass.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're aware that he can play for our u21s, u18s and Worthing, such is the nature of a youth loan? It's a handful of games playing with fully grown men. Another good experience for him.

C'mon, playing at Worthing with youngsters, some older players, some good, most average a few that are quite poor, some fit and some unfit, is not comparable to playing against Newcastle U21's tomorrow evening,against hungry professionals and no doubt a couple of seasoned professionals, there is no comparison.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think perhaps the point that an earlier poster was trying- clumsily- to make, was that it's strikers that we've historically been useless at producing.

I know I bang on about it, but it does make you wonder. We've had defenders coming out of our ears, a couple of presentable midfielders like Hammond and Dean Cox, but not a single striker who has ever gone on to make it as a regular, whether at the Albion, or at another League club. All of them have ended up sliding lower and lower down the pyramid until they bottom out at their (lower non-league) level, or quit altogether. Scott Ramsey. Joe Gatting. Jake Robinson. Chris McPhee. George Barker.

That fact that Jordan Maguire-Drew is a striker would, purely on a statistical basis, seem to instantly diminish his chances of a successful league career with us, or anyone else. I very much hope this doesn't prove to be the case, of course. Good luck to the lad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I would be concerned.

Fair enough you seem utterly convinced he's not being nurtured by the club, they don't think much of him, are making a mistake loaning him out to play adult football, and conclude that his prospects, even though he's been injured for several months, is the u18s top scorer, has scouts sniffing around him and he's part of what could be a premier league youth set up in a few weeks are utterly bleak.

I don't agree.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Fair enough you seem utterly convinced he's not being nurtured by the club, they don't think much of him, are making a mistake loaning him out to play adult football, and conclude that his prospects, even though he's been injured for several months, is the u18s top scorer, has scouts sniffing around him and he's part of what could be a premier league youth set up in a few weeks are utterly bleak.

I don't agree.

No I am saying a Cat 1 club already has grown up adult football for 18+ year olds, its called the Under 21 Premier League, playing with bigger stronger, fitter professionals from other Cat 1 Academy's, Worthing does not offer him something superior to what is already on offer within the system, absolutely does not.

If they are unable to offer him this at his club and needs to go to Worthing to play, it at least tells you that those playing for our current U21's are above him in the pecking order, how else can you interpret it ??

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
C'mon, playing at Worthing with youngsters, some older players, some good, most average a few that are quite poor, some fit and some unfit, is not comparable to playing against Newcastle U21's tomorrow evening,against hungry professionals and no doubt a couple of seasoned professionals, there is no comparison.

Under 21 football is a good level of skill but it's not overly competitive so I think sending youngsters out to play non league men's football is a good idea. He will have to get used to playing against big strong defenders and although the standard isn't great at least it’s competitive and the result actually matters to those playing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think you've missed the point. He can play at Worthing AND the U21s. That's the point of a youth loan as Turkey has said.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No I am saying a Cat 1 club already has grown up adult football for 18+ year olds, its called the Under 21 Premier League, playing with bigger stronger, fitter professionals from other Cat 1 Academy's, Worthing does not offer him something superior to what is already on offer within the system, absolutely does not.

If they are unable to offer him this at his club and needs to go to Worthing to play, it at least tells you that those playing for our current U21's are above him in the pecking order, how else can you interpret it ??

Yes. But you went a lot further than that . Saying the club aren't "nurturing" him, were wrong to loan him out, and that he doesn't have a future at the club. ("I would be concerned")
The alternative scenario is perhaps we have only a few games left until the end of the season and the club want to see as much of Harpo, Hambo and Tilley (their existing DS strikers/forwards) as much possible in the u21s given they are now all fit, all bright prospects and older than JMD, and the flexible youth loan for Maguire Drew gives him and the club a chance to better assess his prospects .

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here