Jonathan Calleri

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
So, If we have missed out then it is a shame, but if you step back and take off your blue and white tinted specs for a moment and look at this situation from Jonathan Calleri's point of view, it's not all that surprising. The lad is 22 and is the best young player at Boca Juniors, the biggest club in South American football. From most reports it seems he is being eased out by Boca because they need the cash. So now he must take the daunting step of emigrating, potentially to a country where he doesn't speak the language. Not an easy thing to do I'm sure.

On top of this is all the talk of Champions league winners Chelsea and Inter Milan showing an interest and then some club from the second tier in England.

I guess Paul Winstanley and the club have done all they can to sell the clubs potential to him and point to the likes of Rihad Mahrez and Odion Ighalo as examples of players who joined Championship clubs, got playing time and flourished rather than stagnated, sat on the bench at bigger clubs. Both of these guys gained experience in English football and got promoted to the Premier League and both now look like getting massive moves to teams like Arsenal and Manchester United, where they will likely be first team starters.

Luis Suarez, easily the best striker in the world on current form, didn't just move to a European giant when he came across the Atlantic. He bided his time at Groningen in Holland, before Ajax came calling and the rest is history.

So although I'm disappointed that the club didn't get their man, I'm genuinely more optimistic about the clubs future because for me, the biggest part in all this is that Brighton is now competing for the best young talent South America has to offer. This saga will be looked back upon as a watershed moment in our recent history, as the moment we began seriously bidding against the likes of 3 times European cup winners Inter Milan and did so with a better than average chance of success.

And to the Calleri's I say, We may not be the biggest club in world football, but as Luis Suarez has proved, biggest isn't always best when you are starting out in Europe. If you had come to Brighton to help us win promotion, then I'm sure we would have loved you from day one like the superstar you might one day become and you wouldn't have regretted it for a second.

Articulated perfectly there Mr Winstanley, or is that you Tony?
:bowdown:

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
So no super brilliant south american strikers joining after 100's of posts on both threads.

Never mind, Darren Bent may save our season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So, can we just cut the crap and sign Matt Derbyshire. Sorted. :thumbsup:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
So, If we have missed out then it is a shame, but if you step back and take off your blue and white tinted specs for a moment and look at this situation from Jonathan Calleri's point of view, it's not all that surprising. The lad is 22 and is the best young player at Boca Juniors, the biggest club in South American football. From most reports it seems he is being eased out by Boca because they need the cash. So now he must take the daunting step of emigrating, potentially to a country where he doesn't speak the language. Not an easy thing to do I'm sure.

On top of this is all the talk of Champions league winners Chelsea and Inter Milan showing an interest and then some club from the second tier in England.

I guess Paul Winstanley and the club have done all they can to sell the clubs potential to him and point to the likes of Rihad Mahrez and Odion Ighalo as examples of players who joined Championship clubs, got playing time and flourished rather than stagnated, sat on the bench at bigger clubs. Both of these guys gained experience in English football and got promoted to the Premier League and both now look like getting massive moves to teams like Arsenal and Manchester United, where they will likely be first team starters.

Luis Suarez, easily the best striker in the world on current form, didn't just move to a European giant when he came across the Atlantic. He bided his time at Groningen in Holland, before Ajax came calling and the rest is history.

So although I'm disappointed that the club didn't get their man, I'm genuinely more optimistic about the clubs future because for me, the biggest part in all this is that Brighton is now competing for the best young talent South America has to offer. This saga will be looked back upon as a watershed moment in our recent history, as the moment we began seriously bidding against the likes of 3 times European cup winners Inter Milan and did so with a better than average chance of success.

And to the Calleri's I say, We may not be the biggest club in world football, but as Luis Suarez has proved, biggest isn't always best when you are starting out in Europe. If you had come to Brighton to help us win promotion, then I'm sure we would have loved you from day one like the superstar you might one day become and you wouldn't have regretted it for a second.

So is this the unofficial, official, unofficial post on the matter.
#illholdthenerveanyway #blindfaith
If it makes everyone feel better if I was Calleri this is the 1st club I would come to

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, but I am not affiliated to the club in any way, either officially nor unofficially. Alas, I'm just an average Johnny, and not even a 1901 member. I'm just another F5 basher, trying to cut trough all the misinformation, make believe and general bollox that makes up 99% of this thread.

From what I have gleaned so far, we probably are after him. We probably bid around $10,000,000. We probably offered a 3.5 year contract of £14,000 a week. He probably would rather go to Inter. His dad / agent is probably trying to do what is best for his son / client.

In my opinion, the sticking point is wages, after all, they have yet to tell us to do one. If £14k is enough to peak their interest, then perhaps Tony should break the clubs perceived wage structure to get his man. £20k a week might be enough to seal the deal?

But even if we don't get JC, there are always more fish in the sea, and $10,000,000 buys you a whole lot of sushi.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, but I am not affiliated to the club in any way, either officially nor unofficially. Alas, I'm just an average Johnny, and not even a 1901 member. I'm just another F5 basher, trying to cut trough all the misinformation, make believe and general bollox that makes up 99% of this thread.

From what I have gleaned so far, we probably are after him. We probably bid around $10,000,000. We probably offered a 3.5 year contract of £14,000 a week. He probably would rather go to Inter. His dad / agent is probably trying to do what is best for his son / client.

In my opinion, the sticking point is wages, after all, they have yet to tell us to do one. If £14k is enough to peak their interest, then perhaps Tony should break the clubs perceived wage structure to get his man. £20k a week might be enough to seal the deal?

But even if we don't get JC, there are always more fish in the sea, and $10,000,000 buys you a whole lot of sushi.
Think the complex ownership through a third party is at least as much of a problem as the wages....Doesn't appear to be JCs choice where he goes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This highlights why we need to go abroad to find value. This sort of cash could not buy the likes of Rhodes, McCormack, Austin, Gray, Hernandez or Martin. I doubt it would even get us Kodjia. We don't have a top Championship striker yet, this is the reason why we are no longer in the automatic promotion positions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'd be very surprised if we offered only £14k for a player we are prepared to spend £6.5m on. He could easily earn that in the reserves of any premiership team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports