Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnson Quits as England Manager (Merged)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Think Mallet or Henry are the best bets for the job.

Johnson was out odd one. It was a bad appointment but in the year before the World Cup he'd done a good job by finally bringing in some new faces and playing some attacking rugby. The players behaviour let him down but he seemed to crap himself at the World Cup and forgot how good they had been at times such as the Australia games and parts of the 6Nations

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Graham Henry was the reason the Lions didn't win in Oz but i guess that was 10 years ago. I would never have believed then that I could consider now..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would be delighted if Henry took over England but I have to wonder if he'd want the job. He's just won the World Cup with a squad who are in a different league to what he would be working with here. He's 65 and he just quit the world's best team.

It's a bit like Fergie quitting United to take over Everton...why??

This is putting aside the fact that the RFU seems to be an old school tie club full of braying buffoons.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think it's great news and he should have gone straight after the inept performances in the WC. Now go and get a Southern Hemisphere coach. Preferably one who is not obsessed with the forwards. I'm sure we could have way more flair in the 3/4 line than we have seen. Attrition rugby may get results but Christ it's boring, I'd like to see us at least match the Welsh and Irish in flair from the backs.

I totally agree. There is a great talent pool for England in rugby, unlike football, we need a Director of Rugby that is able to best organise it. I would like to see Sir Clive back myself, hopefully with fresh (southern hemisphere) coaches to help the development at national level, with expansive rugby filtering down to all levels, instead of Leicester Tigers type, forward dominated crap.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone seen the press conference Rob Andrew looks smug as anything

Thought he came over really badly. Took no responsibility for anything that had gone wrong, got all superior and condescending when questions were put to him, and didn't give proper answers.

Johnson was better - although he managed not to give a straight answer as to why he was really standing down for 30 minutes. Maybe the written boys will do better with the cameras off when they sit down with him later.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Get rid of Rob Andrew and replace him and Johnson with Graham Henry and Nick Mallender, lays the foundation for the future and the present.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rob Andrew is a prat. The smarmy git always has been and always will be. The RFU are stuffy twits. I can't see that changing for a long while.

I think Shaun Edwards is set to sign a 4 year deal with Wales.

England Specials Who Will Be Next England Head Coach? Betting Odds | Rugby Union Betting

Mallinder is the slight favourite. I wouldn't be adverse to that. He has a good pedigree. As long as he adds a bit of (old) Gallic flair to our ranks.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Get rid of Rob Andrew and replace him and Johnson with Graham Henry and Nick Mallender, lays the foundation for the future and the present.

I think you mean Jim Mallinder, that being the case, good call.

Northampton have progressed rapidly under him and he has experience of the England set up.

Foden, Ashton and Lawes have flourished under his leadership and he has respect in the wider rugby world.

I just hope the RFU gets its act together.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Bit like Brian Robson and Roy Keane in football. These "lead by example" players do not make good managers. They have unrealistic expectations of their players and not the IQ skills to deal with them. Saw this coming the moment he was given the post

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Owen does look to be a class act.

Time to get Cipriani back into the game.

It would be wonderful if there was a complete fresh start, but Teflon Andrew is clinging on to control.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Owen does look to be a class act.

Time to get Cipriani back into the game.

It would be wonderful if there was a complete fresh start, but Teflon Andrew is clinging on to control.

The country is brimming with young talent. We could lose at least ten current players from the starting line up. From my team, Quins, Robshaw, Robson and Mike Brown. Although we are top, we are not the best side, there is so much talent available.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The country is brimming with young talent. We could lose at least ten current players from the starting line up. From my team, Quins, Robshaw, Robson and Mike Brown. Although we are top, we are not the best side, there is so much talent available.

Indeed. I am by no means an expert on rugby, since it moved to SKY, but we do seem to have a great deal of talent.

Johnno was a dinosaur. Left behind many good players that could have won us the world cup.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Lets hope Andy Farrell doesn't import too many South Africans! It will be interesting to see if it brings Owen any closer to the team. He out-kicked Toby Flood in the final last year.

Owen Farrell needs to be playing for England. The best English number 10 in the game at the moment and the final last season showed that he rises to the occasion on big games. He needs to be blooded gently though, as Cipriani suffered by bearing too much expectation at too young-a-age.

Owen Farrell needs to be playing for England. The best English number 10 in the game at the moment and the final last season showed that he rises to the occasion on big games. He needs to be blooded gently though, as Cipriani suffered by bearing too much expectation at too young-a-age.

I read an article recently (will have been one of BBC or the Guardian) in which they thought that Farrell, if he plays, was most likely to play at 12, because Flood was a shoe-in for 10. Apparently Flood is one of the candidates for the captaincy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here