Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Russell

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
He wanted him in the Summer. Why would he have changed his mind?

why anyone could change their mind after 5 months ? things may change, opinions may change, other players come into sight, change of requirements, who knows.

I have been known to change my mind in the past depending on circumstances, anybody else ?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If Ch brings him in, it's the right move. He looks like a player who would enjoy playing at the Albion. Who wouldn't? I agree with comments on the team that we have at the moment being more of a unit, rather than "everyone else" and a few Charlie Big-Spuds. If CH thinks it's good for the team, its good for the team. KTF. (Keep the faith).

:albion2:

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
I think he would be a good addition, looked at Wikipedia and he has a good goal to game ratio for a winger / in the hole attacking player. A lot of people didn't think Duffy was required and look how that has turned out... I trust the club to make the right decision(s).

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think it will be a signing of this ilk rather than a left field "marquee" signing. Whenever I've seen him play he seems to be a pest in the same vein of Baldock.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think it will be a signing of this ilk rather than a left field "marquee" signing. Whenever I've seen him play he seems to be a pest in the same vein of Baldock.

He is probably the Champ player most similar to Baldock. Given that he is only player we don't have a direct alternate for, this makes perfect sense. Getting Russell or someone similar is a no-brainer and essential mitigation to our biggest risk.

The issue I think TB will be wrestling with is whether to also try for a marquee striker who could play in the PL. The balance of advantage, given our position, looks positive. But it's not my money.

PG

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I suppose so when you are hearing Man U prepared to pay £25m to take Michael Keane back to Old Trafford. I do know of 1 Premier manager who says he is Championship standard only but is said on here to have offered £19m for him.

You do seem to have a lot of knowledge of what managers think and don't think. Or maybe you are talking rubbish. If you think Dunk is worth anything like £3.8 million, I would assume the latter.

Maybe we should all make up stuff. I happen to know 12 Premier League managers and they all think Dunk is worth £100 million and hope to make a world record transfer bid. Does that work?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was about to join in the chorus chuckling at BensGrandad's £3.8m valuation of Lewis Dunk until I remembered that we paid just £4.5m for Shane Duffy at the start of the season - same sort of age, similar level of ability and of course Duffy is an international player.

That said, both will be worth well in excess of £10m after the season they are each having. It is indeed a bit daft to suggest otherwise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You do seem to have a lot of knowledge of what managers think and don't think. Or maybe you are talking rubbish. If you think Dunk is worth anything like £3.8 million, I would assume the latter.

Maybe we should all make up stuff. I happen to know 12 Premier League managers and they all think Dunk is worth £100 million and hope to make a world record transfer bid. Does that work?

My info comes from a scout for the club who I happen to know. and have done for years. That is not so say he is correct in his view but it is the view that was passed on to and agreed by the manager but many on here say that same manager has bid £10m for LD which is the point I am doubting, not his worth to us or any other team.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I was about to join in the chorus chuckling at BensGrandad's £3.8m valuation of Lewis Dunk until I remembered that we paid just £4.5m for Shane Duffy at the start of the season - same sort of age, similar level of ability and of course Duffy is an international player.

That said, both will be worth well in excess of £10m after the season they are each having. It is indeed a bit daft to suggest otherwise.

Not sure it was even that much (£3.5 million rumoured) but that was down to the situation at Blackburn and him being out of contract at the end of the season. Dunk's value is three times that I would say.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Other factors

- length of contract
- financial security of parent club
- desire of player to leave
- desire of parent club to sell

You illustrate what great business Duffy was when we have a player of similar ability and age, for whom we would have been looking for at least double what we paid Blackburn

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure it was even that much (£3.5 million rumoured) but that was down to the situation at Blackburn and him being out of contract at the end of the season. Dunk's value is three times that I would say.

On what basis? Great player for us but as yet unproven at a higher level and has moments of madness usually when shown in the games on TV.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
My info comes from a scout for the club who I happen to know. and have done for years. That is not so say he is correct in his view but it is the view that was passed on to and agreed by the manager but many on here say that same manager has bid £10m for LD which is the point I am doubting, not his worth to us or any other team.

To be honest then, the scout you know should look for another job. There's no guarantee how any player will adapt to another level but to write Dunk off as not Premier League quality is an embarrassing view.

As for bids, there was undoubtedly interest in the summer (no idea whether there were bids) but that is not the point. He is clearly worth far more than £3.8 million so why say it. And, by the way, your original post said £19 million, not £10 million, which confused me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Does he wear a uniform?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
On what basis? Great player for us but as yet unproven at a higher level and has moments of madness usually when shown in the games on TV.

On the basis of the transfer market. If you look at what young English centre backs are costing these days, he is clearly worth £10 million plus. You're desperation not to be proved wrong is blinding you to the obvious.

As for moments of madness, while he is still getting too many bookings, he has pretty much cut out the moments of madness this season. And what relevance do TV games have? What impact will that have on his value?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be honest then, the scout you know should look for another job. There's no guarantee how any player will adapt to another level but to write Dunk off as not Premier League quality is an embarrassing view.

As for bids, there was undoubtedly interest in the summer (no idea whether there were bids) but that is not the point. He is clearly worth far more than £3.8 million so why say it. And, by the way, your original post said £19 million, not £10 million, which confused me.

Sorry that was a mistype or possibly wishful thinking as Michael Keane is rated at £25m. A;;scout gives an opinion it is up to the manager whether he agrees or not. As has been pointed out we bought Duffy for about the same price and they are comparable players. The valuation of both will rise due to their performances this season but I wouldnt say that LD is 3 times the player SD is at the momnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here