• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No JT splits the team, but Ashley Cole yes

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Anyone who thinks Terry would have improved things has lost their mind. And was not paying attention during the last two world cups when he was exposed for what he is - good club player, out of his depth in international tournament football.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
He was definitely good enough to get in the squad, as was Ashley Cole. It's a World Cup, not a personality contest.

This will all be masked by the 'building for the future...they've all got to enjoy each other's company...' school of thought.

I'd rather we'd have qualified with a couple of divisive, unpopular players than went out in the Groups with a smile and everybody getting on.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't like the bloke but he has an understanding with Cahill (who was the only decent defender tonight) at Chelsea..

So.. Yes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We weren't all that when Terry was at his peak. Added to that he is a one-man media circus and it went tits up in South Africa with him and Gerrard.

I think there's a better argument for Rio Ferdinand's selection.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Danny Murphy - "I'm not sure we have got enough leaders in this England squad. I'm sure if we had gone to John Terry and asked him to play, the players wouldn't have minded because he has been the best defender in the Premier League this season."

Apr 12, 2011
I said this during the game...I absolutely detest the guy but with someone like him at the back leading alongside Cahill and bellowing at the others, I reckon he could have made the difference.

There it is. Can't believe I said that.

D

Deleted member 18477

Hate the man but yes

This. I cannot stand JT. But... Just yes.

I also think it was a mistake leaving a big game player like Cashley out. He would have been in my starting 11. We had big games in the group and he would have added some leadership...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is the John Terry who was left stranded by the Germans at the last WC?

He looked slow and past it then, not sure how ageing four more years would have given him more pace

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No. The question should have been "would England have done better with Gary Neville than Glen Johnson at right back", in which case, even at his age, the answer would have been an unequivocal yes.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Jaggeryelka was no better than a league 2 defender......truly woeful, slow, poor positioning, poor play......so YES.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The positional sense and reading of the game by a top defender like Terry can more than make up for a lack of pace.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
clearly, and Chelseas goals against back this, Cahil and Terry is the best England center back pairing we have. though not sure Henderson and Gerrard offer enough protection as too inclinded to go forward. and all the goals so far have coming from the left wing, Baines has been poor (when Johnson was expected to the weakest link)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Would have probably stopped Suarez from scoring Unlike Jagielka who just stood there and let him do it...

They just showed that goal Germany scored from a goal kick 4 years ago....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We weren't going to win this World Cup. With John Terry we might have got through but picking would have been a backward step. The defence probably was too naive this time. The future of a Stones, Shaw, Flanagan etc is promising. We need to move forward and give ourselves a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here