Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Gregory throws his hat in

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funny thing is, I suspect there was quite a lot of truth in it.

Maybe but he is still a twat who shouldn't ever be considered at any role at the Albion for saying it and trying to shaft us on compo.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Wasn't there a brilliant John Gregory quote? Anyone remember it?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As much as I don't want to sound disloyal, that's only one side of the story....

Fair enough but to say that Knight wouldn't have known Standing and Barry was a little far fetched with standing being his nephew and Barry his nephews bessie mate (which is why the Standing transfer happened to help Barry settle in in the midlands).

I was told that at the tribunal Gregory went up to Knight and the club representatives and said 'well done - you've got a good deal for you club' it's only the public quotes that were different.

Also Doug Ellis refused to pay the club when money was due in the terms of the deal and had to be forced by the premier league by witholding sky money. Then the players were told they wouldn't play again unless the Albion dropped the deal for compensation. The club and Villa then agreed an up front payment that removed appearance clauses, sell on fees and payments for england appearances.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Actually, I think he might be an absolutely FLAIR appointment

John Gregory said:
""I personally think referees should be wired up to a couple of electrodes and they should be allowed to make three mistakes before you run 50,000 volts through their genitals."

"I've got no time for the usual manager's claptrap you hear. They often say "Well, so and so was very disappointing", but I'd rather say, 'He played crap'."

On Dwight Yorke; "If I'd had a gun I could have shot him."

"I don't like Chelsea and I've never liked Chelsea"

And finally - and spectacularly;

"The chairman of Brighton wouldn't recognise Gareth Barry if he was stood on Brighton beach in the team strip, with a seagull on his head and a ball in his hand."

GREGORY IN!!!! :lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
God we're a fussy bunch aren't we? Leaving aisde their managerial qualities we don't want Wise because he's nasty, we don't want Gregory because he once said something horrid about us, some don't even want Coppell because he's ex-Palace. I'm sure some wouldn't want Alex Ferguson because he's too grumpy.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Brovian,

I think I could just about overlook Ferguson's grumpiness if he came here!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brovian,

I think I could just about overlook Ferguson's grumpiness if he came here!

Those special extra 10 "Fergie" mins at the end of a game we were losing or drawing at home might backfire down here though, maybe he could get 10 mins knocked off if we were winning at 80 mins?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those special extra 10 "Fergie" mins at the end of a game we were losing or drawing at home might backfire down here though, maybe he could get 10 mins knocked off if we were winning at 80 mins?

we already seem to be playing at 5pm a disproportional amount of time, with Fergie you'd be looking at 5:15pm finishes :ohmy:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I must be the only one unaware of what JG said about the club. Can someone enlighten me pls

After he'd enticed Barry to Villa, Gregory boasted that he had "stolen" Barry from Brighton. This coming from someone who played about two hundred games for us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Get over it,,,,he made a comment years ago.....I dont want Gregory but id have Hitler as manager if could take us into Falmer in the championship and then beyond.Its about time we got a winning at all costs nasty mentality!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Remember the vilification given to Coppell and Peter Taylor for their Palace connections which evaporated very quickly..

Having said that, I think JG is utter shite!

I don't think it's the same situation. The majority were quite happy to accept Coppell and Taylor so long as they delivered the goods on the pitch. It was only a short sighted few that could never get over the Palace connection no matter how good a managerial pedigree they both had. Nobody booed them when they first walked out at Withdean.

Gregory, on the other hand, wouldn't have touched the likes of us with a bargepole a few years back, he'd have considered us beneath him. He's only interested now because he hasn't got a job. He'd take Macclesfield Town or Morecambe if they offered him a position.

I think he's a crap manager who has previous as far as this club is concerned, and after his previous efforts, is seriously talking out of his arse if he thinks we're going to offer him work.

It's not about being 'fussy', it's about honour - and Gregory wasn't exactly honourable in the way he dealt with us over the Barry sage....and particularly in the context of his being an ex-player of ours and well-treated by us at that time.

For that reason he ought to have been TRYING to get us a fair deal, not trying to rip us out of a single penny for the now England regular.
You don't just waive that away out of sudden 'convenience'.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
God we're a fussy bunch aren't we? Leaving aisde their managerial qualities we don't want Wise because he's nasty, we don't want Gregory because he once said something horrid about us, some don't even want Coppell because he's ex-Palace. I'm sure some wouldn't want Alex Ferguson because he's too grumpy.

To be fair, I don't think people are against Gregory because of the Gareth Barry saga.

They are against him because he is shit.

Piss off Gregory.

We can assume TB has more sense than to have anything to do with him anyway.
But if by some grave mischance he should come my ST gets shredded and I'll see no more games till he's gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here