Joey Barton on Gareth Barry

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I warmed to Barton after his remarks over certain internationals releasing their autobiogs after another crap world cup showing: "I played shit, here's my book"

But he hasn't really stopped moaning since then. Barry is limited, but he's really not noticably worse than Barton and that's a fact. I actually agree that the inclusion of Barry shows what a lack of depth we have, but can't say that replacing him with Barton would ever make me think anything different as he too is extremely limited. Plus these public comments just make him seem like an idiot - what self respecting England manager is going to include a disruptive player like him in a national squad. He'd decimate morale.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I like Joey Barton and nothing he says in that interview is particularly wrong.

Ok, he might not be the BEST English central midfielder, but he would certainly rank in the top five at the moment.

And Gareth Barry is woefully short of being a top class international player.

He may well have a point about the England propensity to stick with their short-list regardless of achievements. Downing got lauded v Ghana, and although I found it an entertaining match with the fair result on the day - he's third-rate.

Which is about where I would place Barton too. I'd surely put Barry on ahead of that loose-cannon, but on playing merit as well as cool-headed quality. Where players are out of form though, it still appears to be tough for new lads to break into the squad and replace them. Downing at his best wasn't great, but he's on the decline as an effective player worth the England shirt

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Barton isn't even the best English central midfielder at Newcastle

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He may well have a point about the England propensity to stick with their short-list regardless of achievements. Downing got lauded v Ghana, and although I found it an entertaining match with the fair result on the day - he's third-rate.

Which is about where I would place Barton too. I'd surely put Barry on ahead of that loose-cannon, but on playing merit as well as cool-headed quality. Where players are out of form though, it still appears to be tough for new lads to break into the squad and replace them. Downing at his best wasn't great, but he's on the decline as an effective player worth the England shirt

Downing is just keeping Adam Johnson's place warm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When the Dutch players sniped at each other and fell out with managers, I thought what a waste of talent. When English players do it, I think well he's shit anyway what difference would he make in what is frankly a 2nd rate team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ok, he might not be the BEST English central midfielder, but he would certainly rank in the top five at the moment.

Adam Johnson
Jack Wilshere
Scott Parker
James Milner
Ashley Young

All arguably better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whatever their shortcomings, and the fact that everyone is BORED with them, both Gerrard and Lampard are also better players than Barton.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Adam Johnson
Jack Wilshere
Scott Parker
James Milner
Ashley Young

All arguably better.

Ok. CENTRAL midfield. James Milner and Ashley Young are not better. Although, of course, football is all about opinions.

My top five, depending on them all being fit and on form, would be Gerrard, Lampard, Barton, Parker and Wilshere.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd still have Michael Carrick ahead of Barton too.

But I do have sympathy for Walt's assertion that Barton is in the top 5 in the country. It simply goes to show we have about eight second rate midfielders and no more than one or maybe two proper class acts playing there.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Joey Barton has had his best season for a long time this season, he's worked really hard on sorting himself out and I think deserves a lot of credit for that, just the one blemish when he gently tapped that Blackburn chap in the gut but otherwise he's turned a corner this season and his game has improved accordingly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ok. CENTRAL midfield. James Milner and Ashley Young are not better. Although, of course, football is all about opinions.

My top five, depending on them all being fit and on form, would be Gerrard, Lampard, Barton, Parker and Wilshere.

I'm sorry, Ashley Young is TWICE the player Barton is. There's a reason Man Utd and Real Madrid have been sniffing around Young for years, he is World Class when playing to the top of his game.

Milner is....borderline, fair enough. Adam Johnson is a miles better all-round player than Barton.

Yup, opinions etc.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm sorry, Ashley Young is TWICE the player Barton is. There's a reason Man Utd and Real Madrid have been sniffing around Young for years, he is World Class when playing to the top of his game.

Milner is....borderline, fair enough. Adam Johnson is a miles better all-round player than Barton.

Yup, opinions etc.

Ashley Young is class. But not in the traditional central midfield role which Barton et al operate in.

Adam Johnson is better as well. But my point was CENTRAL midfield players. Not players who play in a front three, behind a forward, or on the wing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ashley Young is class. But not in the traditional central midfield role which Barton et al operate in.

Adam Johnson is better as well. But my point was CENTRAL midfield players. Not players who play in a front three, behind a forward, or on the wing.

Oh ok, well fair enough, in that specific area Barton probably is one of the best 5.

More importantly, a Star Wars quiz question;

What exact line is said in ALL 6 films?

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Lampard
Gerrard
Parker
Wilshere
Nolan
Milner
Henderson

all better

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Oh ok, well fair enough, in that specific area Barton probably is one of the best 5.

More importantly, a Star Wars quiz question;

What exact line is said in ALL 6 films?

NOt sure about the line but the Wilhelm scream is in them all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports