Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I could maybe get it if he was miles the wrong side of 30, but he is only 30 - no age for a centre-back, especially a wily one who's never relied on pace or athleticism anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I could maybe get it if he was miles the wrong side of 30, but he is only 30 - no age for a centre-back, especially a wily one who's never relied on pace or athleticism anyway.
Yup. Could not have many complaints if he's not in the final 26 but not to be part of this 39 man provisional squad is a joke.

However, it is King Louie style. When he takes over a club and both times when taking charge of the Netherlands, he throws out most of the veterans, pick players no one has heard of and then perform equal to or above expectations. The omission of Veltman is met with a shrug in the Netherlands.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Veltman is not the first by any means, and won't be the last, to not get picked for his country when he deserves too. I hate it for Joel as he has been playing well enough to be involved, but he is a consummate professional and I am sure he will not let this distract him when he puts on the blue and white.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
certainly a brilliant defender.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Big shame for Joel personally but collectively a bonus he also gets a rest for a few weeks.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I love Veltman.

But he frustrates the hell out of us when he doesn't release Solly but plays it inside to Mac Argie or Caicedo or backwards to Dunk.

Marked difference on Saturday with Gross letting the Solly loose with balls allowing him to run at Cucu and which caused no end of problems for Chelsea.

Sped up our whole attack. No idea if it's JVs idea to not do this or RDZ coaching but from our seats, this is right infront of us and seen it time and time again.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I love Veltman.

But he frustrates the hell out of us when he doesn't release Solly but plays it inside to Mac Argie or Caicedo or backwards to Dunk.

Marked difference on Saturday with Gross letting the Solly loose with balls allowing him to run at Cucu and which caused no end of problems for Chelsea.

Sped up our whole attack. No idea if it's JVs idea to not do this or RDZ coaching but from our seats, this is right infront of us and seen it time and time again.
Thought we looked a bit vulnerable down that side first half especially, good job Sterling was so shit.
Veltman can't come back quick enough for me.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thought we looked a bit vulnerable down that side first half especially, good job Sterling was so shit.
Veltman can't come back quick enough for me.
This, Veltman (and now Mitoma) are my favourite players. Love Joel - novelty of the bargain we got aside. He has been one of our best and most consistent players since he signed. Class act

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Veltman’s a brilliant RB, or RCB in a 3. The best defensive qualities RB I’ve seen in The Stripes and that goes back to 1976. Going forward, a 7/10, but that’s secondary in his role …. simply passing it to creative players. A master of the dark defensive arts, a crafty wind-up artist, with exemplary football intelligence to sniff out danger across the back.

Plus he saves wildlife.

My POTS last two seasons.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Veltman’s a brilliant RB, or RCB in a 3. The best defensive qualities RB I’ve seen in The Stripes and that goes back to 1976. Going forward, a 7/10, but that’s secondary in his role …. simply passing it to creative players. A master of the dark defensive arts, a crafty wind-up artist, with exemplary football intelligence to sniff out danger across the back.

Plus he saves wildlife.

My POTS last two seasons.
Mine too

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I love Veltman.

And there’s the rub. Speed apart, Gross is probably better than most of our players in a lot of positions. Shame we can’t clone him!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Veltman is a great defender but anyone who thinks he's going to have the same impact on the attacking play as Gross... I'd label them delusional. Veltman is a very poor crosser of the ball, can't beat anyone in an attacking 1on1 and does not have the same vision or touch on the ball as Gross. He play safely because he is well aware of what he can and cannot do.

I'm sure he'll keep playing most games but there are occasions - like if the opponents are leaving a load of space on their half - where someone like Gross could be more useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here