Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman Appreciation

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Thought I'd bounce this after yesterday's game.

Specifically for the very unorthodox block where he flopped to the ground getting his heels back to deflect rashfords shit onto the bar.
And got kneed on the head for it
And got up and smiled about it
Great player, does everything so well, we are so lucky to have him.

Remember what he cost, imagine the cost to replace him!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This was why I was disappointed he didn’t start the first few matches of the season
Absolutely. I was astonished - especially after we fought hard to insist his contract option was activated, when it looked like he might leave.

I couldn't understand at all how anyone could think Milner was worth playing ahead of him at RB.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolute hero. Our most professional footballer - in all senses.
Agreed, and yet also probably the most unsung of our squad members, the one who many people still notice the least and dosen't get noticed.

A great shame, but in a way maybe that's the way he likes it, he certainly doesn't seem to be a character who seeks the limelight. He does need to be starting more games though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Absolutely. I was astonished - especially after we fought hard to insist his contract option was activated, when it looked like he might leave.

I couldn't understand at all how anyone could think Milner was worth playing ahead of him at RB.
Milner at RB didn't work for me either, however, it only really came unstuck against West Ham (which was the game I felt we really needed Veltman). Milner was perfectly good against Luton and Wolves.

However, Veltman is a better RB. I personally would start him at RB, but we need to know if our other options are sufficient so it made some sense to understand Milner's ability in that position. Who knows, maybe Milner was just better in training for the 1st couple of weeks?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Never met Joel but he (and Pascal) are my favourite players. I love RDZ, the only decision I’ve ever questioned of his was picking Milner over him at RB. Veltman makes us a better team, he is one of the most underrated players in the league, let alone our squad. Superb defender.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A full Dutch international, a product of the famous Ajax academy and a player who played a part in helping his boyhood club to the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2019.

Despite all that, Brighton were the only club interested in activating an unspecified release clause in Veltman's Ajax contract, allowing them to sign him for just £900,000 in the summer of 2020. A remarkable price for a defender who is a solid 7/10 every time he plays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here