Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] João Pedro's Penalties to end 2023

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
here's my guess, i think he appears to be looking down at the ball, but really, he's looking at the goalie's hips, and then flicks his eyes down just before contact with the ball. dunno, good tho'
That's the most detailed breakdown I have heard. Don't know if it's the best but with the hips..., sorry Forest just scored, lost my train of thought :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He waits for the keeper then slots it the other side.
This is one thing he 100% doesn’t do!

I think he looks at one position before he takes it then puts it the other way.

Luton h seemed the only time the technique was different.

He def does not look where the keeper dives at all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Not a chance. He strokes it in calmly knowing the keeper has gone the wrong way. He's certainly not relying on the keeper being tricked by him looking at the other corner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not a chance. He strokes it in calmly knowing the keeper has gone the wrong way. He's certainly not relying on the keeper being tricked by him looking at the other corner.
Look at his head he is looking purely at the ball - not the keeper…

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

he must do to send him the wrong way 7 out of 8 times

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i think his head is down but his eyes are up, so to speak!
Can’t see it…

It’s baffling but has to be the eyes at the start or the run up - whatever it is it works…

IMG_7606.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
he's deffo looking at the ball as his kicking foot comes forward, but just before that? i don't know, but neither do the goalies!
Would love to know as I always assumed it was that but can’t see any head movement - either eye swivel or eyes before he takes it. It’s odd but works.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
In my uniformed opinion (but I've said it before) he looks at the keeper, doesn't look at the ball until he's done his shimmy and then smacks it before the keeper moves. He probably looks at the keeper, looks at a point at the net & repeats a couple of times so that the keeper thinks he's going to put it at the place he looks at. He does eyeball the keeper a lot though and just does small eye glances to where he's not going to put it. Basically proper mind games, even if a keeper does realise that he isn't going to put it where he's pretending to look at, there's still a lot of places where he can put it. difficult for a keeper to be in all those potential places at once. I am now at the point that I said to Jnr on Thur, on our 1st pen that the law of averages must come into play. It didn't so I think it's witchcraft. :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I don't think he does this unless it's a very subtle last minute thing that doesn't get picked up by the cameras. As far as I can tell he looks to his left/the keepers right and then places it in either corner.

The fact that he sends the keeper the wrong way so often must mean he does something to trick him as he doesn't appear to look at the keeper when he's taking it.

We need someone to do a proper forensic breakdown of his technique, body position, movement and eyes.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I agree he must be doing something or just with averages we'd expect the keeper to guess right more frequently. There's that thing about how elite tennis serving is impossibly fast to react to - brains and bodies can't process and respond that fast. So players are reading and responding to racket and body and foot position and other signs before the ball is hit and can instinctively through practice pre-empt speed and where it'll bounce and how high and with what spin etc (there's a fun anecdote about how Agassi learned to read Becker's serves by seeing where his tongue was before he served). I wonder if this is something similar and he can fool a goalkeepers reading of him that works for almost every other player? More subtle than most of us would ever pick up, or necessarily be able to pick up from our or the camera view.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
If I were the keeper I would just stay put and see what happens, that might get JP a bit confused. I guess you only have to hesitate for a tenth of a second to f**k things up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here