Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Not long before he joined us, Jiri was the best player on the pitch in a 3-2 win over Holland.

He'll be in the final 23.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Sparta supporting friend reckoned he was the worst player on the pitch in the last international. Not sure if sour grapes because he came to Brighton, and wanted to wind me up.. I think he will get better and better myself.

We have quite a few Nigerians in Prague who know me now following Albions progress :thumbsup:

Not for me. Knocky and March our starting wingers next season, guys who can actually beat a full back

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
He is the best crosser of a ball we have and also a dead ball expert. But when I watch Jiri I always have a nagging feeling that his defensive qualities are limited and therefore exposes our defence. I'd be interested to know how much or little distance he covers compared to our other midfield players.
I'm probably wrong and love his passion for our club and fans.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He is the best crosser of a ball we have and also a dead ball expert. But when I watch Jiri I always have a nagging feeling that his defensive qualities are limited and therefore exposes our defence. I'd be interested to know how much or little distance he covers compared to our other midfield players.

Think you'll find he covers back just fine but his tackling may not be the best. It'll improve though.
A certainty for the Czech team, probably as a sub initially but expect to see a fair bit of him on the tellybox over the summer.
He is so far and away our best crosser of the ball I can't see him failing to start most games next season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sparta supporting friend reckoned he was the worst player on the pitch in the last international. Not sure if sour grapes because he came to Brighton, and wanted to wind me up.. I think he will get better and better myself.

We have quite a few Nigerians in Prague who know me now following Albions progress :thumbsup:

Well done Dave keep growing the family

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Considering how swiftly he improved in half a season, I think he'll play a big role next season. I'm just gutted he hasn't got a Panini sticker.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Tell me he was at a fancy dress party please .

1444911948-jiri-skalak-photo.png

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think that's harsh. Early on it might have been true but he put in a lot of work over the last six or seven games, he worked really hard. I think he took a bit of time to adjust to the game over here and has been excellent since. Although he doesn't work as hard as Knockaert. I've rarely seen a winger work as hard as Knockaert.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What a strange thing to say? So a winger has to be able to beat a full back does he?

I don't personally think it's the ability to beat a full back per se, but the ability to carry the ball, and consequently the team, further up the pitch that we miss when Skalak is in the side. He's probably the most deadly with his crossing and finishing ability once we're higher up the pitch, but at this moment in time (and this may change), he doesn't carry us up the pitch in the way Murphy, Knockaert and March can and that often leaves our forwards disconnected from the rest of the side.

Not that that's a slight on Skalak. He just has different qualities to the others.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't personally think it's the ability to beat a full back per se, but the ability to carry the ball, and consequently the team, further up the pitch that we miss when Skalak is in the side. He's probably the most deadly with his crossing and finishing ability once we're higher up the pitch, but at this moment in time (and this may change), he doesn't carry us up the pitch in the way Murphy, Knockaert and March can and that often leaves our forwards disconnected from the rest of the side.

Not that that's a slight on Skalak. He just has different qualities to the others.

I would say it's the different options we have on the wings that make us so strong. LuaLua uses sheer pace, Murphy is less quick but has better positioning, is more skilful and scores goals, Knockaert is just amazing and Skalak has a fantastic cross and free kick. We'll have to wait and see with March. Will he come back from injury in the form he was when he got injured?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would say it's the different options we have on the wings that make us so strong. LuaLua uses sheer pace, Murphy is less quick but has better positioning, is more skilful and scores goals, Knockaert is just amazing and Skalak has a fantastic cross and free kick. We'll have to wait and see with March. Will he come back from injury in the form he was when he got injured?

Oh for sure. The wide options we have are excellent. Personally I'd be looking to swap one of those players in for one of the forwards, possibly Skalak or Murphy in fact, to give us 3 men roving behind said forward.

But the options are excellent, and Skalak is a part of those options, and he's a player I'd expect to play a lot next season. The point I was making was just an isolated one in reference to the previous poster's comment that March and Knockaert offer skills that suit the way we play the most as the drag the whole side further up the pitch.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Oh for sure. The wide options we have are excellent. Personally I'd be looking to swap one of those players in for one of the forwards, possibly Skalak or Murphy in fact, to give us 3 men roving behind said forward.

But the options are excellent, and Skalak is a part of those options, and he's a player I'd expect to play a lot next season. The point I was making was just an isolated one in reference to the previous poster's comment that March and Knockaert offer skills that suit the way we play the most as the drag the whole side further up the pitch.

Agreed. We can't expect too much from March though early next season. Took him a couple of months to find form this season after missing the end of the previous season. It will potentially take him even longer next season, if he's even ready for pre season, as he's been out for longer. We will see what happens next season but, as it stands with nobody leaving, the wingers are one of two positions (the other being goalkeeper assuming Maennpa and Ankergren both sign the new deals) where we don't need to sign anyone.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Agreed. We can't expect too much from March though early next season. Took him a couple of months to find form this season after missing the end of the previous season. It will potentially take him even longer next season, if he's even ready for pre season, as he's been out for longer. We will see what happens next season but, as it stands with nobody leaving, the wingers are one of two positions (the other being goalkeeper assuming Maennpa and Ankergren both sign the new deals) where we don't need to sign anyone.
Agreed, I remember how he was mightily slagged off by NSCers for being too lightweight pre-Cardiff at home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here