Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jimmy greaves

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
i know this is a thread that has probably little reference to anything current but the one about english players in italy caught my eye and i responded re greavesies time in milan. having seen the guy live a fair few times i just thought id share this, am sure there are many out there who have witnessed his genius

i first saw him live at stamford bridge in the season following 67 cup win against chelsea. it was 2-0 to chelsea and although being a spyrs fan out of the two, i ended up in shed end. the players were endless in legendary status. osgood hutchinson cooke harris gilzean etc etc but was only there to see greaves. quiet day i recall, i was only 16.....this little cut out though described the genius to a tee

Quote "Jimmy Greaves was a household name many years ago, but everyone who saw him play say that he was England's greatest ever goal scorer, and has still yet to be matched, and when you look at his statistics, they suggest as much - and you can't argue with the facts. Jimmy Greaves was a footballing genius, at a time when money and TV rights were not a major factor in the game, and the boots and the ball were not the subject of millions of pounds worth of scientific research. Just imagine the damage he would have done, given a pair of Predators and a Tango football - there would have been goalkeepers and defenders retiring all over the country!!

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
yes, in many ways one of the best re alcoholism mainly because it was i guess a pioneer in that area. his drinking with mackays, norman etc is pretty legendary. as is, if you read it his reference to john budgie byrne when he was at palarse. now theres a story and i can say i was witness to it all as well, even though i should not have been in pub lol

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
John Boy said:
Is he the one who said living in Italy was like living in a foriegn country? :lolol:

he basically left because the clubs did not approve of drinking, which i guess that being about to join the alcoholic ranks was a bit of a bind lol

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Problem is that people of my generation will have only witnessed his generally bad TV career.

Having read his book it put him in a different light.

Natural talent.

Shame the drinking took it's toll, I think he also says in his book that he never really did any training either.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
clapham_gull said:
Problem is that people of my generation will have only witnessed his generally bad TV career.

Having read his book it put him in a different light.

Natural talent.

Shame the drinking took it's toll, I think he also says in his book that he never really did any training either.
thats true... he used to save his best for man utd, i went several times in 60's when one minute he would go on a dazzling run and beat players with ease and then bestie would do same other end. i know it all sounds nostalgic but believe me he really was a genius. and yes his idea of training was hardly of current day lol

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
his best goal in my mind was around 68. against newcastle at home. he got ball (i was there) om left touch line inside own half and ran down line until about 30 yd short of goal line then cut inside around a number of players before dribbling around montgomerie ( i recall it was his early days?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
..................... and then you see Drogba, dancing like a fairy.

Actually, I love supporting BHAFC.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
gwpdylan said:
his best goal in my mind was around 68. against newcastle at home. he got ball (i was there) om left touch line inside own half and ran down line until about 30 yd short of goal line then cut inside around a number of players before dribbling around montgomerie ( i recall it was his early days?

Thought Jim Montgomery played for Sunderland I must have it mixed up. I thought that Newcastles goalkeeper then was McFaul.

Jimmy Greaves was the best goal poacher ever who was deadly in the 6yd box but I very rarely saw him go on long mazy runs beating defenders. As a goal poacher he was sublime but I have seen a lot better at dribbling past defenders from the halfway line.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here