Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] JFK 60 years on

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This Wednesday it’ll be 60 years since, as a 9 year old, I was playing with a friend, whose birthday it was that day, when his dad told us JFK had been assassinated.

I remember being shocked and upset. As a kid the threat of a nuclear holocaust was so real. The Cuban missile crisis, hearing air raid sirens from the fire station at Preston Circus and my main source of news, Giles cartoons, showing grey rainy days with the threat of impending annihilation.

I don’t want to get into a political binfest, but apart from his apparent womanising failings, JFK was a champion of human rights and an incredibly passionate and intelligent advocate for a better world.

LBJ was a consummate failure and I can’t think of a President, since, with fraction of JFK’s integrity.

Trump & Biden? How has it ever come to this?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Agreed and letting his brother go after the Mafia, who helped elect him was his undoing…

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
One of my earliest memories of the world beyond my parents' house. I was 5 years old. It was early evening. We'd had our tea and I was playing with my brother and sisters. Then something happened on the TV. Some sort of announcement. My parents were standing in the middle of the room, staring silently at the TV. My mother had her hands up, at the side of her head, as if in shock. I’d no idea what was going on but I knew it must be serious.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of my earliest memories of the world beyond my parents' house. I was 5 years old. It was early evening. We'd had our tea and I was playing with my brother and sisters. Then something happened on the TV. Some sort of announcement. My parents were standing in the middle of the room, staring silently at the TV. My mother had her hands up, at the side of her head, as if in shock. I’d no idea what was going on but I knew it must be serious.
And was it ?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As a 15 year old in 1991 I saw the movie JFK and (regardless of people’s views about the accuracy of the movie) it triggered a life long interest in me, and certainly accounts for my most studied moment in history. I’ve lost count of the amount of books I’ve read / documentaries I’ve seen about the Kennedy family, conspiracy theories and rebuttals etc.

I just find it fascinating and no other historical location that I’ve been to around the world in my 48 years has matched the emotions I felt in 2005, when I was able to go to the Sixth FloorMuseum / Dealey Plaza / Grassy Knoll. It’s really quite something.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was at scouts at the Ralli Hall when the caretaker popped his head round the door and gave us the sad news. Shame he never got the chance to fulfil his potential.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After the Cuban missile crisis, it was a huge shock because nobody knew if it was the Russians, mafia or a nutter. Then the assassinator was himself shot, which caused more doubts and worries.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was 13 months old so remember bugger all about it.

Still, have seen lots of documentaries since and it is a fascinating subject.

Waiting for Sydney to post that it was all fake and JFK is alive and well living on island in the Indian ocean somewhere (albeit that he is 106!).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Edit: this is f***ing brilliant.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
As a 15 year old in 1991 I saw the movie JFK and (regardless of people’s views about the accuracy of the movie) it triggered a life long interest in me, and certainly accounts for my most studied moment in history. I’ve lost count of the amount of books I’ve read / documentaries I’ve seen about the Kennedy family, conspiracy theories and rebuttals etc.

I just find it fascinating and no other historical location that I’ve been to around the world in my 48 years has matched the emotions I felt in 2005, when I was able to go to the Sixth FloorMuseum / Dealey Plaza / Grassy Knoll. It’s really quite something.
Genuine question to someone who has taken a deep interest in the topic -- what's your view on who killed JFK?

I won't pretend that I've taken a massive interest but like most people, I'm well aware of the theories, and I've read a bit about it over the years. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature, and (despite odd bits of mldly circumstantial evidence), I have to believe that it was an individual act by Oswald.

More generally, I totally agree that it' can be incredibly emotional and (if it doesn't sound crass) thrilling to visit modern history venues. For me, the 9/11 memorial in New York was a deeply affecting experience, as was Auschwitz. On a more pedestrian level, a walking tour of West Belfast with an ex-H Block prisoner was pretty amazing too.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Genuine question to someone who has taken a deep interest in the topic -- what's your view on who killed JFK?

I won't pretend that I've taken a massive interest but like most people, I'm well aware of the theories, and I've read a bit about it over the years. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature, and (despite odd bits of mldly circumstantial evidence), I have to believe that it was an individual act by Oswald.

More generally, I totally agree that it' can be incredibly emotional and (if it doesn't sound crass) thrilling to visit modern history venues. For me, the 9/11 memorial in New York was a deeply affecting experience, as was Auschwitz. On a more pedestrian level, a walking tour of West Belfast with an ex-H Block prisoner was pretty amazing too.
Personally I think it’s highly likely that LHO was involved, but that it’s even more likely that he carried it out under instruction and therefore acted with others.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
His wife standing there in her blood splattered clothes while Johnson got swore in
Incredible

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
LBJ was a consummate failure and I can’t think of a President, since, with fraction of JFK’s integrity.
Was LBJ a consummate failure? He pushed through a heap of civil rights legislation and made changes to healthcare and eduction. He did get bogged down in Vietnam though. I'd say he had a mixed record. And if you're talking about integrity, I'd say Jimmy Carter is probably one of the most moral and upright people to have ever been president. You can certainly argue that he was an ineffecitve president but I don't think even the Republicans would have questioned his integrity.

I didn't hear about JFK's assassination until the following morning and wasn't sure who he was. I was more looking forward to a new series starting on TV that evening. It was called Dr Who ... whatever happened to it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here