Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard's best position?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For all the constant talk about strikers, what this system relies on is midfielders who get beyond the main front man. Just look at Swansea's win yesterday. Where we have a problem is in central midfield.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
For all the constant talk about strikers, what this system relies on is midfielders who get beyond the main front man. Just look at Swansea's win yesterday. Where we have a problem is in central midfield.

Totally agree. It surprises me that we are not playing Lingard in his best position which looks to be in the hole as a second striker/attacking midfielder.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
and the wide men not scoring enough

True - they need to take their chances as well. But how often do we get crosses into the box and there's no-one following up. Yesterday it wasn't as if the midfield was sitting deep (as we saw when a Boro player picked up Greer's interception with no Albion players in sight), but we seem to be playing in front of our opponents' defence all the time. Miss Crofty's knack of arriving at the right moment. Andews did it once v Boro, but struggling to think of any others. Stephens looks promising on that score, but his absence is all a bit of a mystery to me...

His best position is as an advanced playmaker. He defends one of the flanks yet in attack gets into pockets of space around the opposition defence and was very effective in doing so yesterday, nearly scoring in the process. It's what Barnes did for us to a degree but I believe Lingard is a far better player.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
True - they need to take their chances as well. But how often do we get crosses into the box and there's no-one following up. Yesterday it wasn't as if the midfield was sitting deep (as we saw when a Boro player picked up Greer's interception with no Albion players in sight), but we seem to be playing in front of our opponents' defence all the time. Miss Crofty's knack of arriving at the right moment. Andews did it once v Boro, but struggling to think of any others. Stephens looks promising on that score, but his absence is all a bit of a mystery to me...

Oh i agree ..but i would add the standard of our crossing has been poor recently....4 corners in a row from the SW corner were overhit almost reaching the east stand.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Lingard is very average and total powderpuff. Have Seen absolutely nothing from him that I don't believe we'd be getting better from March or Lua Lua.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did we sign the right player in Lingard? Is he the same one that scored 4 in his first game for Birmingham City? He doesn't even look like be able to get 4 shots on target.

Did we actually end up with Anders Lindegaard from Man Utd?

Or is our coaching set up just ruining promising young players?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did we sign the right player in Lingard? Is he the same one that scored 4 in his first game for Birmingham City? He doesn't even look like be able to get 4 shots on target.

Did we actually end up with Anders Lindegaard from Man Utd?

Or is our coaching set up just ruining promising young players?

He's a youngster who needs an arm round the shoulder and a bit of encouragement from the watching audience. We don't want to knock all confidence out of him and ruin what could be a top career at Man U, or we won't be trusted with such youngsters in future.

We must have promised Moyes that he'd play every game

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well he could still play another 7 games, and if he continues to improve like he is, then possibly another 2, and if he plays well in those then another one, and if we win that one there's a chance he could be back for the full season next year. Who knows?

He's only contracted at United for one more year, which I'd imagine makes this unlikely, although it's probably not the most unlikely point in that post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here