Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still think that Tex has more potential and will turn out to be much better

Willing to hold my hand up and say I wasn't THAT Impressed by Lingard or Wood, who so many were creaming themselves about when he scored a couple of goals for Millwall and Leicester.

Tex, however, could sometimes really excite me in a much worse team than Lingard played in

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Lingard and Tex both quality and both will do well for United and Liverpool. That's why they came here....For game time. Now they are good enough for first team football in England's top league.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Fair play to him, he's doing well at the moment, but I thought he was massively overrated here.
l

Really? I thought he was quality. What aspects of his game didn't you like?

One of the best players I've ever seen in the stripes.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's balls though isn't it, 1 great goal does not a to player make. He didn't to much for Brighton and he made absolutely no impact at Derby and was at various times behind Tom Ince, Johnny Russell, Simon Dawkins and Jamie Ward in the pecking order. Obviously he may have improved a little but....

Sorry in response to post #2....

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought he did ok here, played particularly well against QPR as I recall.

It's always difficult for a young player coming to the championship to effectively learn their trade.

In terms of end product he could've done better, but you could just see from the way held himself and the positions he got into that he had the potential to be a proper player.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Willing to hold my hand up and say I wasn't THAT Impressed by Lingard or Wood, who so many were creaming themselves about when he scored a couple of goals for Millwall and Leicester.

Tex, however, could sometimes really excite me in a much worse team than Lingard played in

I thought he was better than Tex: less skilful but quicker , better movement and more direct

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does go to show you need tough hard players to get you out of the championship then players like him in the premier league

I'd never really given that any thought but there's seems plenty in that.
It certainly goes some way to explain why relegated teams don't go straight back up.

Always was the way. Pat Saward's 1972 promotion winning team played some beautiful football, but got muscled out of it and generally mauled in the second division and came straight back down. Always felt that if by some strange quirk they'd been promoted straight through to the first division, they'd probably have done better there than in the bloodbath that was division two!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry Icy, 5-6 good games in a season didn't cut it for me.

Just not a Tex fan, bit of a show pony, who frequently chose the wrong option. Will probably end up being a 'world beater'. [emoji2]

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Really? I thought he was quality. What aspects of his game didn't you like?

One of the best players I've ever seen in the stripes.

Sorry - can't see how you could possibly draw that conclusion based on his time with us. In my view, he was ok in the box, but he was very lightweight - easily dispossessed, his passing was dreadful and he far too often often gave the ball away in dangerous situations.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Didn't Jessie have an issue with nerves, taking pills before the game that sort of thing?

May be that has been resolved, together with a bit of beefing up.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It would be interesting to see what the correlation would be between those on here who didn't rate either Lingard or Tex (or both) when they were here, and those who were always slating Ashley Barnes, who was very different, but who went on to do tolerably well in the Premier league with Burnley.

For the record, I rated all three pretty highly.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'll say what I said at the time - he had a good spell with us and certainly improved us as a team.

Tidy player, never did much wrong and I was always really impressed by his intelligent off the ball running and his ability to find a bit of space where it didn't look like there was any. He'd clearly been coached superbly.

Really glad he's getting a run at United, it was far from a forgone conclusion.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It would be interesting to see what the correlation would be between those on here who didn't rate either Lingard or Tex (or both) when they were here, and those who were always slating Ashley Barnes, who was very different, but who went on to do tolerably well in the Premier league with Burnley.

For the record, I rated all three pretty highly.

For the record, I thought Ash was class, Tex was class and Lingard was shite.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll say what I said at the time - he had a good spell with us and certainly improved us as a team.

Tidy player, never did much wrong and I was always really impressed by his intelligent off the ball running and his ability to find a bit of space where it didn't look like there was any. He'd clearly been coached superbly.

Really glad he's getting a run at United, it was far from a forgone conclusion.

That was my take on him too. He makes some lovely intelligent runs across the pitch that quickly pull defenders out of position. But I always felt he was a little lightweight and his finishing was circumspect, but both of those attributes could be improved and I suspect they have.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
and now called up for England on Tuesday :ohmy:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The NSC Classic: A player is either a world beater or complete s**te. No middle ground...

This thread is full of opinions that are down the middle. No one has called him world class or shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here