Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Bumped into him outside the SE entrance after the Spurs game here when his mate in the black Range Rover collected him. Said hello, pleasant chap....not very tall for all that money.

If it were he and Murray, a combined age of 69 is a little worrying.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Where do Bournemouth get the money from with such a small stadium? Is it down to where they finish in the prem?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Great player but not what we need at that cost. Style of play wouldn't fit as we're bound to be a counter-attacking side and also reckon for the first year we need to invest in assets who we'd still have (and want to have on those deals) IF the worst should happen (which I don't think it will).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So we still can't compete with Bournemouth, and this goes back to when we were in the Championship with them and we couldn't get Grabban to sign.

Still waiting for the Bournemouth bubble to burst.....seems having the infrastructure is not so important after all......
Smug Eddie was cheating in the Championship we stayed within ffp rules so not really a question of couldn't compete.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I believe Defoe has not scored since the 0-4 palace game. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Blunderland have been goalless in 18 of their 34 Premier League games this season.

Clearly that's far from being just JD's fault, but nevertheless that's a lot of £80,000's for not a lot of output.

He has scored more than half of their goals this season and lies 12th in table of prem goal scorers this season....All but 3 of those above him would go £50 million plus , the others are Ibrahimovic (350k a week) Benteke (£25 million) and little old Josh King who is being touted by a few clubs and is likely to be £25 +.... I would expect him to score about 10 goals and we would wrap our style to play around him IN THOSE GAMES WE PLAY HIM.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Got the first bit and agree with it, but am not so sure of the second bit -- again, care to elaborate why?

Because we don't play a genuine 4-4-2 which is how Defoe needs to operate to be at his best

We play 1 off a big man and Defoe cant play the Baldock role, not in my opinion anyway, he needs to be on the defenders shoulder making clever runs not working his ass off helping the midifeld out when we are out of posession.

He also cannot play the lone striker role which I suspect we will employ away from home in a lot of games next season.

So do I rate Defoe, ofcourse, and in a season when goals scored will be more vital than ever to our chances of surviving it is mad how i dont see him working for us.

Would i be thrilled if we signed him for a year ?... damn right i would, I suspect he will end up at West Ham or Bmuff, both sides will offer considerably more than us, even if CH does have a good relationship with him

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because we don't play a genuine 4-4-2 which is how Defoe needs to operate to be at his best

We play 1 off a big man and Defoe cant play the Baldock role, not in my opinion anyway, he needs to be on the defenders shoulder making clever runs not working his ass off helping the midifeld out when we are out of posession.

He also cannot play the lone striker role which I suspect we will employ away from home in a lot of games next season.

So do I rate Defoe, ofcourse, and in a season when goals scored will be more vital than ever to our chances of surviving it is mad how i dont see him working for us.

Would i be thrilled if we signed him for a year ?... damn right i would, I suspect he will end up at West Ham or Bmuff, both sides will offer considerably more than us, even if CH does have a good relationship with him

OK, fair enough, you've nearly convinced me. I do agree about how he'd play in a two, but he's done pretty well at Sunderland playing up-front on his own. Agree that West Ham and B'muff are likelier destinations but, as others have said, we'd have to adapt to him and are capable of doing so.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Read this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...uch-is-premier-league-promotion-really-worth/. Tells you all you need to know why playing to an empty stadium wouldn't make that much difference to a PL team financially.

Bigger stadiums could actually HARM your income! They'll be CGI ing crowds in soon enough and do away with stadiums. A pitch surrounding by giant green screens - the shape of football to come and it's no end of greed / worldwide appeal!!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If he goes to Bournemouth can we put in a cheeky bid for Callum Wilson would be perfect off a bigger striker

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's not a side in the Prem that wouldn't like to have Defoe in their squad, I think there's even a case for Spurs going back in for him for the 15th time never mind us.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
West Ham fans pretty much to a man utterly hate Defoe. They have a ditty for him that makes our Ulloa>Murray song look like it was a complement to Glenn!
Therefore with the board WHU now have and given how much they respect their fans views I'd say Defoe will sign for WHU by 2nd July!!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So we still can't compete with Bournemouth, and this goes back to when we were in the Championship with them and we couldn't get Grabban to sign.

Still waiting for the Bournemouth bubble to burst.....seems having the infrastructure is not so important after all......

One day,one day.......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Bet you vote Labour too! :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here