Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn's conference speech

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Heaven forbid people be allowed their own opinions.

In what way has he been rattled exactly? By giving straight answers?

i wouldnt describe it as rattled, but there does seem to be an edge to his interviews i cant put my finger on, of either being irritated or annoyed at having to answer the question. quite possibly for the upteenth time and across different journalists. i just watched a piece with quesiton about business and his style was evident of this. early doors this has been labeled the new style of politics, refreshing etc. but i think journalist may rapidly tire of answers with an air of intellectual loftiness - why are you asking this question again, why are you probing my answer rather than simply accept it.

Nov 27, 2009
He's a total nutter, like the rest of you working class heroes. He makes citizen smith look like Barbara Cartland. Trendy lefties died out with cnd, when Kinnock fell into the sea in Brighton. He waffles a lot, yet he's clueless how he's going to pay for any of his wacky ideas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's a total nutter, like the rest of you working class heroes. He makes citizen smith look like Barbara Cartland. Trendy lefties died out with cnd, when Kinnock fell into the sea in Brighton. He waffles a lot, yet he's clueless how he's going to pay for any of his wacky ideas.

Citizen Smith, Barbara Cartland? Do you mean he has the power to turn a fictional character into a writer of fiction? I'll have to muse on that a bit....???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Privsate education, very comfortable middle class upbrining, nice pad in central London. Raise the Red Flag

It's not that you have a privileged background, it's what you do with that privilege.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Privsate education, very comfortable middle class upbrining, nice pad in central London. Raise the Red Flag

It's your traditions, beliefs and values which define your class. To me he's working class

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only thing that is important is that Corbyn wants you to go to work, maybe take a risk or two, and then if you succeed, hand the money you have made to him and he will give it to someone who he thinks is worthy. You sign up for that if you take, but not if you produce.

I "produce", I have signed up to Corbyn.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's your traditions, beliefs and values which define your class. To me he's working class

Isn't it tradition to sing the national anthem at remembrance services?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I "produce", I have signed up to Corbyn.
And if he ever got in you will be very , very sorry when you see them spunking YOUR money up the wall like its going out of fashion, i can 100% guarantee it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Can anyone answer this and sorry if it has an obvious answer, shutting down trident is obviously very unpopular in this country, but why is it such a vote winner in Scotland for the SNP?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

if thats the case, i think we can safely say class is dead. never mind about occupation, earnings, education, means of production and all that, its all down to what you believe.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Can anyone answer this and sorry if it has an obvious answer, shutting down trident is obviously very unpopular in this country, but why is it such a vote winner in Scotland for the SNP?

But is it? presumably it was one of a raft of policies which the SNP have and it might be that to get the SNP in, the voters went along with that. Presumably the workers on the shipyards serving the submarines do not want it scrapped, and I recall this week listening to their Union boss at the recent conference saying that Corbyn was wrong. And of course the SNP do not necessarily speak for the majority, though clearly have much support. Can anyone offer an expert view on this?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But is it? presumably it was one of a raft of policies which the SNP have and it might be that to get the SNP in, the voters went along with that. Presumably the workers on the shipyards serving the submarines do not want it scrapped, and I recall this week listening to their Union boss at the recent conference saying that Corbyn was wrong. And of course the SNP do not necessarily speak for the majority, though clearly have much support. Can anyone offer an expert view on this?

It is always spoken as a popular policy in Scotland by the press, but I dont know if this individual policy issue has polled. But I assum in this country if any government wanted to scrap trident they would have no hope of power but seemingly the SNP do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And if he ever got in you will be very , very sorry when you see them spunking YOUR money up the wall like its going out of fashion, i can 100% guarantee it.

It depends what you mean by spunking. I don't like waste for sure. But I'm happy to pay more taxes for things I believe in. I pay substantially more "tax" over here. But I feel the money gets spent well and on stuff I want it spent on. I've no issue with this.

I put the tax in quotes as I have to factor in my health insurance which for my situation replaces the state tax for this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if thats the case, i think we can safely say class is dead. never mind about occupation, earnings, education, means of production and all that, its all down to what you believe.

Class isn't dead. And I feel it is indeed what you believe.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It depends what you mean by spunking. I don't like waste for sure. But I'm happy to pay more taxes for things I believe in. I pay substantially more "tax" over here. But I feel the money gets spent well and on stuff I want it spent on. I've no issue with this.

I put the tax in quotes as I have to factor in my health insurance which for my situation replaces the state tax for this.
i could live with higher taxes for sure if it was spent on the right things, but it isnt, and never has been by labour, you also have to factor in the COMPLETELY different psyche of the british and germans , we are still hidebound by the class system over here , with both ends of the spectrum at fault , the top end for its dismissive careless attitude to the workforce and lack of sharing of the pot so to speak, and the lower end for its short term outlook to employment and failure to grasp that the company needs to prosper for them to as well, we really could learn from the germans , however im not sure its possible to change the psyche of a nation .

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Corbyn will give this country back to it's citizens. At present we are being sold off to the lowest bidder, the UK's poor are being vilified and crushed, billions of our money is spent on ridiculous war efforts across the globe to generate trillions for corporations who profit from war, our NHS is being dismantled, property prices are kept artificially high to create sky high property portfolios for the countries richest. This is all happening under the Tory government. It needs to be halted. Corbyn is the best chance we've had for decades.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great idea.

Did he say how it would be financed?
You're not the first person to ask.

As far as I'm concerned he didn't need to say exactly how it would be financed.

If we can afford to give Inheritance Tax cuts to the richest families in our country then I'm sure we can afford to build houses for the poorest.

The more substantial answer would include a detailed analysis of the cost to the of government paying for people to live in expensive private rentals and the massive social/economic benefits that would derive from a more secure and rooted population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here